Cant unlock bootloader on refurbished pixel 2

Search This thread

Hackerdotgov

Jul 6, 2018
I recently bought a refurbished pixel 2 from a phone repair shop and i went through the process to unlock the bootloader, enabling dev options, enabling oem unlocking and usb debugging, ect. but when i boot into the bootloader and run
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
, it throws an error
Code:
FAILED (remote: 'Flashing Unlock is not allowed')
fastboot: error: Command failed

but when i run fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability it returns
Code:
(bootloader) get_unlock_ability: 1
OKAY [  0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.000s

result of 'adb shell getprop sys.oem_unlock_allowed' is 1
result of 'adb shell getprop ro.boot.cid' is 00000000

im running linux and ive tried running the command as sudo and just launching a root terminal to no avail. If anyone can help, it would be very much appreciated

EDIT: Now im even a bit more confused. i ran
Code:
 fastboot oem device_info
and it returns
Code:
(bootloader) Verity mode: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
[B](bootloader) Device critical unlocked: true[/B]
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true
OKAY [  0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.000s

so if critical is unlocked why cant i just unlock the bootloader?

Last edited:

N5X_ita

Mar 20, 2016
How do you know that the pixel was refurbished? I bought one (as new) as well but I fear that it might be refurbished. Is there something to look up in order to check that?

sudoxd

Jan 16, 2017
Adelaide
sudoxd.xyz
How do you know that the pixel was refurbished? I bought one (as new) as well but I fear that it might be refurbished. Is there something to look up in order to check that?

any phone this old listed as new or brand new is 100% refurbished in china using the ****tiest parts and then boxed in a really poor recreation of the stock box and shipped off to a distributor in your country

Reactions: djared704

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
I know that the refurbished pixel 2s that Google sends as replacements have locked bootloaders.

Also the Verizon wireless variant of the pixel 2 has a locked bootloader

So it could be that who ever refurbished your device locked the bootloader permanently

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL

xp99

Aug 28, 2011
I also have the same problem. Reported it to google and they have no solution at this time.

Can I root it with magisk without having to unlock the bootloader first? I know I won't be able to flash twrp to the recovery image though.

If something wen't wrong, could I sideload the last ota and get everything back as long as I can boot to the bootloader?

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
I also have the same problem. Reported it to google and they have no solution at this time.

Can I root it with magisk without having to unlock the bootloader first? I know I won't be able to flash twrp to the recovery image though.

If something wen't wrong, could I sideload the last ota and get everything back as long as I can boot to the bootloader?
Im fairly certain that you need to have unlocked bootloader to root the phone.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL

ragnese

Dec 30, 2019
I'm just grasping at straws here, but did you try *relocking* the device from the critical_unlock, and the unlocking it with the regular unlock command?

13kai13

Jan 13, 2019
I'm on a Pixel 2 warranty replacement from Google directly. The OEM Unlock option is enabled in developer settings as is USB Debugging. The computer has been authorized by the Pixel.

I'm getting those same errors. It's definitely not a Verizon Wireless phone since it's a Canadian phone sold directly by Google.

I'm guessing there is no workaround for this yet. Why would it be listed as bootloader unlock allowed in developer options yet fail when you go to fastboot flashing unlock?

Hackerdotgov

Jul 6, 2018
I'm on a Pixel 2 warranty replacement from Google directly. The OEM Unlock option is enabled in developer settings as is USB Debugging. The computer has been authorized by the Pixel.

I'm getting those same errors. It's definitely not a Verizon Wireless phone since it's a Canadian phone sold directly by Google.

I'm guessing there is no workaround for this yet. Why would it be listed as bootloader unlock allowed in developer options yet fail when you go to fastboot flashing unlock?

maybe there is some sort of failsafe in the kernel that stops it from being bootloader unlocked if a component on the board has been replaced? or maybe google just says "frick you, pay more money if you want root"

but that's just a theory.... A GAY THEORY

fc3211

Nov 13, 2014
Hi I just bought a refurb Pixel 2 on Amazon. When i go to developer options I see the "OEM unlocking" option is completely greyed out. Even after i enabled usb debugging.

Does that mean that my bootloader is impossible to be unlocked? And how is one able to know if they have the Verizon variant?

ACHILLES R32

Dec 28, 2010
VA
Hi I just bought a refurb Pixel 2 on Amazon. When i go to developer options I see the "OEM unlocking" option is completely greyed out. Even after i enabled usb debugging.

Does that mean that my bootloader is impossible to be unlocked? And how is one able to know if they have the Verizon variant?
The refurbished units whether is a Google refurbished or Verizon unit all have locked bootloaders [emoji58]

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL

deepdvd

Mar 1, 2016
This is why I regret doing a warranty through Google Fi. I even had it replaced twice. Both times, the bootloader was locked. It appears to be unlock-able, but then this happens.

Does anyone know if this is limited to just the Pixel 2? I never had this problem with the Nexus 5X phones I had.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

any phone this old listed as new or brand new is 100% refurbished in china using the ****tiest parts and then boxed in a really poor recreation of the stock box and shipped off to a distributor in your country