(car audio) Parrot ASTEROID Smart

Search This thread

fatdoggie

Jun 10, 2010
I have a few problems sometimes the smart doesn't see the unika. The works leds sayes it's working.
Restarting the car would solved and make the steering wheel control wrok.

Another problem is that the unit sometimes gives a message about crash reports.

Do u guy's experience simulair problems?

I just saw this happen to mine for the first time tonight. The wife was in the car playing with the Smart with the engine off but ignition on, and then started the car without turning the ignition back to the "off" position and the Unika did not respond. I wonder if the power drop during the car starting caused the Unika to drop and not be detected when it came back. I will mention that I had to bypass the Unika's apparent control of the switched +12V line and run it direct to both the Unika and the Smart. I was unable to get the Smart to power on until I did this, and this may be the cause of this problem in my instance.

I went into settings and disabled/reenabled the Unika and it came right back.

An even odder thing happened to me this afternoon - I came out and very briefly turned the car on and then back off within a space of about 30 seconds. Just long enough to detect the USB drive and start playing a song. Clean shutdown w/Goodbye message.

Hours later, I came back out to leave and the Smart wouldn't power at all. No signs of life from the power LED or anything. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting faceplate a couple times, holding power button, etc. Nothing. Then as I was looking for something to poke the reset button with, I popped the SD card out and back in and put the faceplate back on, expecting to drive home with no radio and have to rip it out and RMA it. Voila, as soon as I put the face back on after the SD card reinstall, it powered up just fine.

More Info
Yep, this is exactly what happens - I was able to replicate it at will today. If the Asteroid warm boots/wakes while the Unika is dropping out or rebooting while the engine is starting the Asteroid will lose the Unika. A deactivate/reactive from the settings menu is sufficient to return control, but it sure would be nice if this could be done automatically during the wake up process if the Unika is not detected but should be active...

Last edited:
Reactions: x1001

danger355

Sep 5, 2009
Here are the connections I made - you can either wire them up directly, or make another "tap" connector with some bullet connectors just like the one on the Unika's red wire and insert it on the switched +12v line.
  • Red on the Unika is connected to the +12v battery line in your harness
  • Red+Yellow on the Unika is connected to switched ignition source
  • Black on Unika goes to ground
  • Blue+Yellow on Unika was taped up and left unconnected.

For the resistive controls, I connected:
  • V1 to the switch source in my wiring harness
  • V2 and Unika Ground (Gray wire) to each other AND the switch ground from my steering wheel. The instructions did not indicate this was needed, but the Unika did not see button presses until this was done.

Somewhere I had read conflicting info about the LED as well, so this contributed to my initial frustration as I thought the unit was DOA.

In resistive mode, the LED blinks red ONCE when you turn the ignition on and when it sees key presses (IF you have the resistive controls wired correctly!). I noticed that the Asteroid was able to see and download code to the Unika prior to the key programming being complete, but, of course, the buttons didn't do anything and the LED status did not change.

Once I got everything connected correctly, I programmed the Unika to recognize the controls on my steering wheel - the Unika does "learn" the resistance values of your keys so if you press your buttons out of order, you'll need to poke the reset button and re-learn them in the correct order.

Ok, so I'm trying this again with weird results.

The power was easy and seemed to work how you listed.

The resistive controls on the other hand are where I'm getting mixed results:

First, I have three wires coming from my steering wheel (see uploaded schematic).

Buttons are: Vol Up, Vol Down (top rocker); Seek Up, Seek Down (bottom rocker); Mode (left middle button); Power (right middle button).
This is also the order that I press the buttons when trying to program the UNIKA.

So, if I connect the three wires up to the V1, V2 & GND the unika sees my button presses, but only every other one.

Swapping V1 and V2 makes the UNIKA see the other buttons not recognized the first time.

Anyone with some more electrical experience than me have any advice as to why this is?

Edit: I also tried combining the V2 and Ground... it didn't work. (could you clarify exactly what you did here?)

Last edited:

sneakk

Jul 31, 2007
Same here.. :(

i can sideload apps no problem, and with google play services and framework it has no problem validating the license, but still would be cool to download directly from the play store, would like to see a video of someone actually doing this, and a small write up on how to accomplish it, Keep us posted on your progress

EmphasiS

Mar 22, 2008
Nantes
Parrot Asteroid (tablet)

Hi all,

As Asteroid Tablet is similar (hard and soft) to Asteroid Smart, I just wanted to confirm that I managed to get Sygic working on it, as well as other applications (a REAL Spotify App, ADW Launcher, Root Explorer, etc...).

