Can't update rooted N10

Search This thread

QuantumBlazer

Feb 6, 2016
LA
I have been trying to update my phone but everytime I try the OTA it says installation failed. I ignored it for a few months now bc I didn't want to lose root after updating. How can I install the OTA? I am on MetroPCS (BE88CF)
I tried disabling AdAway thought it may be blocking the servers but that didn't work.
Screenshot_20211220-132744.jpg

ninjasinabag

May 28, 2013
Philadelphia
Pulled this from the OnePlus website

"Ok, looks like the download has failed/corrupted. Open the File Manager app > go to settings in the FM app and enable "Show Hidden Files" > then go to the device storage and look for a folder called ".OTA" - delete it and its contents. Then reboot your phone and try again."

doodalydoo

Apr 20, 2015
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem. Not even unrooting fixes it. There is no .OTA folder on my phone either.

ninjasinabag

May 28, 2013
Philadelphia
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem. Not even unrooting fixes it. There is no .OTA folder on my phone either.
Flash stock boot.img for your model and firmware. Probably gonna need the original recovery image too if you've got anything besides stock.

Relock bootloader using fastboot.

As long as there's nothing that can be checked back as invalid, you should be able to update your phone proper.

doodalydoo

Apr 20, 2015
Flash stock boot.img for your model and firmware. Probably gonna need the original recovery image too if you've got anything besides stock.

Relock bootloader using fastboot.

As long as there's nothing that can be checked back as invalid, you should be able to update your phone proper.
I tried reflashing stock recovery and boot images, but it didn't work. Relocking the bootloader shouldn't be necessary, but if it is I'll just go without updating. I don't feel like having to wipe out my phone to unlock the bootloader again every time there is an update.

ninjasinabag

May 28, 2013
Philadelphia
I tried reflashing stock recovery and boot images, but it didn't work. Relocking the bootloader shouldn't be necessary, but if it is I'll just go without updating. I don't feel like having to wipe out my phone to unlock the bootloader again every time there is an update.
Sadly it's a boatload of effort to get the update. Either you go back to 100% stock, or live with it.
I said screw it and just moved everything to my memory card before using the msm reset app

doodalydoo

Apr 20, 2015
Sadly it's a boatload of effort to get the update. Either you go back to 100% stock, or live with it.
I said screw it and just moved everything to my memory card before using the msm reset app
I managed to get the last update installed by reinstalling 11.0.2 through the Oxygen Updater, then 11.0.3 installed fine. I was going to try to repeat this method with 11.0.3 to get to 11.0.4, but Oxygen Updater no longer allows me to download 11.0.3. I tried to sideload it and do a local update, but the phone won't find it. I can't even install it through fastboot commands because the OTA is incremental and the payload dumper won't work on it.

I was able to update by doing what you said and relocking the bootloader after reflashing stock and boot images. Relocking bricked the phone so I had to use the unbrick tool. Definitely a pain to have to do this every time, Then I ran into problems restoring my TWRP backup that I had to figure out lol. I'll probably just update every two or three updates from now on. Plus all this reflashing opens up more opportunities for RCS features to stop working on Google Messages because they are so finicky. Then my texts act up for 3-10 days until RCS starts working again. Luckily they reconnected right away this time.

Thanks for the help.