• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Car with limited Bluetooth.

Search This thread

3r4s3r

Feb 9, 2014
In my Nissan Sentra 2012 it has Bluetooth, but for calls only. When I play music it plays from my phone instead of car, and in Bluetooth setting the car has call capabilities only. I have a rooted LG g2, and will be willing to try anything. Is there any tricks to make it think its a call but plays music instead.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
In my Nissan Sentra 2012 it has Bluetooth, but for calls only. When I play music it plays from my phone instead of car, and in Bluetooth setting the car has call capabilities only. I have a rooted LG g2, and will be willing to try anything. Is there any tricks to make it think its a call but plays music instead.

I've never heard of anything like that?
There are $25 bluetooth devices out there which plug into your stereo's 3.5mm aux input if it has one. They work very well for calls and music.

Oct 3, 2015
www.theguardian.com

are you sure ? all car radios ive seen have bluetooth total audio playback. Make sure its setup on your phone correctly too.. need to check that nissan sentra lol

3r4s3r

Feb 9, 2014
I found out its something about not supporting one of the Bluetooth modes, if I payed for extra features it probably would have worked but I found a app called btmono, it's on the play store and it makes the car think I'm in a call and plays music like that, but the sound quality is horrible but that because of the trick they used to allow music through fake call. On the car it says I'm in a call with my own phone number

Ireul

Nov 29, 2015
Google has made great advances in supporting non-A2DP cars. My 2010 Chevy Malibu has Bluetooth but not A2DP. I can do Google Now and other voice commands through the phone system.

You do have to change some settings. Specifically in Google Now Settings you have to enable Bluetooth headset support. Once you do that, you can then call up Google Now and it will route audio.

There are a couple of apps out there that will pump stereo audio through the phone profile. But I don't recommend them. You're vastly better off with a 3.5mm to A2DP adapter.

oner789

Feb 19, 2016
If you want Bluetooth in your car, but you don’t want to spend the money and/or time to install a new head unit, you have three options, depending on your car’s setup and whether your primary interest is in making phone calls or listening to music. If you’re fortunate enough to have an aux-in port (an audio-input jack that fits a plug like the one on your headphones), a Bluetooth kit with an aux-in cable is the easy choice—it’s the most reliable alternative and the one that will produce the best overall sound and call quality. If you don’t have an aux-in port, the best option depends on your priorities. If you value call quality over sound, a clip-on speakerphone is the way to go; if you care more about music and podcast sound quality than about clear calls, choose an FM transmitter. We spent 10 hours conducting research and tests for this update, comparing seven new auxiliary-input kits alongside our original picks, to find the best, so you can choose what’s right for your car. (We didn’t test any new or noteworthy speakerphones or FM transmitters because, well, there were none.)

Well, at least I won't be the first one to necro-post on this...

It's more common than you think guys, especially with the older cars, *designed* when BT was available, but smartphones were new. Considering how lengthy the car design process is, I'm not surprised 2012 models are still affected.

On top of solutions posted above (well, if you care about sound quality, there's just one solution basically and TheWirecutter folks have done a lot of research and ruled Himbox HB01/Himbox HB01 Plus the king of them all), you might be in luck if there's an aftermarket unit available for your model which will plug into the back of your entertainment system and have both BT Phone and BT Multimedia profiles. You might need some tools and partial disassembly will be required to install.

There was one of these available for my 2008 Audi and while it was extremely pricey (about US $200) it's definitely cheaper than buying a new car. ;)

chad187

Feb 7, 2012
What is the best solution for this with my Nissan Altima 2011 it only has the limited Bluetooth.