CarPlay AI Box - "Android headunit" dongle?

Search This thread

DrFraC

Apr 25, 2021
Does anyone know if the new carplay box has input sound and wifi connection separated by original launcher or it's bounded like the old one?

UEFA_ICT

Jun 19, 2012
warsaw
I was fortunate to return my CP600 and get a refund.
Its all the same ****e and new box is possibly faster with new extra features but in general its money better spent if you'd purchase android phone and root it. Simply it would provide better integration that this cooked Android OS which user-friendliness is far from perfect.

Btw, few pics as I couldnt press reset button with a pin. Some of you who had this issue, now know why :) when I was assembling the covers back, the radiator fell off the thermopad by itself. Good hardware :)

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1631.jpg
    IMG_1631.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77

Andason74

• Dec 24, 2015
    I was fortunate to return my CP600 and get a refund.
    Its all the same ****e and new box is possibly faster with new extra features but in general its money better spent if you'd purchase android phone and root it. Simply it would provide better integration that this cooked Android OS which user-friendliness is far from perfect.

Btw, few pics as I couldnt press reset button with a pin. Some of you who had this issue, now know why :) when I was assembling the covers back, the radiator fell off the thermopad by itself. Good hardware :)
    No problems with either of my two boxes 1. android 7 and 1. android 9. The android 7 box actually is better for me for several capabilities and its size. Loving it!

AmroGamal

Apr 23, 2015
    That's what got me intrigued, how they manage to output to CarPlay! If it's purely software based then it might be ported.
    I will try to get one of those to play around!
    Did you get hold of one of these devices, I mean MMB? DO you how they make it and which software they used in it? I want to make my own one using raspberry pi 4 instead of buying this Chinese made one

raffy052021

May 7, 2021
    Just received 1st firmware upgrade for the Android 9/RK3399/PX6 Android Ai unit dongle.

it’s dated 16th of Jan 2021 (previous one was from November 2020).

major changes I have noticed so far:

- Finally the CarPlay display part runs at 30fps/hz previously it was running at 15fps..which resulted in fast moving objects (like moving maps) choppy) - its fixed now and the display is very smooth.

-Wireless CarPlay dongles (USB) now works properly - before the update wireless CarPlay would hang after 5-10 minutes.

however...bloody Bluetooth is still disabled...USB Bluetooth dongle does not work due to missing Bluetooth stack.

hopefully someone finds this firmware handy and figures out a way to root and inject the Bluetooth stack.

Caution: please install at your own risk!!

could repost android 9 update, can't download ... thanks

Tasker_Jun

Feb 10, 2021
    Ask your seller he will send you the files too. But never tried, I gave up because I could not hit the reset button with a small pin. Everyone said that you have open the box to hit the reset button.
    Where did you get the information about AI BOX? Do you know any other forum to get information source except this XDA or 4pda.ru?

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    LG G3
    I just received new ai box with qualcomm processor. I know you are member of 4pdf.ru

I can not join 4pda.ru. So anyone who interested this new box, let me know. I will testing all of curious things. And upload about that. Most of all, the new box can use car original GPS.
    Hey, Just bought exactly the Same one and its actually a lot faster then the CP600. But it has still a lot of bugs and the Base Android is querky. For instance, every music Player Poweramp,Homemade,etc) including Spotify has a a hell lot of audio Drops even running in foreground, in Background and Split Screen mode its unusable. At least you can now Switch to another Launcher and the OEM GPS works, If you Set it in the system settings as default GPS. But now you can't run custom overlays, cause in every restart it Overrides the system settings to Default. So there's no Navigation bar possible.
    So for my Point of View there are lot of improvements, but the Bugs outshine these and for now at least the Box is less usable then the old CP600.

Does anyone have never Firmware? please PM me!

