car chargers

Search This thread

pyropup55

May 4, 2010
Prince Frederick
what car chargers will work with our phone? I saw someone had used a charger from a razr, but when I went to the store to check them out, the usb cable wouldn't fit, and I wasn't going to try to for the thing on there. Any ideas please?

ryan5943

Apr 14, 2006
You should look again. I use 2 old Razr chargers (1 home & 1 car) and they both fit perfectly. My old Htc diamond and touch pro chargers work too.

centran

Jan 8, 2010
You should look again. I use 2 old Razr chargers (1 home & 1 car) and they both fit perfectly.
Depends on what razr you had. I think they changed the port to a micro usb in one version.

Like railstop said, find a GENERIC USB car charger. If you can find one that is just the car charger plug with USB port(rather then a non-detachable cord) then that is even better b/c you can plug any usb cable into it. USB A -> mini .... USB A -> micro ... USB A -> iPod
It doesn't matter. If you get the generic then you can also plug in any device that will charge off your computer.

Last edited:

smarcin

Mar 8, 2008
Minneapolis
If the charger is marked 1 A, it'll charge faster. Some of the mini USB chargers, for phones or BT headsets only charge at 300mAh or 700mAh. They'll charge, eventually, but a lot slower.

centran

Jan 8, 2010
If the charger is marked 1 A, it'll charge faster

Good point. Some devices(not the hero) will complain that the charger is not compatible but 95% of them will still charge. They just throw up that warning b/c they will charge slower.
If you are constantly using GPS then you will want to hunt around for a 1 amp version because even with a 1A charger the hero's battery can't keep up with the drain of GPS and data for the navigation.

lineman78

Apr 26, 2010
Denver, CO
I too am using an old Moto car charger(not Razr). Just look for any USB mini car charger, don't get suckered into Sprint approved accessories. If you have an extra miniUSB cable, it may be better to get a generic USB car charger, so you can switch out when you get a new phone.

pyropup55

May 4, 2010
Prince Frederick
Good point. Some devices(not the hero) will complain that the charger is not compatible but 95% of them will still charge. They just throw up that warning b/c they will charge slower.
If you are constantly using GPS then you will want to hunt around for a 1 amp version because even with a 1A charger the hero's battery can't keep up with the drain of GPS and data for the navigation.

i went out and bought a generic moto charger that has the different adaptors on it, but it's charging slow as ****, to the point of pretty much not even seeming to charge. I also had a griffin usb charger that was doing the same thing. :grr:

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone