How To Guide Carrier/SIM Unlock - Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G SM-G998U & U1 (QualComm SnapDragon) USA/CANADA! - NO ROOT- FREE

Search This thread

domnulv

Jan 11, 2008
This method on the thread doesn't work. But I used Dr. Sim to get mine unlocked. Paid $40 and in a week they sent me a number that I entered when I put a different carrier sim in and it unlocked it. Make sure you get the official Dr. Sim website. Other places come up in a Google search
We talk about s21 verizon unlock. It is not possible with code received from server, dr sim or another...

HaniBawolf

Apr 29, 2022
Here's a free How-To on how i successfully Carrier/Sim unlocked my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G running the NEWEST Android update on bootloader 5 (USQU5BULJ)released in January of 2022 that was carrier locked to Verizon and now fully Unlocked.

DISCLAIMER:
*This does NOT trip Knox or Void your warranty and does NOT require a root or a paid service. **This is the process I took, you may find some of these steps are not needed but for the purpose or recreating my results, I'll be posting my exact process.***This has ONLY BEEN TESTED ON SNAPDRAGON BASED SAMSUNG GALAXY S21 ULTRA 5G SM-G998 U & U1, if you try it on a different model or phone you may (and likely will) receive different results!!!!

You can read more on how this method works to force a carrier update to your device, here, on the Official Android dev site.

Here's what you'll need:
•ANY (activated or not) Sim from the carrier you wish to switch too.(or a way to replicate the carriers cert from one)
•A computer
•Patched Odin
•BOTH the NEWEST U & U1 ROMs/Firmware - theres a full post on these and how to flash them here, Stock Firmware and ODIN Flashing Guide (XDA) or visit SamFW.com, it has both Odin and the ROM/Firmware files you will need.
•(Optional?) Android ADB platform tools (You can find them on the official Android Developers page here or use any ADB software of your choice, fastboot is not required or used in this process. Link: Android Dev Platform Tools (Official)

Step 1:
So let's presume you have a Verizon or T-Mobile carrier locked phone, if you look at your baseband, which you can find in Settings > About > Software Info, you should see this "SM-G998Uxxxxxxx"

NOTE:
It Is CRITICAL that we flash the U1 rom BEFORE putting in the desired carriers SIM, then reboot, let phone fully boot, ONLY THEN should we insert the desired carriers SIM.

Step 1b:
Head over to your preferred site to get stock Samsung Roms (Refer to link above if you don't know where to find) and download the U1 XAA rom and the U rom of the CARRIER YOU WISH TO USE.

IMPORTANT! MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD BOTH THE "U" ROM FOR THE CARRIER YOU WISH TO SWITCH TO AND THE U1 UNLOCKED (XAA) ROM/Firmware.

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE U1 FIRMWARE
I.e "SM-G998U1xxxxxxx" - you can skip to step 2, but I would recommend reading through the next part.

Put you device in download mode (Hold Vol up and Vol down and plug in the USB, which should be connected to your PC and now your phone at this point.)

Flash the U1 XAA Rom, place appropriate files in appropriate places in Odin, when you get to CSC, DO NOT use the "HOME_CSC" use the other.

Leave the rest of Odin settings alone and hit Start, wait for it to finish and reboot.

Step 2:
Once the phone boots, return to Settings>About>Software and confirm the device is now showing the "U1_XAA" in the Service Provider Software Version - it should say something like "SM-G998U1_XAA blah blah blah" - you just want to see the "U1" bit.

Now put in the Sim from the carrier you desire. A pop-up should appear prompting you to restart your device.

! CRITICALLY IMPORTANT STEP !
We will now initiate a reboot, but BEFORE the device fully restarts, we need to force it into RECOVERY MODE, I was able to achieve this by holding the power and Vol Down buttons at the same time, starting to hold them directly after the "Samsung" Logo fades away upon initial restart. If you have trouble getting into recovery, please comment below.

Once in recovery, use the volume keys to navigate to "Clear Cache" select and execute. Now go to Factory Data Reset/Wipe, select and execute. It should be the option directly above "Clear cache".

Once done, go up to "Reboot to Bootloader", Select & Execute.

AGAIN, Very Important step! We MUST interrupt the boot process again and force the phone BACK into download mode this time, so once the phone attempts to reboot, we need to hold the Vol Down and Vol Up buttons at the same time and the USB MUST be already plugged in, essentially it should remain plugged in throughout this process.

We should now be back in download mode and be on "U1" as we have verified in the steps above.

STEP 3:
Now it's time to flash the ROM/Firmware from the carrier you wish to use. Make SURE you have the SIM from the same carrier inserted during this process as mentioned at the beginning. It doesn't need to be a working or activated SIM, just simply one from the carrier you wish to have this S21 work on.

Flash all items from the "U" ROM/Firmware as you did earlier, ensuring to use the "U" ROM/Firmware for your desired carrier as described above. Same deal with CSC here, DO NOT use the "Home_CSC", use the other.
BE SURE that you use the USERDATA file that comes with the "U" ROM/Firmware. Its Critical in order to get the phone working properly on the new carrier.

Start the Odin flashing process & wait.
Phone will Auto-Reboot.....

Done!

You should now be on the carrier you wish to use.
This can be (in theory, test at own risk) replicated for ANY carrier supported by Samsung.

Please comment your experiences/ issues etc below. Don't be afraid to ask for clarity of something.

PoC, results after doing above process pictured in this screenshot.

Good luck.
-k0mrade

---if you feel like donating because i helped you, heres how:
XMR: 84wfjkvpK8jXR8LmCs5UNn8iuKM427EUCiVdThZBmhCgJBGNrN4TjYdLtUjTWE5ek2fPRYBxz5w3k3M66uJLMArr5CxB99U
Shiba Inu: 0xaa4dfea836e7f28657af6b91d659797eb3ace89b

Before process, this message would appear shortly after inserting a new SIM in testing devices:

View attachment 5530867

After preforming above procedures I now find pictured below by running this activity:
com.samsung.ssu.unlock.MainActivity

View attachment 5531069

And verify twice by checking my work in Settings>About>Software Information> Service Provider Software Version & Carrier Configuration Version.

View attachment 5531071
Could this work for Samsung Note10+ sprint carrier with UI 7 or higher,

Reactions: jedijoe46

Semetery

Feb 22, 2012
The Graveyard
Nexus 6
OnePlus 6T
I'm wondering too.

I used the guide (https://xdaforums.com/t/flashing-s2...etting-past-the-setupconnection-step.4365133/) a few months ago for a previous s21 ultra and it worked, now I can't get Frija to work for me to even get started.

My verizon s21 ultra is unlocked but still the carrier version. I can't get it to store the US Mobile APN no matter what I've tried, so I need to convert it to carrier-free.

Has anyone done it lately?

Last edited:

jedijoe46

Sep 7, 2021
Sucks. I have a Verizon s21 ultra that my cousin gave me just before he passed but it was never used or unlocked. Thought about taking it to Verizon to see if they would unlock it, but I don't know if I'll catch any flack for lack of proof of ownership. It isn't blacklisted. Idk.

Badman87

Jan 5, 2008
According to samkey customer support csc change is supported for the S21 on Binary 4. However network unlock is not supported 1 credit required I haven’t tried it to confirm though

Badman87

Jan 5, 2008
Sucks. I have a Verizon s21 ultra that my cousin gave me just before he passed but it was never used or unlocked. Thought about taking it to Verizon to see if they would unlock it, but I don't know if I'll catch any flack for lack of proof of ownership. It isn't blacklisted. Idk.
At this point I am wondering when this unlock server that all the major unlock site use will finish updating I’ve been waiting for two months. And this thread is very misleading as this thread does not network unlock and was copied from another post.

Kurisoft

Account currently disabled
i installed XAA with samkey but instead of showing G998U1_XAA*, it shows G998U1_OYM_XAA_12_0029 XAA/XAA,XAA/TMB, i insert sim card but still no pop up to restart phone, will keep on searching online, might be wise to just sim unlock it by remote control on ebay, the bad thing is that it cost $200

Badman87

Jan 5, 2008
i installed XAA with samkey but instead of showing G998U1_XAA*, it shows G998U1_OYM_XAA_12_0029 XAA/XAA,XAA/TMB, i insert sim card but still no pop up to restart phone, will keep on searching online, might be wise to just sim unlock it by remote control on ebay, the bad thing is that it cost $200
Remote unlock is presently not supported by reputable sites e.g cellularunlock,imeigurus and even doctorsim, it seems all of them use the same server for unlocking and like its updating 2 months now that eBay 200 I am 100% sure they can’t do it they will collect your money and cancel and refund you or have you waiting don’t buy it unless they confirm before purchase that it can be done right away. I’m waiting too hoping for a solution

