can't upgrade

Search This thread

thotwielder

Nov 17, 2012
My dad gave me his Nexus 4 to look at the other day because his phone is running slow and using up power very quick . I saw it has been installed couple of suspicious apps like gaining root permission, mobile assistant etc, can't remember the names cause I did a factory reset immediately (already backup the data). Ok it should be clean but then I saw a update notification (it's still on 4.4.3) so go upgrade. The phone reboot into upgrading interface, but after a while it showed 'Error' with a dead robot. I can restart the phone and it's sill in 4.4.3 and ok to use but just can't upgrade. I am thinking those apps must have done something otherwise the phone should be good to upgrade after a factory reset. I am thinking some app may have started a upgrade but somehow never finished (not sure, just my feeling). BTW, my dad knows nothing regarding these apps, they were probably installed by my nephew when he was visiting my parents. Any idea?:confused:

Last edited:

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
If you've done a factory reset you might as well go one step further and unlock the bootloader and flash the 5.0.1 factory image and be done with it

thotwielder

Nov 17, 2012
If you've done a factory reset you might as well go one step further and unlock the bootloader and flash the 5.0.1 factory image and be done with it

I know I can go down that route (boot loader, root, customer image etc), but I am couple of years from doing that last time. So just want some really simple approach if possible. Something like boot into upgrade menu, then clear some cache etc or check some settings etc (I am just thinking based on my faint memory of previous experience). Of course if there is no such thing, then I will do as recommended. Thanks.
BTW, I did the factory reset from settings when the phone is operating not some recovery tool.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
I am having the same issue. Although I am running Android 5.0, still not able to upgrade for 5.0.1. A dead robot with Error! message......

thotwielder

Nov 17, 2012
I am having the same issue. Although I am running Android 5.0, still not able to upgrade for 5.0.1. A dead robot with Error! message......

Have you messed around the stock system (bootloader, root etc)? I am asking because I don't know what has been done to my Dad's phone and since you got the same problem.

thotwielder

Nov 17, 2012
In the first step, in the Prerequisites -> 7. Fastboot binary (Put the file in <sdk_directory>/platform-tools)
The file appears to contain virus/trojan?

thotwielder

Nov 17, 2012
flashed new rom

Followed the link and finally flashed latest rom, fantastic! Thanks. I found the mskip’s toolkit alone is good enough for all the stuff (unlock bootloader, customer recovery, root, install and flash rom). It's much easier than I expected.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
The reason I didn't link to toolkits is you're not learning anything by using them. If it goes went wrong, how would you have fixed it?

Better to learn it all now and then you have the knowledge