For those encountering problems with Google PlayStore, which I did not spend to much time on (crashes, probably not good version, but don't care), just use Aptoide instead. If you bought the products you download, then you should feel good to go (as Parrot doesn't provide support for Google PlaySore, at least for the moment).

I did not encounter any install (nor launch) difficulty for any app other than Google Play Sore. I used last Framaroot to get root access.

Last edited:

AL-d82

Oct 8, 2007
Play Store / Market ROOT on Parrot Asteroid Smart

Hi i just did it like this way

You try it in u'r one risk

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1893410

1. Root your Parrot Asteroid Smart - Framaroot --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2130276
2. Downloaded and install the GoogleServicesFramework.apk
3. Download Vending.apk. (its the Pkaystore APP)

4. Using a file explorer app on the Fire with superuser permissions AND the system file permissions set to Read-Write, move Vending.apk to /system/app.

5. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to User - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read

6. Install Vending.apk (playstore APP from /system/app )

Reboot your Smart ( reset button)
Now u can start pkaystore and add u'r Google account

For the latest Vending.apk (playstore APP) just Google playstore.apk

I used ES File Explorer - 2 change permissions , copy & install the playstore APP

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

sneakk

Jul 31, 2007
Hi i just did it linke this way

You try it in u'r one risk

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1893410

1. Root your Parrot Asteroid Smart
2. Downloaded and install the GoogleServicesFramework.apk
3. Download Vending.apk. (its the Pkaystore APP)

4. Using a file explorer app on the Fire with superuser permissions AND the system file permissions set to Read-Write, move Vending.apk to /system/app.

5. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to User - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read

6. Install Vending.apk (playstore APP from /system/app )

Reboot your Smart ( reset button)
Now u can star pkaystore and add u'r Google account

For the latest Vending.apk (playstore APP) just Google playstore.apk

I used ES File Explorer 2 change permissions and copy & install the playstore APP

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk 2
Thank you this worked for me, followed it and all is well now, no more force closing when trying to update or download apps
can we get this post moved to the first page for those who are just getting there smart

Last edited:

fatdoggie

Jun 10, 2010
So, if I connect the three wires up to the V1, V2 & GND the unika sees my button presses, but only every other one.

Swapping V1 and V2 makes the UNIKA see the other buttons not recognized the first time.

Anyone with some more electrical experience than me have any advice as to why this is?

Edit: I also tried combining the V2 and Ground... it didn't work. (could you clarify exactly what you did here?)

It sounds like the Unika is only seeing one of the resistance ladders. When you swap V1 and V2, you are swapping the resistance ladders the Unika sees - half your buttons are on one ladder and half are on the other. The Honda resistive interface is a little different than the Nissan in that I only have one resistive ladder to contend with.

In my application, I connected V1 to the single resistive control wire and joined the V2, Unika GND (they have mating bullet connectors), and the resistive network ground from the car's wiring together.

One bit of research I did was look at how other brands of control interfaces connected (to get an idea of the way the wiring worked) and compare that to the closest Parrot doc I could find.
Metra AXXESS module for Nissan
Parrot Unika for some Nissan

I would probably try connecting V1 to the first resistive switch line, V2 to the second resistive switch line, Unika GND to the resistive GND and see if that works.

Reactions: danger355

djeresia

Dec 4, 2009
Finally works!!!!

Finally the tutorial of AL-d82 works, but i changed permissions after copying the vending to system/apps.
ES Manager has not changed the permissions, i used Root Browser.
Thanks Man!!!!

fatdoggie

Jun 10, 2010
Finally the tutorial of AL-d82 works, but i changed permissions after copying the vending to system/apps.
ES Manager has not changed the permissions, i used Root Browser.
Thanks Man!!!!
This worked perfectly for me as well. I was able to download and install my purchased apps.

sneakk

Jul 31, 2007
This worked perfectly for me as well. I was able to download and install my purchased apps.
I cant download any of my purchased apps, they all show as not compatible work this device, curious how you were able to accomplish that, I can only sideload apps and update those.

dustbarb

Apr 8, 2013
Got the Play Store working, downloaded a few apps, etc. Replaced my vehicle's battery, Play Store no longer showing up in the apps drawer. :confused: Using Root Explorer dug down to the system/app folder and Vending.apk was still there, permissions unchanged from before. Going to reinstall the software, but still... confused.

