Can't update HOSTS file

Search This thread

brisseau

May 7, 2009
St. Louis
I'm sure I'm missing something but don't know what it is.
I have a T-Mo OP6t, converted to International OOS Beta 8
  • TRWP installed
  • Magisk installed
  • Solid Explorer installed (paid version)
I'm trying to edit/update my HOSTS file for ad blocking but I can't.
I've tried to edit the properties of the HOSTS file in system/etc/ but the changes don't stick.
See attached thumbnails.
Any help/advise is appreciated.

mine420

Jan 27, 2011
I use adaway and do not toggle the system less switch in magisk and things work fine. I thought the system less toggle were for the modules you could download not separate sops

OhioYJ

Feb 25, 2011
I use Solid Explorer all the time to modify hosts file on all my devices, inlcuding my 6T. The editor built into Solid Explorer has issues with larger files, so many larger hosts files can't be copied / pasted / saved in the editor in my experience. You can however just copy / paste / replace the entire hosts file with another one though. Just make sure the hosts file has Linux line endings, so use a Linux PC or notepad++ in Windows and use the conversion to Unix line endings and save it.

brisseau

May 7, 2009
St. Louis
I use Solid Explorer all the time to modify hosts file on all my devices, inlcuding my 6T. The editor built into Solid Explorer has issues with larger files, so many larger hosts files can't be copied / pasted / saved in the editor in my experience. You can however just copy / paste / replace the entire hosts file with another one though. Just make sure the hosts file has Linux line endings, so use a Linux PC or notepad++ in Windows and use the conversion to Unix line endings and save it.

I've always copied and pasted with Solid Explorer and that's what I'm trying to do this time but haven't had any luck.
Any other suggestions?

brisseau

May 7, 2009
St. Louis
Have you gone in Magisk, and under SuperUser and made sure Solid Explorer is approved for Root use?

Yep. See attached.
Note: I'm only using adfree until I can get the HOSTS file copied and pasted over

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190418-213818.jpg
    Screenshot_20190418-213818.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 155

brisseau

May 7, 2009
St. Louis
Yep. See attached.
Note: I'm only using adfree until I can get the HOSTS file copied and pasted over

Don't know what changed but AFTER installing the adfree.apk and allowing that to update the HOSTS file, I was able to copy/paste my HOSTS file like normal.
Crisis solved.
Moderator, please close and thanks to everyone who suggested fixes.

Jager

Feb 21, 2010
Edit the host file here, it's the one that is used when the magisk module is enabled.

/sbin/.core/img/hosts/system/etc

Reactions: Ronan Hansel

bLoodYHandZ04

Sep 28, 2013
Taguig
Try debloating the rom. Having same issue getting error message "that there are no enough space on the system". After I removed built in system app i'm not using, all went fine after. I removed google play music, movies and other stuffs I don't use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Need to enable systemless hosts file option in Magisk manager, that's it.
    Edit the host file here, it's the one that is used when the magisk module is enabled.

/sbin/.core/img/hosts/system/etc