Question Case that actually covers the edges?

Search This thread

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
So I have been seeing that the January update seems to have fixed a lot of issues and that it may be worth buying a 6 or 6 Pro now.

The 6 Pro's size and feature set are much more applicable to me (I have a 12 Pro Max and I'm using a Pixel 3 XL right now and I want to go back to a larger phone plus I would prefer the 12GB of RAM and 120hz display) but I'm nervous about the curved screen. I have been reading case reviews and it seems like it's rare for a rugged case (I always put Spigen Tough Armor cases on all my phones) that actually fits right (Spigen apparently doesn't).

Has anyone found one that's actually good? I think curved edges have to be the stupidest decision Google made besides teaming up with Samsung for the SoC (or at least they should have used a Qualcomm modem) but if I can get a rugged case that protects as well as a flat screen would be protected and does it without impeding the use of the screen beyond the typical pain when trying to copy and paste near the edges (man Android needs to figure that out, Apple does it miles better), I'll probably get a 6 Pro next month. Otherwise I'll just settle on the 6 or wait for the 7.

Reactions: blackhawk

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
So I have been seeing that the January update seems to have fixed a lot of issues and that it may be worth buying a 6 or 6 Pro now.

The 6 Pro's size and feature set are much more applicable to me (I have a 12 Pro Max and I'm using a Pixel 3 XL right now and I want to go back to a larger phone plus I would prefer the 12GB of RAM and 120hz display) but I'm nervous about the curved screen. I have been reading case reviews and it seems like it's rare for a rugged case (I always put Spigen Tough Armor cases on all my phones) that actually fits right (Spigen apparently doesn't).

Has anyone found one that's actually good? I think curved edges have to be the stupidest decision Google made besides teaming up with Samsung for the SoC (or at least they should have used a Qualcomm modem) but if I can get a rugged case that protects as well as a flat screen would be protected and does it without impeding the use of the screen beyond the typical pain when trying to copy and paste near the edges (man Android needs to figure that out, Apple does it miles better), I'll probably get a 6 Pro next month. Otherwise I'll just settle on the 6 or wait for the 7.
Most cases do indeed not properly cover the curved portion, that is a design decision by the case manufacturers, since that would hamper with the swipe from the sides gesture system.

The big Otterbox cases are high enough to "properly" protect the entire screen. Smaller Spigen or Caseology cases are lowered on the sides.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
The above
Most cases do indeed not properly cover the curved portion, that is a design decision by the case manufacturers, since that would hamper with the swipe from the sides gesture system.

The big Otterbox cases are high enough to "properly" protect the entire screen. Smaller Spigen or Caseology cases are lowered on the sides.
This is true. It looks like the case is higher, but if you measure it with a business card, it's actually lower. I have 5 different cases (I know its weird) and none of them are higher than the curved edge (Google, Spigen, Caseology, No-name).

You will need an Otterbox or Ghostek - and even then, it will probably be less than 0.5mm higher. Just get the most rugged case you can find. Just remember that gestures will be a bit harder to use. I've never used a curved screen before and was really worried for it on my Pro, but with a case its great. makes gestures so easy.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P

I use a Spigen Tough Armor on the 6 Pro and it fits just fine. The top and bottom edges are raised high enough so that you can put your phone face down on a flat surface with no worries about the screen touching the surface. The lateral edges are not raised quite as high so as to no interfere with swiping, but still high enough to clear the edges of the display, just not the middle of the display (but that's where the higher-raised top & bottom edges come in to play so that the middle of the display is protected).

Also works fine with my Mowei TGSP.

I use a Spigen Tough Armor on the 6 Pro and it fits just fine. The top and bottom edges are raised high enough so that you can put your phone face down on a flat surface with no worries about the screen touching the surface. The lateral edges are not raised quite as high so as to no interfere with swiping, but still high enough to clear the edges of the display, just not the middle of the display (but that's where the higher-raised top & bottom edges come in to play so that the middle of the display is protected).

I use this case also on my P6P and it works great.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Thanks for all the info everyone.

I will have to look all these up but it does sound like if I want one with the kind of protection I'm used to, I should just get the regular 6, which is what I was afraid of.

