CarPlay AI Box - "Android headunit" dongle?

Search This thread

Andason74

Dec 24, 2015
hello, is it possible to install the "bluetooth gps" app from the app store to use an external gps bluetooth antenna like the GARMIN GLO?
from most peoples findings, you will need to buy cheap usb bluetooth dongle and insert into the device usb. Then go to settings and turn on. Then some devices can connect. Unsure of support of all devices though.

zetagemini

Feb 24, 2021
from most peoples findings, you will need to buy cheap usb bluetooth dongle and insert into the device usb. Then go to settings and turn on. Then some devices can connect. Unsure of support of all devices though.

thanks for reply. I think the MMB i ordered has only 1 usb for connecting to the car:

So I would need an external gps connected via bluetooth.

Andason74

Dec 24, 2015
most of these units only have 1 usb. but you would need the bt dongle to plug into the box so it can speak with external gps unit. Or most units come with a gps box that can wire up to car fairly easy.

Andason74

Dec 24, 2015
Magisk Rom

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210308-003832.png
    Screenshot_20210308-003832.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:

0l1ve

Apr 30, 2020
I haven't had luck with the bt dongle and my obd. The bt dongle is from TRUST. I use the adw2 launcher to enter the Bluetooth setting which shows as disable. When I enabled it I connect it to the bt dongle. But going to the launcher and going back to the bt setting it says Disabled again. But I think the bt is however enabled and connected.
Then I tried different apps to see if it can't connect to the obd dongle. It was able to find it but connecting just hangs.

I will need to spend more time on it soon again.

Hi,

I notice that you were using the box with Ioniq car.
Did you test ABRP already ?

If yes, does it work fine and retrieve battery status ?

Thanks.

Andason74

Dec 24, 2015
[QUOTE = "Andason74, post: 84621375, membro: 7160451"]
I am using the rom provided by [USER = 11464903] jayck li [/ USER].
which launcher are you using
[/QUOTE]
I think it is called mac
[QUOTE = "Andason74, post: 84621375, membro: 7160451"]
Sto usando la rom fornita da [USER = 11464903] jayck li [/ USER].
[/CITAZIONE]
quale lanciatore stai usando

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210308-121736.png
    Screenshot_20210308-121736.png
    706.4 KB · Views: 68

SonicSpinner

Oct 11, 2008
Hi,

I notice that you were using the box with Ioniq car.
Did you test ABRP already ?

If yes, does it work fine and retrieve battery status ?

Thanks.

Hi, I have installed abrptransmiter directly on my headunit. Then I have installed abrp apk on yjr box. The app opens and it can find GPS from box no need for external GPS. And also it gets battery status too from the transmitter.

Reactions: 0l1ve

Andason74

Dec 24, 2015
Can you remove the navigation bar?
do you mean floating navigation buttons? If so, then you can install other launcher and make it default home and reboot. But first, I install "my gesture" to give me method to navigate.

I have not fully uninstalled previous launcher though. I think maybe it helps set priority of android box for audio vs car stereo. My 3rd party launcher will continue to have car radio playing.

jayck li

Feb 22, 2021
do you mean floating navigation buttons? If so, then you can install other launcher and make it default home and reboot. But first, I install "my gesture" to give me method to navigate.

I have not fully uninstalled previous launcher though. I think maybe it helps set priority of android box for audio vs car stereo. My 3rd party launcher will continue to have car radio playing.
I use other launchers to enter, there is no wifi and bluetooth, gps, I have to enter the previous launcher, and then return to the new launcher to have wifi and bluetooth, return to the new launcher, where is the floating navigation bar, Can't get rid of

Andason74

Dec 24, 2015
I use other launchers to enter, there is no wifi and bluetooth, gps, I have to enter the previous launcher, and then return to the new launcher to have wifi and bluetooth, return to the new launcher, where is the floating navigation bar, Can't get rid of
similar as me also then for audio control. i did not test bluetooth. I think there must be some settings tied with launcher. But, my wifi works on different launcher, but I have to re=enter password on reboot.