Has anyone else had this occur?

Sidebar:
XDA needs a forum dedicated to this device.
Any music players available for Android that can access an iPod? Default app is mediocre at best.

Last edited:

fatdoggie

Jun 10, 2010
I cant download any of my purchased apps, they all show as not compatible work this device, curious how you were able to accomplish that, I can only sideload apps and update those.
I didn't download *all* of my purchased apps, as I know many of them have special requirements. The ones I did download worked OK, I did not do anything special?

I did not use ADB at all, just used Root Explorer to copy the APKs from the SD card to /system/app and change the permissions. I also did not attempt to install any of the APKs that were copied into /system/app, just reboot and let Android find them.

I did not install the newer "Play Store" apk - I just copied the Framework and Vending APKs and rebooted via reset button.

After reboot, I ran the old "Android Market" app and input my gmail account info. Then went to "My Apps" inside the Android Market app and clicked on an item that was displayed as "Purchased" and installed it.

djeresia

Dec 4, 2009
Got the Play Store working, downloaded a few apps, etc. Replaced my vehicle's battery, Play Store no longer showing up in the apps drawer. :confused: Using Root Explorer dug down to the system/app folder and Vending.apk was still there, permissions unchanged from before. Going to reinstall the software, but still... confused.

Has anyone else had this occur?

Sidebar:
XDA needs a forum dedicated to this device.
Any music players available for Android that can access an iPod? Default app is mediocre at best.

Before you have to copy the vending to system/app, after with root browser change permission " Owner read write excute" Groups and Others only read.
Bye

danger355

Sep 5, 2009
I would probably try connecting V1 to the first resistive switch line, V2 to the second resistive switch line, Unika GND to the resistive GND and see if that works.

The first thing I did was try it this way (sorry, should have been more clear). The only way the UNIKA sees anything at all is when it's connected one-to-one like you mentioned above, but I only see half of the button presses this way. This is also only while switch #1 is up and all others are down. You're spot-on with it only seeing one resistance rail, only... I don't know why this is.

I actually tested it with my cheap-o multimeter and I can see my button presses on both rails all the way to the bent pins just before it reaches the actual board.

I read another in another forum somewhere that switch #1 on enables V1 and switch #2 on enables V2, so I tried it that way. Nothing.

Switch #1 up, all others down and: Combine Ground/V2 - nothing. Combine Ground/V1 - nothing. Combine V1/V2 (for SnG's) and leave Ground separate - nothing.

So... I emailed Paser again with the schematics/pics I posted last time, and they got back to me this morning - told me to try V1 and AUX 1, with only switch #1 on. I'll try that tomorrow and post results.

Thanks for all your input though. It helps that at least someone out there has been able to get this working in resistive mode. I'm gonna get this damn thing figured out eventually :)

Out of curiosity, what DIP switch setting are you using?

fatdoggie

Jun 10, 2010
The first thing I did was try it this way (sorry, should have been more clear). The only way the UNIKA sees anything at all is when it's connected one-to-one like you mentioned above, but I only see half of the button presses this way. This is also only while switch #1 is up and all others are down. You're spot-on with it only seeing one resistance rail, only... I don't know why this is.

I actually tested it with my cheap-o multimeter and I can see my button presses on both rails all the way to the bent pins just before it reaches the actual board.

I read another in another forum somewhere that switch #1 on enables V1 and switch #2 on enables V2, so I tried it that way. Nothing.

Switch #1 up, all others down and: Combine Ground/V2 - nothing. Combine Ground/V1 - nothing. Combine V1/V2 (for SnG's) and leave Ground separate - nothing.

So... I emailed Paser again with the schematics/pics I posted last time, and they got back to me this morning - told me to try V1 and AUX 1, with only switch #1 on. I'll try that tomorrow and post results.

Thanks for all your input though. It helps that at least someone out there has been able to get this working in resistive mode. I'm gonna get this damn thing figured out eventually :)

I am fairly certain I used the DIP switch settings for non-OEM radios (sw1 ON, others OFF).

Hopefully Paser will get you headed the right direction - I remember reading that the AUX lines were for additional resistance lines, but never saw any documentation that indicated how to wire them up.

I had seen someone, somewhere (I can't remember if it was on here, the Parrot official forums, or the Parrot dev forums), mention having a better/more complete manual from "an Italian company that makes the Unika", which I assume to be Paser. Have you seen such a manual? I've searched and been unable to find such a thing.

dustbarb

Apr 8, 2013
Easier way to reboot: install a power widget. I used Power Toggles and when I hit the reset toggle on the widget, I get a sweet "Your phone will reboot" with Cancel and Yes options.

danger355

Sep 5, 2009
Success!