Kurisoft

Remote unlock is presently not supported by reputable sites e.g cellularunlock,imeigurus and even doctorsim, it seems all of them use the same server for unlocking and like its updating 2 months now that eBay 200 I am 100% sure they can’t do it they will collect your money and cancel and refund you or have you waiting don’t buy it unless they confirm before purchase that it can be done right away. I’m waiting too hoping for a solution
checked on drsim like people on this thread had mention and it shows they can remotely unlock the phone for $110, but not sure if its 100% trustworthy

Kurisoft

trying to revert back to tmo stock rom and odin keeps on getting stuck on file analysis, have tried multiple cords, changed usb ports, restarted pc, restarted phone, restarted odin, nothing seems to work.

odinstuck.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Badman87

Jan 5, 2008
trying to revert back to tmo stock rom and odin keeps on getting stuck on file analysis, have tried multiple cords, changed usb ports, restarted pc, restarted phone, restarted odin, nothing seems to work.

View attachment 5621419
Maybe you can try a firm ware with the same binary (3) I see you’re trying to update to binary (5). I’m no expert but just confirm it’s the right region firmware for your device

Kurisoft

Maybe you can try a firm ware with the same binary (3) I see you’re trying to update to binary (5). I’m no expert but just confirm it’s the right region firmware for your device
i was able to go back to stock, i gave up on unlocking the sim for now, but, if the sim is locked, so is the esim? any one knows?

edit:
-searched on the web, and it seems my question was kinda dumb,
-esim locked aswell.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's a free How-To on how i successfully Carrier/Sim unlocked my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G running the NEWEST Android update on bootloader 5 (USQU5BULJ)released in January of 2022 that was carrier locked to Verizon and now fully Unlocked.

DISCLAIMER:
    *This does NOT trip Knox or Void your warranty and does NOT require a root or a paid service. **This is the process I took, you may find some of these steps are not needed but for the purpose or recreating my results, I'll be posting my exact process.***This has ONLY BEEN TESTED ON SNAPDRAGON BASED SAMSUNG GALAXY S21 ULTRA 5G SM-G998 U & U1, if you try it on a different model or phone you may (and likely will) receive different results!!!!

You can read more on how this method works to force a carrier update to your device, here, on the Official Android dev site.

Here's what you'll need:
    •ANY (activated or not) Sim from the carrier you wish to switch too.(or a way to replicate the carriers cert from one)
    •A computer
    •Patched Odin
    •BOTH the NEWEST U & U1 ROMs/Firmware - theres a full post on these and how to flash them here, Stock Firmware and ODIN Flashing Guide (XDA) or visit SamFW.com, it has both Odin and the ROM/Firmware files you will need.
    •(Optional?) Android ADB platform tools (You can find them on the official Android Developers page here or use any ADB software of your choice, fastboot is not required or used in this process. Link: Android Dev Platform Tools (Official)

Step 1:
    So let's presume you have a Verizon or T-Mobile carrier locked phone, if you look at your baseband, which you can find in Settings > About > Software Info, you should see this "SM-G998Uxxxxxxx"

NOTE:
    It Is CRITICAL that we flash the U1 rom BEFORE putting in the desired carriers SIM, then reboot, let phone fully boot, ONLY THEN should we insert the desired carriers SIM.

Step 1b:
    Head over to your preferred site to get stock Samsung Roms (Refer to link above if you don't know where to find) and download the U1 XAA rom and the U rom of the CARRIER YOU WISH TO USE.

IMPORTANT! MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD BOTH THE "U" ROM FOR THE CARRIER YOU WISH TO SWITCH TO AND THE U1 UNLOCKED (XAA) ROM/Firmware.

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE U1 FIRMWARE
    I.e "SM-G998U1xxxxxxx" - you can skip to step 2, but I would recommend reading through the next part.

Put you device in download mode (Hold Vol up and Vol down and plug in the USB, which should be connected to your PC and now your phone at this point.)

Flash the U1 XAA Rom, place appropriate files in appropriate places in Odin, when you get to CSC, DO NOT use the "HOME_CSC" use the other.

Leave the rest of Odin settings alone and hit Start, wait for it to finish and reboot.

Step 2:
    Once the phone boots, return to Settings>About>Software and confirm the device is now showing the "U1_XAA" in the Service Provider Software Version - it should say something like "SM-G998U1_XAA blah blah blah" - you just want to see the "U1" bit.

Now put in the Sim from the carrier you desire. A pop-up should appear prompting you to restart your device.

! CRITICALLY IMPORTANT STEP !
    We will now initiate a reboot, but BEFORE the device fully restarts, we need to force it into RECOVERY MODE, I was able to achieve this by holding the power and Vol Down buttons at the same time, starting to hold them directly after the "Samsung" Logo fades away upon initial restart. If you have trouble getting into recovery, please comment below.

