• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Can't write to sdcard

Search This thread

dignan17

Feb 16, 2010
Okay, I'm freaking out a little bit.

The one app I use more than any other is Doggcatcher. It been my most-used app since my first G1. Well, I recently flashed the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on my VZW GN, and now it seems that Doggcatcher can no longer save anything to the sdcard directory (either sdcard or storage/sdcard0).

What did I do wrong? I had Jelly Bean working on my phone for a while, but my GN's charge port broke and I received a replacement. I believe I restored a nandroid backup of my previous Jelly Bean install (which was a different ROM), and that's when my problems started. When I installed the AOKP ROM I wiped everything, but I still can't get Doggcatcher to save a single file. It seems other apps have trouble storing anything on the phone too, which is clearly a huge problem.

So what do I do? Please help! I'll offer any information I can.

kyokeun1234

Sep 25, 2011
Niagara Falls ON Canada
Seems like permission is bit messed up. Have you don't anything that might've changed the permission?

Swyped on my Galaxy Nexus running AOKP with Franco Kernel, overclocked to 1.4GHz

dignan17

Feb 16, 2010
Seems like permission is bit messed up. Have you don't anything that might've changed the permission?

Swyped on my Galaxy Nexus running AOKP with Franco Kernel, overclocked to 1.4GHz

Certainly nothing on purpose. I just flashed these ROMs in the way I would have thought I was supposed to. I loaded ClockworkMod and flashed the zip file from AOKP.

I really have no idea what I might have done or what to do now. I'm completely fine with wiping my phone, I just need to know how to start over!

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
If you have any directories/files that you can't modify or delete, then boot into CWM recovery, plug in the USB cable, go into adb shell. Also make sure that /data is mounted in the CWM mounts menu. Then:
cd /data/media
chown -R media_rw.media_rw *

dignan17

Feb 16, 2010
If you have any directories/files that you can't modify or delete, then boot into CWM recovery, plug in the USB cable, go into adb shell. Also make sure that /data is mounted in the CWM mounts menu. Then:
cd /data/media

My friend, you are a genius. THANK YOU SO DAMN MUCH!! Seriously, you rock like crazy.

I followed your instructions (I had to learn how to get into the adb shell but that wasn't too tough), restarted the phone, and immediately tried downloading a podcast episode. I then pumped my fist in the air when I saw it successfully downloading.

Again, thank you so much. You rock.

dignan17

Feb 16, 2010
FYI, I also posted your answer, along with a link to this thread, on the Doggcatcher forums where I also asked for help on this issue, when I thought it was just a problem with that app. I quoted your answer and gave you the credit, in case there's ever a future breakdown in the link I used :)

Muuhmann

Aug 3, 2010
Cologne
cd /data/media

thanks so much for this!

I was struggeling with this problem, because I couldn't create backups anymore.

before I executed your command I had a look at the current permissions for the files.. some folders were owned by root:root instead of media_rw:media_rw. No wonder apps couldn't create files in those folders..

Too bad this was only shown in the shell when in recovery. While the phone was in Android the permissions showed correctly as root:sdcard_rw .. that's why it never occured to me this was a real problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cd /data/media