... I emailed Paser again with the schematics/pics I posted last time, and they got back to me this morning - told me to try V1 and AUX 1, with only switch #1 on. I'll try that tomorrow and post results.

I am fairly certain I used the DIP switch settings for non-OEM radios (sw1 ON, others OFF).

Hopefully Paser will get you headed the right direction - I remember reading that the AUX lines were for additional resistance lines, but never saw any documentation that indicated how to wire them up.

I had seen someone, somewhere (I can't remember if it was on here, the Parrot official forums, or the Parrot dev forums), mention having a better/more complete manual from "an Italian company that makes the Unika", which I assume to be Paser. Have you seen such a manual? I've searched and been unable to find such a thing.

So I hooked it up like Paser said, and it worked :victory:

For anyone else who searches for this:
Pathfinder > UNIKA
GND > GND
Down > V1
Up > AUX1
DIP Switch Setting: #1 Up; #'s 2, 3 & 4 Down

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that same post about the manual this past weekend. I tried retracing my steps earlier today with no luck. I'll look in my google search history later this week and see if I can find anything. But fwiw, I do remember looking at the manual that (s)he mentioned, and unfortunately it was par for the course from what I can remember and didn't help much at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatdoggie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not sure where I found this info, but I don't believe it was here, so I thought I'd leave a little write up about enabling Google Voice Search. First I found and downloaded the old voice search apk. You will need to search for voice search 2.1.4 apk..should be a legitimate free download. However, as I'm sure many have tried and seen, it simply force closes when installed. So, as mentioned, I found a post somewhere that pointed to the missing lib...oh so obviously named libvoicesearch.so. It can be found in the gingerbread gapps zip. Again, you can just search for that...I found it on goo.im/gapps. Now on a basic level, we're done, you can have your voice control icon and a voice input button will be added to maps and the browser.

voice_search.jpg

maps.jpg

browser.jpg

So, we're just missing one more thing...voice typing from the keyboard into any app. Unfortunately whatever it is that triggers keyboards to display a voice input key is still missing. So, simply installing Gingerbread Keyboard isn't enough to enable the functionality. I tried out quite a few keyboards and obviously they are all keying off the same thing...perhaps it's a bit to flip in some config file...regardless it's not there currently. I did find two keyboards(there are possibly more) that will present the key. One is SwiftKey, the other Kii. Neither are free, Kii only clears it's fancy prediction dictionary when not registered, so I went with it...plus it has a better voice input presentation. Only final caveat is that neither of these will show the voice key as a primary key...you have to hold another key and it will popup as the first option...so it's not too bad. Still looking for a perfect solution, but this functions in the meantime.

kii.jpg

I guess I'll go ahead and post up a few other things from my setup that folks might find useful since I'm here.

1. Tablet Talk - Direct Text message forwarding from your phone. There are a few programs like this, but this one uses a direct link (BT or Wifi) from your phone and doesn't have to go out to some other server to store/fetch messages. Interface it okay, designed for tablets, so a bit cramped on the small screen. But seems to function pretty well. I'm connected via bluetooth and it doesn't interfere with voice call functionality at all. You do have to run a service on your phone also, but so far I haven't noticed any negative impact. Oh yeah, needs an Android phone...but we're on XDA right...so that shouldn't be a problem for most.

tablet_talk.jpg

2.Android Weather Widget - I have discovered, along with others, that the majority of weather widgets don't play nicely with the Asteroid. Since it's gingerbread, the widgets basically think it's a phone and even when connected to some wifi network, when it can't get initial location triangulation via a cellular data network...it will never get a location lock. Elsewhere someone found a non-free widget that functioned correctly, but I'm cheap... I finally found the Android Weather Widget after trying quite a few. It's pulls location via the gps and then grabs the needed data from wifi. Works and looks great. Using it with ADW in the screenshot of my current setup. As an aside, so far ADW is working nicely.

adw_weather.jpg

3. PerApp - Most of the time I like to use Google Navigation for my mapping needs. I quickly found there was no way to adjust the volume on the Asteroid. It is not tied to master or notification...well it does adjust with master(since, you know, it's the master volume), but it's at a much lower level than the music so can't play nicely. Found PerApp, which allows me to go in and set up to a +15db increase for the app. Works like a charm. Also has rotation functionality(again per app) that functions great. Only caveat can be found in one of my previous posts. Make sure to turn off it's screen timeout functionality. You can't set it to 0(which in this case is no timeout) and it will default to 1 minute. You will then get an annoying clock popup every minute and go crazy trying to find out why. So after installing you might needs something like SOFFT to reset the default timeout.