Once in recovery, use the volume keys to navigate to "Clear Cache" select and execute. Now go to Factory Data Reset/Wipe, select and execute. It should be the option directly above "Clear cache".

Once done, go up to "Reboot to Bootloader", Select & Execute.

AGAIN, Very Important step! We MUST interrupt the boot process again and force the phone BACK into download mode this time, so once the phone attempts to reboot, we need to hold the Vol Down and Vol Up buttons at the same time and the USB MUST be already plugged in, essentially it should remain plugged in throughout this process.

We should now be back in download mode and be on "U1" as we have verified in the steps above.

STEP 3:
    Now it's time to flash the ROM/Firmware from the carrier you wish to use. Make SURE you have the SIM from the same carrier inserted during this process as mentioned at the beginning. It doesn't need to be a working or activated SIM, just simply one from the carrier you wish to have this S21 work on.

Flash all items from the "U" ROM/Firmware as you did earlier, ensuring to use the "U" ROM/Firmware for your desired carrier as described above. Same deal with CSC here, DO NOT use the "Home_CSC", use the other.
    BE SURE that you use the USERDATA file that comes with the "U" ROM/Firmware. Its Critical in order to get the phone working properly on the new carrier.

Start the Odin flashing process & wait.
    Phone will Auto-Reboot.....

Done!

You should now be on the carrier you wish to use.
    This can be (in theory, test at own risk) replicated for ANY carrier supported by Samsung.

Please comment your experiences/ issues etc below. Don't be afraid to ask for clarity of something.

PoC, results after doing above process pictured in this screenshot.

Good luck.
    -k0mrade

Send me Crypto if I helped?

Before process, this message would appear shortly after inserting a new SIM in testing devices:

Screenshot_20220207-093934_Settings_2.jpg

After preforming above procedures I now find pictured below by running this activity:
    com.samsung.ssu.unlock.MainActivity

Screenshot_20220207-141952_Network unlock.jpg

And verify twice by checking my work in Settings>About>Software Information> Service Provider Software Version & Carrier Configuration Version.

IMG_0671~2.jpg

For anyone whos still having trouble, try following the directions on this thread. Maybe they explain it a bit better or their process omits/includes parts ive missed.

Alternative Guide To Carrier Unlocking S21

Good Luck.
    Thanks for the guide! Is there any chance this process might also work on other phones? I have a Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro that I've been trying to unlock for months. I've called Verizon many times, and they claim they already unlocked it, but when I put another sim in I still get the message "Sorry, your device can't be activated on another carrier's network right now. For help, contact Verizon at (800) 922-0204 or (888) 294-6804 (prepaid plans)."
    Hmm I have not tried it, but, in all reality, I used this exact same method YEARS ago on my S7 Edge and it worked then. I have not tried it on another Samsung but I'd imagine anything other then the newest flagship would probably be quite simple to fix as there should already plenty of resources available via Github and such. If you take it on let me know, I'll do what I can to help.
    If you want to test it out on your device, i see no reason why it shouldnt work if done correctly, but you may have to play with the order in which you interrupt the bootloader and force the update. Even if you have tripped Knox, there is indeed a way to completely disable Knox all together and not get locked out of the device. I did it on the S21 that I unlocked when I was mucking about on the phone. But that's an entire different tutorial and I'd need people to test it on other Samsung devices. But I'd be happy to share that too if you'd like.
    Does this work on s22 or the s22ultra for Verizon. I need to sim unlock a Verizon phone.
    Nope
    If it no longer works, it was probably Patched, that's all I can say, it worked at the time of writing for me and a few others that tested.

If it doesn't work now, then I guess it just doesn't work. Maybe there's a workaround, maybe not, but I haven't had time to look into it and likely won't. If I find anything working in the future I'll update.
    This is a joke. It never worked, and you never provided any proof that it did.
    Thanks for the guide! Is there any chance this process might also work on other phones? I have a Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro that I've been trying to unlock for months. I've called Verizon many times, and they claim they already unlocked it, but when I put another sim in I still get the message "Sorry, your device can't be activated on another carrier's network right now. For help, contact Verizon at (800) 922-0204 or (888) 294-6804 (prepaid plans)."
    This process doesn't even work for the model that it says it does, as many posters have already confirmed in this thread
    Guys it is still possible to unlock devices with a financial responsibility. There are a lot of Unlocking services out there. I unlock phones that are in the lost/stolen/fraud/financial block status all the time, so I can personally verify that it is possible. If you need assistance my DMs are open.