Car Android units - reusable displays?

Search This thread

HelloFromMars

Aug 1, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I have one of those chinese import android units for my car, fake android version etc. It says it is F9212B but don't know if even that is real.

My car is a Fiesta and so has an annoying shaped dash hole which the Android unit fits very nicely, it has a huge display and a custom shroud, not DIN or double DIN.

Anyway, the actual android hardware is such a pile of crap that I was wondering if anyone had ever disassembled these units and worked out if they use standard display connections like DSI, with common ribbon connectors?

I'm sure you can tell what I'm thinking. Could I chuck the android hardware but keep the display and touchscreen and connect it up to a single board computer, which tend to use DSI.

I know there would be a lot of extra work because of the CANBUS and it would need a separate Amp for the speakers etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tim

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
Sorry to say, but to use a raspi would not be a good solution. You will have at least issues with switching off the ignition. As there is no proper shutdown, you can damage the files on the SD-Card. On top: Even a RASPI4+ is not faster than the one in your current setup. You would need an additional FM receiver, CAN receiver which would not be available for such a solution, so you need to fiddle around with that... You need an additional amplifier... you name it.
I would search for a touch screen with a proper resolution which can be mounted into the hardware of your dash and think about a proper solution like a car-PC, or something like that.
At least not a cheap solution and needs a lot of time to get this working as expected.

HelloFromMars

Aug 1, 2022
Well thanks for the input but most of those issues are solvable.
The power can be supplied via a power bank, it may be possible to reuse the existing CAN adapter for the android unit, which is external, plus you can get Car CAN adapters for the raspberry pi anyway. I know even the pi4 has limited hardware but there are other single board computers with better hardware. I wouldn't need an FM receiver as I have a USB DAB receiver for the android.