4. AsteroidTweaker - Mentioned just above, I basically use this to have a reboot functionality without having to have a paperclip handy along with getting my unit to resume from my USB drive most of the time. Also has various other tweak and fixes. Worth a look. Steering wheel control people, it claims to have some fixes for that also...but I haven't looked into it much as I do not. One negative I have noticed is that when switching between sources, it get's a little confused and jumps back a forth for a second...I don't switch sources that often, so minor annoyance for me.

5. Droid VNC Server, Dropbear SSH Server(not my first choice and now discontinued, but works). Using VNC to capture screens, it's also nice to play around from the comfort of my house. A bit slow to refresh and makes some actions pretty difficult, but overall works well. Always nice to be able to SSH in and take a look around also.

6. AdAway - Host file ad blocker.

7. Mongoose web server - This is actually for running on a windows PC. Just throwing it in because it's handy. Basically just throw the executable in a directory of file you want to access remotely and start it up. Then you can browse to your pc from the Asteroid Smart web browser and download the stuff you are wanting to get on your device. Sure you could also start up the SSH Server and scp, or install and sftp server, but this is just handy sometime.

Anyway, hope this might help some folks out. I had nice helpful links in place for the apps, but XDA apparently did not care for that within my great wall of text. Not quite sure why it refused to let me post with the links... Anyway, let me know if you have any questions on things I've mentioned...
    Thank you, sounds great. Please keep us updated! :good:

So, i've managed to build a kernel, compile CWM and i'm in the process of compiling CM10.1

luckily my Big bro works for HP and has loaned me a VM on one of his HPCloud Farms.

my current issue is reverting to a working unit. if i replace the current recovery with CWM, i cant just put a stock rom back because the stock rom uses a PLF file. i was hoping that the PLF was just a renamed ZIP, but i dont think it is.

so, as you can understand i'm a bit wary of just flashing the recovery.img using ADB if i cant but it all back.. i've taken a copy of the mtd0 and mtd 1 devices but they're pretty useless if i cant get the thing to boot and its bricked..

i'll do some research and maybe even get in touch with parrot themselves to see what my options are..
    We now have root :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Hey everyone,

After a few failed attempts at getting the Play Store working on my Asteroid Smart I eventually got it to work, to be honest it wasn't complicated just long winded.

I have gone through the other write up's and some didn't work (at least for me anyway) so I thought I'd share 'my' installation process, if it helps 1 person then it was worth the effort :good:

1. Install Framaroot from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2130276 I used 1.4.1

I followed this video to install the apps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4LSdZ3OBs

This is the installation procedure I followed for Framaroot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFVkjtxaWA

After installing Framaroot, take the little panel off the left hand side and reboot!

2. Download Root Browser Lite from here and Install.

3. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk here & Vending.apk here and copy both files onto your SD card.

4, Install GoogleServicesFramework.apk

I then rebooted the Asteroid Smart.

5. Using Root Browser Lite, locate Vending.apk on your SD Card and copy the file to /system/app on the root of the Asteroid.

6. Long press the Vending.apk file and go to 'Permissions' I set Users/Group/Others to Read & Write access.

Again I rebooted the Asteroid.

7. Create a shortcut to Vending and login to your google account, at this point I did get an error but I just continued and logged in.

That was it :D It works perfectly!

I also installed used Market Helper from here to trick the Google Play Store into thinking my Asteroid was my Samsung Galaxy S3. The only issue I found doing this was that the setup screen didn't fit the Smart too well so I used 'Ultimate Rotation Control' downloaded from the play store to set the screen into Portrait mode while I used Market Helper.

I now have CoPilot live installed :good:

I know it's a bit long but it worked for me, hopefully it will be of use to others :cool:
    So, today i created an Amazon AWS EC2 instance with the sole intention of porting Jellybean to the Asteroid Smart.

i've never port a ROM before and this will be a very steep learning Curve, but i'm hoping that due to the lack of built in Radio Modems and other boards that it should be easier that other devices. Famous last words eh?

i'll prob make a separate Thread for my progress but if anyone has any experience to share, please feel free.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone