• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

CarPlay AI Box - "Android headunit" dongle?

Search This thread

DrFraC

Apr 25, 2021
Does anyone know if the new carplay box has input sound and wifi connection separated by original launcher or it's bounded like the old one?

UEFA_ICT

Jun 19, 2012
warsaw
I was fortunate to return my CP600 and get a refund.
Its all the same ****e and new box is possibly faster with new extra features but in general its money better spent if you'd purchase android phone and root it. Simply it would provide better integration that this cooked Android OS which user-friendliness is far from perfect.

Btw, few pics as I couldnt press reset button with a pin. Some of you who had this issue, now know why :) when I was assembling the covers back, the radiator fell off the thermopad by itself. Good hardware :)

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1631.jpg
    IMG_1631.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77

Andason74

Dec 24, 2015
I was fortunate to return my CP600 and get a refund.
Its all the same ****e and new box is possibly faster with new extra features but in general its money better spent if you'd purchase android phone and root it. Simply it would provide better integration that this cooked Android OS which user-friendliness is far from perfect.

Btw, few pics as I couldnt press reset button with a pin. Some of you who had this issue, now know why :) when I was assembling the covers back, the radiator fell off the thermopad by itself. Good hardware :)
No problems with either of my two boxes 1. android 7 and 1. android 9. The android 7 box actually is better for me for several capabilities and its size. Loving it!

AmroGamal

Apr 23, 2015
That's what got me intrigued, how they manage to output to CarPlay! If it's purely software based then it might be ported.
I will try to get one of those to play around!
Did you get hold of one of these devices, I mean MMB? DO you how they make it and which software they used in it? I want to make my own one using raspberry pi 4 instead of buying this Chinese made one

raffy052021

May 7, 2021
Just received 1st firmware upgrade for the Android 9/RK3399/PX6 Android Ai unit dongle.

it’s dated 16th of Jan 2021 (previous one was from November 2020).

major changes I have noticed so far:

- Finally the CarPlay display part runs at 30fps/hz previously it was running at 15fps..which resulted in fast moving objects (like moving maps) choppy) - its fixed now and the display is very smooth.

-Wireless CarPlay dongles (USB) now works properly - before the update wireless CarPlay would hang after 5-10 minutes.

however...bloody Bluetooth is still disabled...USB Bluetooth dongle does not work due to missing Bluetooth stack.

hopefully someone finds this firmware handy and figures out a way to root and inject the Bluetooth stack.

Caution: please install at your own risk!!

could repost android 9 update, can't download ... thanks

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
LG G3
I just received new ai box with qualcomm processor. I know you are member of 4pdf.ru

I can not join 4pda.ru. So anyone who interested this new box, let me know. I will testing all of curious things. And upload about that. Most of all, the new box can use car original GPS.
Hey, Just bought exactly the Same one and its actually a lot faster then the CP600. But it has still a lot of bugs and the Base Android is querky. For instance, every music Player Poweramp,Homemade,etc) including Spotify has a a hell lot of audio Drops even running in foreground, in Background and Split Screen mode its unusable. At least you can now Switch to another Launcher and the OEM GPS works, If you Set it in the system settings as default GPS. But now you can't run custom overlays, cause in every restart it Overrides the system settings to Default. So there's no Navigation bar possible.
So for my Point of View there are lot of improvements, but the Bugs outshine these and for now at least the Box is less usable then the old CP600.

Does anyone have never Firmware? please PM me!

SonicSpinner

Oct 11, 2008
Hey, Just bought exactly the Same one and its actually a lot faster then the CP600. But it has still a lot of bugs and the Base Android is querky. For instance, every music Player Poweramp,Homemade,etc) including Spotify has a a hell lot of audio Drops even running in foreground, in Background and Split Screen mode its unusable. At least you can now Switch to another Launcher and the OEM GPS works, If you Set it in the system settings as default GPS. But now you can't run custom overlays, cause in every restart it Overrides the system settings to Default. So there's no Navigation bar possible.
So for my Point of View there are lot of improvements, but the Bugs outshine these and for now at least the Box is less usable then the old CP600.

Does anyone have never Firmware? please PM me!
man that sounds dissapointing as hell. lol. maaybe i should mine ready for a return, once i get it lol
what about split screen navi + youtube. they made video out of it, and it looked fine no drops.