I have seen too many "my screen cracked from the edge" posts about this P6P to trust that it won't be totally fragile but it sounds like such a case will interfere with normal operation of the phone so yeah.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all the info everyone.

I will have to look all these up but it does sound like if I want one with the kind of protection I'm used to, I should just get the regular 6, which is what I was afraid of.

I have seen too many "my screen cracked from the edge" posts about this P6P to trust that it won't be totally fragile but it sounds like such a case will interfere with normal operation of the phone so yeah.
I would've been tempted to go for the regular 6 but I need the 512 GB of internal storage, which isn't offered on the 6. I do hate the curved displays, but it doesn't give me that much trouble even in the OtterBox Defender. I do have a WhiteStone tempered glass screen protector on it as well.

Reactions: EtherealRemnant

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
I would've been tempted to go for the regular 6 but I need the 512 GB of internal storage, which isn't offered on the 6. I do hate the curved displays, but it doesn't give me that much trouble even in the OtterBox Defender. I do have a WhiteStone tempered glass screen protector on it as well.
Honestly I always go for base storage models. I was thinking about getting 256GB because I want to play with that PS2 emulator, AetherSX2, but honestly I never run out of storage even on my 64GB Pixel 3 XL so anything extra is just overkill.

The 8GB vs 12GB argument doesn't even matter much since from the videos I've seen, RAM management on Android devices is still aggressive, 8GB is probably plenty fine.

It seems like many find the P6P to have worse battery life to boot. Maybe I'll just get the 6 and save the $300 plus the extra case cost over just getting a Tough Armor like always. I'm used to my Pixel 3 XL's screen size now anyway.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Honestly I always go for base storage models. I was thinking about getting 256GB because I want to play with that PS2 emulator, AetherSX2, but honestly I never run out of storage even on my 64GB Pixel 3 XL so anything extra is just overkill.

The 8GB vs 12GB argument doesn't even matter much since from the videos I've seen, RAM management on Android devices is still aggressive, 8GB is probably plenty fine.

It seems like many find the P6P to have worse battery life to boot. Maybe I'll just get the 6 and save the $300 plus the extra case cost over just getting a Tough Armor like always. I'm used to my Pixel 3 XL's screen size now anyway.
Makes sense. I agree about the RAM, although I'm not a gamer - at least it's few and far between and not very complex games when I do play them. I go through about 50% battery in 24 hours on my P6P, but that's just my use - everyone's use is different. I'm also gentle on my batteries for the last five years. Rarely go below 25% and only normally charge up to 75%, and never quick charge.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Makes sense. I agree about the RAM, although I'm not a gamer - at least it's few and far between and not very complex games when I do play them. I go through about 50% battery in 24 hours on my P6P, but that's just my use - everyone's use is different. I'm also gentle on my batteries for the last five years. Rarely go below 25% and only normally charge up to 75%, and never quick charge.
I do similar with my battery. AccuBattery is set to give me an alarm at 85% charge and I try to put it on the charger around 20%. I use the stock charger though. On nights when I have an appointment the next day I will use my old HTC charger and leave it on overnight so that my battery doesn't run out in the middle of the day.

So 50% huh? What is your SoT like? I am disabled and homebound so I use my phone a LOT... Usually 8+ hours SoT a day. My Pixel 3 XL will last about 7 on a full charge (so about 4 1/2-5 when I'm keeping to my 65% rule) which is excellent for this particular device since it's known to be a 3-4 hour deal but it results in charging twice a day. Would be great to get back to one charge a day like it was with my 12 Pro Max (12-14 hours SoT with my usage).

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I do similar with my battery. AccuBattery is set to give me an alarm at 85% charge and I try to put it on the charger around 20%. I use the stock charger though. On nights when I have an appointment the next day I will use my old HTC charger and leave it on overnight so that my battery doesn't run out in the middle of the day.

