General Carrier Services 89.0..._20220118

Search This thread

TheAnarchi1

Nov 28, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
T-Mobile is still September policy.
I hopped off the December 10th beta and manually installed this new carrier services 89. build. The connection seems more stable at first pass, but I also cannot seem to pick up 5G UC. I am going to take a drive and go tower hopping to see if I can jump start it with a handoff.

I think swider is talking about the app from the playstore rather than what T-Mobile shows in the sim option. Admittedly my knowledge is limited on the particulars of this stuff.

DespairFactor

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I hopped off the December 10th beta and manually installed this new carrier services 89. build. The connection seems more stable at first pass, but I also cannot seem to pick up 5G UC. I am going to take a drive and go tower hopping to see if I can jump start it with a handoff.

I think swider is talking about the app from the playstore rather than what T-Mobile shows in the sim option. Admittedly my knowledge is limited on the particulars of this stuff.
I thought you said you were going to drive by a tower and jump off

Pgr626

Feb 9, 2011
Paris
I will test on my Pixel 6 Pro... I hope this is better...

Edit : It's changing nothing, I just want cry again and again... (clear cache/data of carrier services, SIMToolkit, Sim Manager, reboot my Pixel...) F*ck Google !

Last edited:

TheAnarchi1

Nov 28, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Just RMA it. I also had connection issues right from the start (interupted mobile connection while at full LTE reception) and will get a replacement.
stroke55,

Did you have the same issues with your replacement device? I have read a couple people going that route and they all seem to end up with roughly the same issues on the new device. I am still willing to believe that it's a software problem.

• Sad
Reactions: dexlemaffo

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I got the new Carrier Services about a day or so ago. I think I might have noticed a decent increase in network and therefore better battery life. But I'll know more in a day or so. But it does look good so far.

stroke55

Nov 29, 2013
Google Nexus 5
Moto Z
stroke55,

Did you have the same issues with your replacement device? I have read a couple people going that route and they all seem to end up with roughly the same issues on the new device. I am still willing to believe that it's a software problem.
I will get my replacement unit next week probably (Google received my faulty P6P a couple of minutes ago) and will report back. If the issue will not be resolved Google will have a second chance to fix it before I have the legal right to withdraw from the purchase contract (at least here in my country). After 3 months I am just tired that Google seems to be unable to fix just a basic functionality of the phone softwarewise (or hardwarewise - who knows?!).

Last edited:

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
It looks like you can't get version 89.0___ unless you're in the Carrier Services beta group. But regardless, I think that I found a partial solution to one of the service issues that some are facing on T-Mo. In the SIM settings, put your "preferred network" to LTE (it's on 5G by default). In some areas of the US, your "5G" towers are just updated LTE towers and aren't proper 5G towers. As a result, if 5G is your preferred data type, it might dismiss the upgraded LTE towers and try its best to connect to an actual 5G tower, hence why it keeps failing and providing no service in some areas. Fixed.

Switching my preferred network to LTE resulted in the 5G logo popping up in the status bar and showing 3-4 bars of connection. It seems that the settings are a little messed up there.

*Edit* - Welp, nevermind. Ten minutes after doing this, the 5G logo went to the LTE image... And then ten more minutes later, I lost connection again and it wouldn't reconnect regardless of what was done... I'm gonna try joining the carrier services beta and see what happens. The only change I've made before this started happening was flash the latest Despair kernel.

*Final Edit* - I have removed my other edit posts as the issue was gone on other kernels and then returned a few minutes later. It seems there's either maintenance on my nearest cell tower or something else is going on... I'll wipe and reinstall the January update tonight to see what happens. Weird stuff. Yeah, disregard this as a re-update resolved the problem =)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
What exactly does "carrier services" even do? It definitely isn't modem firmware, so can't impact signal strength or stability.

swieder711

Screenshot_20220127-083934_Google Play Store.png

TheAnarchi1

Nov 28, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
What exactly does "carrier services" even do? It definitely isn't modem firmware, so can't impact signal strength or stability.
This is the millions $$ question. Some say it deals with RCS messaging. Others have dug into the app and say it deals with IMS-related stuff. The going consensus is that it basically provides instructions of sorts to carriers on how to best optimise their service for the hardware. I can say that the .89 beta apk has improved my circumstance now about 24 hours in. I haven't had any disconnects that I am aware of. The device also appears to run cooler. I mean this could all be placebo and they could just be doing tower work, but it feels like an improvement to me.

TheAnarchi1

Nov 28, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
It looks like you can't get version 89.0___ unless you're in the Carrier Services beta group. But regardless, I think that I found a partial solution to one of the service issues that some are facing on T-Mo. In the SIM settings, put your "preferred network" to LTE (it's on 5G by default). In some areas of the US, your "5G" towers are just updated LTE towers and aren't proper 5G towers. As a result, if 5G is your preferred data type, it will dismiss the upgraded LTE towers and try its best to connect to an actual 5G tower, hence why it keeps failing and providing no service in some areas.

Switching my preferred network to LTE resulted in the 5G logo popping up in the status bar and showing 3-4 bars of connection. It seems that the settings are a little messed up there.

*Edit* - Welp, nevermind. Ten minutes after doing this, the 5G logo went to the LTE image... And then ten more minutes later, I lost connection again and it wouldn't reconnect regardless of what was done... I'm gonna try joining the carrier services beta and see what happens. The only change I've made before this started happening was flash the latest Despair kernel.

*Final Edit* - I have removed my other edit posts as the issue was gone on other kernels and then returned a few minutes later. It seems there's either maintenance on my nearest cell tower or something else is going on... I'll wipe and reinstall the January update tonight to see what happens. Weird stuff.
There's definitely some backend wonkiness with the preferred network toggle. It takes a good minute sometimes more for the network to jump back to LTE.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I thought you said you were going to drive by a tower and jump off
    Whenever an update says "Bug fixes and stability improvements" I just wanna rip my hair out. Why can't they provide a list as to what bugs they actually fixed?? I enjoy reading such updates to see if I actually had a bug they took action on, and to also be informed about bugs that were present to begin with.
    This is the millions $$ question. Some say it deals with RCS messaging. Others have dug into the app and say it deals with IMS-related stuff. The going consensus is that it basically provides instructions of sorts to carriers on how to best optimise their service for the hardware. I can say that the .89 beta apk has improved my circumstance now about 24 hours in. I haven't had any disconnects that I am aware of. The device also appears to run cooler. I mean this could all be placebo and they could just be doing tower work, but it feels like an improvement to me.
    Hello, is it possible to upload the Carrierservice Files? It seems that these are the Betaversion and I like to test them too. I'm a User with heavy connection problems and the Betaprogram seems to be closed. Thx a lot and have a nice Day.
    Hello, you can opt-in to the beta with this app:

Or download APK from here:

T-Mobile is still September policy.