Question "Can't record audio. Microphone is off or in use."

Search This thread

albstaten

Jul 1, 2022
Has anybody else received this message when attempting to record video on a P6 Pro? I've had this problem for months and a Google search yields only one result of the same problem, with no solution. Posting to Google's help got no replies. It happens fairly frequently, I will attempt to start recording a video, then get an overlay saying, "Can't record audio. Microphone is off or in use." There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and the only surefire way to make it go away is to restart my phone...until it does it again. I have noticed that it seems to happen whenever I've recently used Whatsapp for anything at all (not even using the mic), but it also just does it when I'm intentionally avoiding Whatsapp in hopes of recording usable videos.
I'm at my wits end and to me this seems like a software issue of the microphone permission being held hostage by another program but if I can't even get an acknowledgement of the issue then I'm not sure how it's supposed to be fixed...
I would post a screenshot but it doesn't seem to want to let me post both text and images in the same post...