So 50% huh? What is your SoT like? I am disabled and homebound so I use my phone a LOT... Usually 8+ hours SoT a day. My Pixel 3 XL will last about 7 on a full charge (so about 4 1/2-5 when I'm keeping to my 65% rule) which is excellent for this particular device since it's known to be a 3-4 hour deal but it results in charging twice a day. Would be great to get back to one charge a day like it was with my 12 Pro Max (12-14 hours SoT with my usage).
It was just a few hours ago I bought the Pro version of GSam Battery Monitor. I was using the free version. I used to use AccuBattery but started using GSam since I can have it alarm when it gets down to 25% also, besides the alarm for 75% (or whatever anyone wants to set them to). I can also have different sounds for each of those two notifications.

The Pro version of GSam is a separate app from the free version instead of just a license, so it seems it started from scratch, and I uninstalled the free version. I normally don't actually pay that close attention to my statistics, so I don't have numbers I can report at this time. I'll set myself a reminder for a couple of days and see what it says and let you know then.

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
It was just a few hours ago I bought the Pro version of GSam Battery Monitor. I was using the free version. I used to use AccuBattery but started using GSam since I can have it alarm when it gets down to 25% also, besides the alarm for 75% (or whatever anyone wants to set them to). I can also have different sounds for each of those two notifications.

The Pro version of GSam is a separate app from the free version instead of just a license, so it seems it started from scratch, and I uninstalled the free version. I normally don't actually pay that close attention to my statistics, so I don't have numbers I can report at this time. I'll set myself a reminder for a couple of days and see what it says and let you know then.
I didn't know GSam had that feature. I haven't used GSam since I was using my HTC U11 back in 2017, mostly because I forgot it existed. If I hadn't just bought AccuBattery this weekend, I would probably go grab it haha.

Looking forward to hearing about your battery life. I will let you know if my impulses get the better of me and I end up with either a 6 or 6 Pro lol. Trying to wait until next month or March so I can actually not put my miscellaneous spending budget in the negative but uhh, I was lying in bed sick with COVID last week and was already fighting with myself about whether to buy or not to buy one (I totally do NOT have a tech geek problem hahaha) so I'm not totally confident I'll make it, especially with how easy it would be to buy it on Amazon and charge it to my Amazon VISA with it arriving at my door the same day.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I didn't know GSam had that feature. I haven't used GSam since I was using my HTC U11 back in 2017, mostly because I forgot it existed. If I hadn't just bought AccuBattery this weekend, I would probably go grab it haha.
If it's within 48 hours of when you bought AccuBattery, you can still request a refund (in the Play Store, scroll to the very, very bottom and (at least if it's within the 48 hours), it'll show in light, gray text about a refund, and click here for more information, which will lead to a webpage where you can start the process. I did it twice yesterday for apps that didn't do what I was hoping they would do, but I couldn't find out without buying them. The refunds weren't approved until today, but they were approved.

Looking forward to hearing about your battery life. I will let you know if my impulses get the better of me and I end up with either a 6 or 6 Pro lol. Trying to wait until next month or March so I can actually not put my miscellaneous spending budget in the negative but uhh, I was lying in bed sick with COVID last week and was already fighting with myself about whether to buy or not to buy one (I totally do NOT have a tech geek problem hahaha) so I'm not totally confident I'll make it, especially with how easy it would be to buy it on Amazon and charge it to my Amazon VISA with it arriving at my door the same day.
:D Sure will, I've set my reminder so I look forward to giving you good news. From what I remember when I was using AccuBattery on my P6P, it estimated 12 or 13 hours of SoT.

I understand. A few months before my Pixel 1 stopped getting updates just over two years ago, I was debating on what to replace it with, or if I wanted to replace it - since Google hadn't yet come out with a 512 GB Pixel. I ended up learning I never want another Samsung (I loved my Galaxy S3 years ago), and indeed if I knew Google was going to come out with a larger storage model two years later, I would've attempted to stick with my Pixel 1.

I posted in another thread about this case, but the Crave Clear Guard is the one I currently use. It actually protects the sides a pretty decent amount. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• rsz_img_2624.jpg
    rsz_img_2624.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 89
  • rsz_img_2625.jpg
    rsz_img_2625.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 89
  • rsz_img_2626.jpg
    rsz_img_2626.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    +1 OtterBox Defender every time
    I posted in another thread about this case, but the Crave Clear Guard is the one I currently use. It actually protects the sides a pretty decent amount. Here are some pics.
    Another vote for the Spigen Tough Armor here.