SonicSpinner

Oct 11, 2008
    Hey, Just bought exactly the Same one and its actually a lot faster then the CP600. But it has still a lot of bugs and the Base Android is querky. For instance, every music Player Poweramp,Homemade,etc) including Spotify has a a hell lot of audio Drops even running in foreground, in Background and Split Screen mode its unusable. At least you can now Switch to another Launcher and the OEM GPS works, If you Set it in the system settings as default GPS. But now you can't run custom overlays, cause in every restart it Overrides the system settings to Default. So there's no Navigation bar possible.
    So for my Point of View there are lot of improvements, but the Bugs outshine these and for now at least the Box is less usable then the old CP600.

Does anyone have never Firmware? please PM me!
    man that sounds dissapointing as hell. lol. maaybe i should mine ready for a return, once i get it lol
    what about split screen navi + youtube. they made video out of it, and it looked fine no drops.

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    LG G3
    Hi all

Does anyone have the latest firmware update for the CP-21 dongle?
    I have tried the WJUC1_107_003_Update_MMB_2021012714 file from here https://www.carplaymmb.com/pages/software-updates but it says not a valid update when trying to upgrade
    hXXps://youtu.be/cf38Wb4W2aU
    Try to find it Here, Pass is in the beginning of the Video. The one you downloaded seems to be for the cp600

Reactions: golffather

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    LG G3
    I just received new ai box with qualcomm processor. I know you are member of 4pdf.ru

I can not join 4pda.ru. So anyone who interested this new box, let me know. I will testing all of curious things. And upload about that. Most of all, the new box can use car original GPS.
    Here ist the latest updatefile 10-05-2021 for the new ApplePie Box with the snapdragon:

https://mega.nz/file/pSoBFQxQ#0BqHAYMrgKphNwJgVQCU7bngDKmrRsjhQEhyC0yiQ-w

Sound stuttering is a lot better, but not completely fixed!

photo_2021-05-11_19-54-48.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      You're likely to regret buying one of these buggy greyboxes if Android Auto is what you want.

Suggest avoiding these hacks and buying a genuine certified Android Auto unit.

CP boxes are all fine with UROID firmware (https://www.car4play.kr/product-page/uroid). No bugs works perfectly. Btw. there are no 'certified Android Auto unit" for Porsche or other VW group cars and it is uncomparable with full adnroid system in small plug-and-play device. I do not think it is a good idea to change head unit in 100k+ premium car :)
      so any firmware update should work?
      Normally Yes, Just go to Playstore and Trigger the Playstore protect verification there.
      It's seems that there is a new version with Android 9 and Wifi 5Ghz...

or
      Hello all
      I own a CP600 about a month ago and I rooted it via superSu and it works fine
      What I have done is the following:
      1- I downloaded the file sun50iw6p1_android_petrel-p1_uart0.img
      2- Open the file and extract recovery.fex and root it
      3- Restore recovery.fex file to sun50iw6p1_android_petrel-p1_uart0.img
      4- I downloaded the modified file to the device via the PhoenixUSBPro.exe program
      5- I installed the superSu program and the root worked great
      But when updating the device with the upgrade_pkg.zip file, the root goes and after several attempts, I found a funny way to root any upgrade_pkg.zip file, which is as follows:
      1- Install the upgrade_pkg.zip file via usb as usual and update the device normally
      2- Install the modified sun50iw6p1_android_petrel-p1_uart0.img file via PhoenixSuit
      3- From the fireware option, choose the modified file sun50iw6p1_android_petrel-p1_uart0.img, then press right on Download On or multi partition and choose boot only and install
      Note \\ I did not put a link to the modified file sun50iw6p1_android_petrel-p1_uart0.img because it is 1.4 GB in size and I did not explain the installation of the ROM in detail because there are explanations on YouTube
      Well done.

Can you explain what we can use the root for on this device? What advantages can we get.
      Thanx
      The benefit of root as it is known
      1- Control the processor through the kernel-manager program and raise its speed from 1500 MHz to 1800 MHz
      2- Modify the MiuDrive.apk file to add languages that do not exist
      3- Switch between MiuDrive.apk files to try system updates without upgrade_pkg.zip every time
      4- Delete all advertisements in programs through the AdAway.apk program, which needs root
      5- Add car launcher apk and make it work directly after working MiuDrive.apk without my intervention and this needs root
      This is what I remember now
      Hi I have this version of AI box
      https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...a2756.order-detail-ta-ta-b.0.0.5abb2fc2wCcoEN

There is also rebranded version from Joyeauto with 4GB RAM, generally it is the same product:
      https://www.joyeauto.com/mmb-multim...-for-the-cars-with-oem-factory-apple-carplay/

Joyeauto provides also download section for this device, where is a new ROM:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oyjsw7s4q6dmvrm/AADy_yP8FC3JqnIrgjZrK-Gea?dl=0

Is there anybody who can make custom rooted firmware?

Btw. It can be plugged to any Android phone/ tablet via Carlinkit Wried CarPlay Smart Link Dongle for Android https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33038683679.html

It works like in the car, it is good for playing with and installing in home.

Bluetooth is blocked only for phone connection. I plugged cheap BT dongle to the USB port of the AI box and now I can connect anything including of OBD2.

What is annoying is autohiding on-screen navigation panel. It would be better make the always visible navigation bar and all apks opening resized in the rest of the screen.

Generally it is pretty interesting and good working device.
      ladies and gentlemen. the new carplay box has been released.
      it is a beast! holy moly, thoae chinese went all in on this box.

It looks a little bit bigger than CP boxes, but still can be hidden somewhere in the car. Would you please measure dimensions? Seller has incorrect info about this (10.8 x 8.9 x 10.4 cm), it does not look 8.9 cm thick.

Would you confirm that it needs only OTG-USB cable connected to cars’ Carplay port to work? No extra power cable nedded? Does it take GPS and MIC signal from the car or do you need to plug extra devices? Because I see all those accessories at the seller’s page…

What about Bluetooth settings? Can the phone and OBD2 be connected? What is the quality of calls?

Is there some car buttons mapper apk installed? Which car buttons works and does not works for you?
      1. See the below picture. It would be correct.

2.It works only otg-usb. Not necessary any cable to working.

3.it takes car original gps and mic signal. You don't need to plug extra devices.

4. You can connect Bluetooth devices. But I don't use phone connection so I don't know the quality of calls

5. The car buttons work properly maybe.

I just received few hours ago. I am still working for my family. If you ask more detail(such as video upload), I can solve your questions.

I used cp600, px6 all of ai box. But this new box is the best for now.
      Do you get the “Video Instructions” ?

I just received AI BOX that real android 9.

I appreciate to you tell us this device. It is indeed faster than android 7 device as you said.

But it can not support car original GPS. I ask to seller it can be support usb gps such as VK172 something.

Also, I can found the new seller
      ₩ 261,209 31%OFF | Carplay AI 박스 자동차 멀티미디어 플레이어 BMW 폭스 바겐 메르세데스 벤츠 아우디 볼보 안드로이드 PX6 시스템 4G 32G 쉬운 연결 mirrolor 링크
      This guy is selling the same device only 250 dollars. OMG.
      No, I still have not received the video.

it seems during the firmware update via USB, CarPlay display does not work so you can’t see any progress or when the firmware upgrade is done.

I connected a PC monitor on the HDMI output port and could see the android update progress. It takes about 3 minutes and then a message pops up on the screen to remove the USB disk with the update file, once you have done that, AI dongle restarts to the CarPlay screen completing the firmware upgrade process.

to summaries connect a HDMI monitor to see the progress...Or wait for 5-10 minutes for upgrade to complete while connected to your car power and then disconnect the USB disk (at your own risk).

And yes this dongle does not pickup car original GPS signal...you need to use the GPS antenna provided with the AI dongle. The android 7 unit does support car original GPS..I guess you can’t have everything.