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
LG G3
Reactions: golffather

LwannaCM

Nov 8, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
LG G3
I just received new ai box with qualcomm processor. I know you are member of 4pdf.ru

I can not join 4pda.ru. So anyone who interested this new box, let me know. I will testing all of curious things. And upload about that. Most of all, the new box can use car original GPS.
Here ist the latest updatefile 10-05-2021 for the new ApplePie Box with the snapdragon:

https://mega.nz/file/pSoBFQxQ#0BqHAYMrgKphNwJgVQCU7bngDKmrRsjhQEhyC0yiQ-w

Sound stuttering is a lot better, but not completely fixed!

photo_2021-05-11_19-54-48.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since some users don't like the floating buttons of the standard launcher (CP600 device) and I haven't found a solution, I have now put my hands on it and removed it.

I thought I'd share my file with the community.

But first a little disclaimer:

This is just a test. Please always make Backups! It works on my device, but I can't tell if it works on others. The base file is from the rooted firmware MIUOS1.0_010_288_2021053119, which I prefer and can confirm as working.

I am not responsible for any damage. Since it's a system app, the file can damage the device. Install it at your own risk.

Please remember to install a custom NavBar App, such as "Navigation Bar" from the PlayStore beforehand, otherwise navigation will no longer be possible.

In addition, a second launcher should be installed to be on the safe side so that it can be used if you have any problems with the default launcher.

!!! Attention, the installation requires root and the APK can't be installed as a normal app. It has to run as a system app !!!

Installation:

1. Install any File Explorer with Root-Access from the Google PlayStore, e.g. "Root Explorer"
    2. Open app and make /system/app writable
    3. Navigate to /system/app/MiuDrive
    4. Create a Backup of your original MiuDrive.apk file
    5. Download the changed MiuDrive.apk
    6. Copy the new MiuDrive.apk to /system/app/MiuDrive and overwrite the existing file
    7. Restart the device

Now the floating buttons should no longer be visible.

Hope it's helpful for someone..
    I am trying to run an app called OBDeleven, that pairs with a dongle that is connected via odb2 port in my car.

I've downloaded every app launcher and BT settings app in the play store. They either crash or turn BT on for a second, then it goes right back off again. I must have a faulty box...
    Hi I have this version of AI box
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...a2756.order-detail-ta-ta-b.0.0.5abb2fc2wCcoEN

There is also rebranded version from Joyeauto with 4GB RAM, generally it is the same product:
    https://www.joyeauto.com/mmb-multim...-for-the-cars-with-oem-factory-apple-carplay/

Joyeauto provides also download section for this device, where is a new ROM:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oyjsw7s4q6dmvrm/AADy_yP8FC3JqnIrgjZrK-Gea?dl=0

Is there anybody who can make custom rooted firmware?

Btw. It can be plugged to any Android phone/ tablet via Carlinkit Wried CarPlay Smart Link Dongle for Android https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33038683679.html

It works like in the car, it is good for playing with and installing in home.

Bluetooth is blocked only for phone connection. I plugged cheap BT dongle to the USB port of the AI box and now I can connect anything including of OBD2.

What is annoying is autohiding on-screen navigation panel. It would be better make the always visible navigation bar and all apks opening resized in the rest of the screen.

Generally it is pretty interesting and good working device.
    ladies and gentlemen. the new carplay box has been released.
    it is a beast! holy moly, thoae chinese went all in on this box.

It looks a little bit bigger than CP boxes, but still can be hidden somewhere in the car. Would you please measure dimensions? Seller has incorrect info about this (10.8 x 8.9 x 10.4 cm), it does not look 8.9 cm thick.

Would you confirm that it needs only OTG-USB cable connected to cars’ Carplay port to work? No extra power cable nedded? Does it take GPS and MIC signal from the car or do you need to plug extra devices? Because I see all those accessories at the seller’s page…

What about Bluetooth settings? Can the phone and OBD2 be connected? What is the quality of calls?

Is there some car buttons mapper apk installed? Which car buttons works and does not works for you?
    1. See the below picture. It would be correct.

2.It works only otg-usb. Not necessary any cable to working.

3.it takes car original gps and mic signal. You don't need to plug extra devices.

4. You can connect Bluetooth devices. But I don't use phone connection so I don't know the quality of calls

5. The car buttons work properly maybe.

I just received few hours ago. I am still working for my family. If you ask more detail(such as video upload), I can solve your questions.

I used cp600, px6 all of ai box. But this new box is the best for now.