• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Carrier unlocked and unlocking bootloader for use on VZW

Search This thread

Carousser

Jan 15, 2014
Hi all,

I've always had carrier locked phones on Verizon/Verizon models (S3, Note 4, Note 8 - all rooted, only Note 8 with locked bootloader) and I will be getting the 6 pro in the carrier unlocked variant from the Google store. I plan to root when available. As mentioned, I plan to use this on Verizon networks.

I've read some conflicting information regarding bootloader unlocking for carrier unlocked devices to be used on Verizon so just wanted to clarify:

If I buy a carrier unlocked 6 pro, insert my Verizon sim card and set up the phone, will I be able to unlock the bootloader at a later point? Or do I need to unlock the bootloader before inserting the Verizon sim card for the first time?

I realize obviously we don't have the phones yet, but I am presuming this is more of a general question/use case. I've read in multiple spots (here on XDA and other android forums) stating that you need to unlock bootloader before inserting the sim card, but also read that you can do it at any point since the sim card doesn't deny access to those operations. So just looking for what is actually the correct answer.

Az Biker

Senior Moderator / Moderator & RC-RT Committees
Staff member
Hi all,

I've always had carrier locked phones on Verizon/Verizon models (S3, Note 4, Note 8 - all rooted, only Note 8 with locked bootloader) and I will be getting the 6 pro in the carrier unlocked variant from the Google store. I plan to root when available. As mentioned, I plan to use this on Verizon networks.

I've read some conflicting information regarding bootloader unlocking for carrier unlocked devices to be used on Verizon so just wanted to clarify:

If I buy a carrier unlocked 6 pro, insert my Verizon sim card and set up the phone, will I be able to unlock the bootloader at a later point? Or do I need to unlock the bootloader before inserting the Verizon sim card for the first time?

I realize obviously we don't have the phones yet, but I am presuming this is more of a general question/use case. I've read in multiple spots (here on XDA and other android forums) stating that you need to unlock bootloader before inserting the sim card, but also read that you can do it at any point since the sim card doesn't deny access to those operations. So just looking for what is actually the correct answer.
My last several devices have been carrier unlocked, and rooted, while on the Verizon network.

Unless the p6/p6 pro is different than my previous carrier unlocked Google phones, there should be no problem using a Verizon sim in a carrier unlocked device that's rooted.

The only issue I've had with Verizon with a carrier unlocked device is if it is a device they (VZW) do not offer, you cannot use VZW warranty, and you cannot get the free cloud account that comes with a Verizon device.

Of course that may have changed as well, but I've never had an issue with a carrier unlocked Google phone being rooted while using a Verizon sim card.

Hope this helps.

Carousser

Jan 15, 2014
My last several devices have been unlocked carrier, and rooted on Verizon network.

Unless the p6/p6 pro is different than my previous carrier unlocked Google phones, there should be no problem using a Verizon sim in a carrier unlocked device.

The only issue I've had with Verizon with a carrier unlocked device is if it is a device they do not offer they will not warranty and you cannot get the free cloud account that comes with a Verizon device.

Of course that may have changed as well, but I've never had an issue with a carrier unlocked Google phone being rooted while using a Verizon sim card.
Thanks for the response. So just to clarify:
Unless the 6/6 pro is different, a carrier unlocked variant can have its bootloader unlocked at any point - whether it be right away or after the sim card is initially inserted/phone gets activated?

Az Biker

Senior Moderator / Moderator & RC-RT Committees
Staff member
Thanks for the response. So just to clarify:
Unless the 6/6 pro is different, a carrier unlocked variant can have its bootloader unlocked at any point - whether it be right away or after the sim card is initially inserted/phone gets activated?
Yes. That is my experience with all my previous carrier unlocked Google devices that were on the Verizon network.

IIRC, all were rooted AFTER activation on VZW network via sim.