jayck li

Feb 22, 2021
similar as me also then for audio control. i did not test bluetooth. I think there must be some settings tied with launcher. But, my wifi works on different launcher, but I have to re=enter password on reboot.
If you use other desktops, you need to re-enter the password for wifi, and neither Bluetooth nor GPS is needed. It will only be displayed after returning to the original launcher

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Features:
    1. It has all the functions of Carplay Ai Box and is version 9.0
    2.Wired to Wireless Carplay
    3.Wireless Android Auto
    4.Support SIM
    5.Support wireless Mirrorlink
    6.GPS
    7.App split screen
    8. Support TF memory card (maximum extended memory 128G)

Faster, Qualcomm processor
    Factory password for AI BOX (Android9 PX3399) ------ 0789
    Hi I have this version of AI box
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...a2756.order-detail-ta-ta-b.0.0.5abb2fc2wCcoEN

There is also rebranded version from Joyeauto with 4GB RAM, generally it is the same product:
    https://www.joyeauto.com/mmb-multim...-for-the-cars-with-oem-factory-apple-carplay/

Joyeauto provides also download section for this device, where is a new ROM:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oyjsw7s4q6dmvrm/AADy_yP8FC3JqnIrgjZrK-Gea?dl=0

Is there anybody who can make custom rooted firmware?

Btw. It can be plugged to any Android phone/ tablet via Carlinkit Wried CarPlay Smart Link Dongle for Android https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33038683679.html

It works like in the car, it is good for playing with and installing in home.

Bluetooth is blocked only for phone connection. I plugged cheap BT dongle to the USB port of the AI box and now I can connect anything including of OBD2.

What is annoying is autohiding on-screen navigation panel. It would be better make the always visible navigation bar and all apks opening resized in the rest of the screen.

Generally it is pretty interesting and good working device.
    I have been looking at this as well. I'm going to order one as soon as my wife will let me probably a month or two from now.

To my knowledge nobody else seems to be utilizing car play as a generic display output with touch screen support.

I can't wait to get a hold of one of these and dump the firmware, if we can replicate how they interface, perhaps we can replicate it In software.

Imagine Apple car play as a primary display, as an installable magisk module.
    That would solve the issues of Android crippling secondary displays for DRM. It would also hola many car units to be repurposed closer to their users need. But also help to minimize e-waste and unnecessary wasteful economic activity. Too much hardware goes to landfills because of lack of standardized interfaces for DIY upgrades.

so long as no money is being made it's all good. Intellectual property is an artifact of commerce,
    It has no ethical relevance in non-commercial endeavors
    Do you get the “Video Instructions” ?

I just received AI BOX that real android 9.

I appreciate to you tell us this device. It is indeed faster than android 7 device as you said.

But it can not support car original GPS. I ask to seller it can be support usb gps such as VK172 something.

Also, I can found the new seller
    ₩ 261,209 31%OFF | Carplay AI 박스 자동차 멀티미디어 플레이어 BMW 폭스 바겐 메르세데스 벤츠 아우디 볼보 안드로이드 PX6 시스템 4G 32G 쉬운 연결 mirrolor 링크
    This guy is selling the same device only 250 dollars. OMG.
    No, I still have not received the video.

it seems during the firmware update via USB, CarPlay display does not work so you can’t see any progress or when the firmware upgrade is done.

I connected a PC monitor on the HDMI output port and could see the android update progress. It takes about 3 minutes and then a message pops up on the screen to remove the USB disk with the update file, once you have done that, AI dongle restarts to the CarPlay screen completing the firmware upgrade process.

to summaries connect a HDMI monitor to see the progress...Or wait for 5-10 minutes for upgrade to complete while connected to your car power and then disconnect the USB disk (at your own risk).

And yes this dongle does not pickup car original GPS signal...you need to use the GPS antenna provided with the AI dongle. The android 7 unit does support car original GPS..I guess you can’t have everything.
    in the forum at pda. ru is asked whether the AI Carplay boxes are also available with Andfoid 9, i think no !
    whether cp600, or cp-21, cp-31, cp-41, cp-91, MMB-AI box or whatever, all boxes are based on:
    Allwinner H6 Chipset most run only under Android 7

i think,

the Allwinner H616 chipset most run Android 9 max Android 10
    that is the difference

the above box with Android 9 is based on PX6
    RK3399
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode