Question Case that actually covers the edges?

Search This thread

android_dan

Feb 17, 2015
Don't have the Pro but this is the case I used for my Oneplus 8 and I was very happy with it. Work outside and while I try to take care of my phone drops do happen. Never a problem. Note I remove the screen protector. In general I hate those things and by always keeping the phone in the holster I find I don't need one.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to hearing about your battery life. I will let you know if my impulses get the better of me and I end up with either a 6 or 6 Pro lol. Trying to wait until next month or March so I can actually not put my miscellaneous spending budget in the negative but uhh, I was lying in bed sick with COVID last week and was already fighting with myself about whether to buy or not to buy one (I totally do NOT have a tech geek problem hahaha) so I'm not totally confident I'll make it, especially with how easy it would be to buy it on Amazon and charge it to my Amazon VISA with it arriving at my door the same day.
After the short period I've been using GSam Pro (two days), it estimates I have 6 hours 36 minutes SoT average. That's not stellar and is about half of what AccuBattery had estimated when I used to have it installed, but we'll see what GSam says after a week's use. I've also been fiddling again with some mods, plus something I installed must've caused excessive vibrations when I leave a notification active (because I want to get back to it later), so that could've eaten some excessive battery and I might have to track that down.

I've been sticking still to the 25%-75% battery as much as I've been able to. The only common exception is when I use Android Auto (wired) so it charges as long as I'm using it.

I'll report back in another five days, and then another week after that, and see how things progress. If there are any other stats/screenshots from GSam you want to see, just let me know.

-inDyWcBczEgAjO0ACs_0-ttqBRA8F_kSII79qhxNJ74Eey87PKx8T_8TXZXf0KJ9Sj9A_c3gAFAXb1jRYq-FOXoJf0MjutB0Rans18P9-B3oVfgtKrym49G_9EfCrZ3Mh5m0bkAMYe9rOOq98wfnzASbQjcJxccTsprg8Juybg9v0EVbCQ4s3k19phafpD4WVjGK869YRmSRa78EU918yyQjVIwoqId6M8swNAbIcNl7nYo-u-YsduCKX3iXuHInRdMIBfFpIhJDQRBWsWUmgcdLt_Lw7AwZLy0NCaNPSCBH4X8AA6wtji3IP9R_FGV89fUiUbSqRb19Y0siVIy7UPjWwbuN6CTfNirQb2RYfeIo4IE-yzNxD3SBfoxSo0W5CYiED6HqT1ZMKWX8AfmTMfOMVxGYPolpA6fhykRGtte80qsqNugoikoaLf7AhCf0Mt9LLbDDJaA0bYoQpq4kxBHgFrfIhOr7gpGionUnj0jAKzjx_jOcacW8RsOGh1B29yFup1bySQOnhQi2e-dLjpi7qWBXTBUadK9_Qa2n_Z5ympiP8EKw58rrdsXj2KZPXZoydeGy5_N0tQVo4OFWFdyxQ2DHbpognid-3iq_dK69AYLkB-ip40T9x2rZHefijnDTdROF2d2ja15D0SGlSYlXBBbXdOWVkqnvk9_yiH_av8A3qAXCEgQlCQuCsvIyqNksw0wY72lbTzeeaF5x9BhAw=w595-h1288-no

Reactions: EtherealRemnant

EtherealRemnant

Another vote for the Spigen Tough Armor here.
Any idea why there are so many reviews on Amazon complaining about it not providing any protection for the edges of the device?
After the short period I've been using GSam Pro (two days), it estimates I have 6 hours 36 minutes SoT average. That's not stellar and is about half of what AccuBattery had estimated when I used to have it installed, but we'll see what GSam says after a week's use. I've also been fiddling again with some mods, plus something I installed must've caused excessive vibrations when I leave a notification active (because I want to get back to it later), so that could've eaten some excessive battery and I might have to track that down.

I've been sticking still to the 25%-75% battery as much as I've been able to. The only common exception is when I use Android Auto (wired) so it charges as long as I'm using it.

I'll report back in another five days, and then another week after that, and see how things progress. If there are any other stats/screenshots from GSam you want to see, just let me know.

-inDyWcBczEgAjO0ACs_0-ttqBRA8F_kSII79qhxNJ74Eey87PKx8T_8TXZXf0KJ9Sj9A_c3gAFAXb1jRYq-FOXoJf0MjutB0Rans18P9-B3oVfgtKrym49G_9EfCrZ3Mh5m0bkAMYe9rOOq98wfnzASbQjcJxccTsprg8Juybg9v0EVbCQ4s3k19phafpD4WVjGK869YRmSRa78EU918yyQjVIwoqId6M8swNAbIcNl7nYo-u-YsduCKX3iXuHInRdMIBfFpIhJDQRBWsWUmgcdLt_Lw7AwZLy0NCaNPSCBH4X8AA6wtji3IP9R_FGV89fUiUbSqRb19Y0siVIy7UPjWwbuN6CTfNirQb2RYfeIo4IE-yzNxD3SBfoxSo0W5CYiED6HqT1ZMKWX8AfmTMfOMVxGYPolpA6fhykRGtte80qsqNugoikoaLf7AhCf0Mt9LLbDDJaA0bYoQpq4kxBHgFrfIhOr7gpGionUnj0jAKzjx_jOcacW8RsOGh1B29yFup1bySQOnhQi2e-dLjpi7qWBXTBUadK9_Qa2n_Z5ympiP8EKw58rrdsXj2KZPXZoydeGy5_N0tQVo4OFWFdyxQ2DHbpognid-3iq_dK69AYLkB-ip40T9x2rZHefijnDTdROF2d2ja15D0SGlSYlXBBbXdOWVkqnvk9_yiH_av8A3qAXCEgQlCQuCsvIyqNksw0wY72lbTzeeaF5x9BhAw=w595-h1288-no
Oof, that's quite the poor battery performance for the battery size which is exactly what I was afraid of.

Are you using 5G much? I know that is a real battery killer for the inefficient modem in these things.

I will have to really keep researching this. My Pixel 3 XL does pretty well comparatively for its tiny 3430mAh battery.

Screenshot_20220119-141141.png
Thanks for the update, much appreciated!

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Any idea why there are so many reviews on Amazon complaining about it not providing any protection for the edges of the device?
Probably because they are not taking into consideration that it is the top and bottom edges that are raised high enough to protect the display. The lateral edges are not as high so it won't interfere with swiping from the edge.

I just watched a video of the Otterbox Defender Pro and its side edges were not as high as the top and bottom edges as well (although they appeared "ever so slightly" higher than on the Spigen Tough Armor). In fact, laying a ruler across the device (left-right) the guy couldn't even slide a piece of paper under it. The guy in the video complained about the lateral edges not being high either. So this design is very common among the protectors for this phone.

Top and bottom edges raised high so you can lay your phone face down without the surface touching the display, while the side edges lower to facilitate swiping from the edges.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Are you using 5G much? I know that is a real battery killer for the inefficient modem in these things.
I don't pay for 5G service, so no, not at all. The closest I come is AT&T's faux-5G "5G E", which is more like 4G "E" (Enhanced), as it's better than 4G but not as good as 5G, and it definitely isn't really 5G. It's been rare that I've been in an area that has that, however. About once per month, give or take.

I will have to really keep researching this. My Pixel 3 XL does pretty well comparatively for its tiny 3430mAh battery.
Thanks for the update, much appreciated!
:) Good luck in your research. You're welcome and I'll get back to you again when GSam's statistics have more data.

After the next two iterations, if the stats haven't improved much, I might institute an Automate script (I like writing my own) to do like some others do with Tasker - turn WiFi off automatically when I'm not home, and turn Mobile Data off when I am home, and see what that does to the numbers.

For posterity's sake, this has been on the January update but with the December Play System update.

Top and bottom edges raised high so you can lay your phone face down without the surface touching the display, while the side edges lower to facilitate swiping from the edges.
Those darn curved displays. Oh well.

EtherealRemnant

Probably because they are not taking into consideration that it is the top and bottom edges that are raised high enough to protect the display. The lateral edges are not as high so it won't interfere with swiping from the edge.

I just watched a video of the Otterbox Defender Pro and its side edges were not as high as the top and bottom edges as well (although they appeared "ever so slightly" higher than on the Spigen Tough Armor). In fact, laying a ruler across the device (left-right) the guy couldn't even slide a piece of paper under it. The guy in the video complained about the lateral edges not being high either. So this design is very common among the protectors for this phone.

Yeah definitely doesn't really sound worthy of the name "Tough Armor" since that means if you drop it from an angle, you can crack the screen. I can see why people complain but I also see why they would design it like that. Just sounds like edge displays are as much a headache as I was imagining them to be.

I don't pay for 5G service, so no, not at all. The closest I come is AT&T's faux-5G "5G E", which is more like 4G "E" (Enhanced), as it's better than 4G but not as good as 5G, and it definitely isn't really 5G. It's been rare that I've been in an area that has that, however. About once per month, give or take.

:) Good luck in your research. You're welcome and I'll get back to you again when GSam's statistics have more data.

After the next two iterations, if the stats haven't improved much, I might institute an Automate script (I like writing my own) to do like some others do with Tasker - turn WiFi off automatically when I'm not home, and turn Mobile Data off when I am home, and see what that does to the numbers.

For posterity's sake, this has been on the January update but with the December Play System update.
Yeah 5G E = LTE with carrier aggregation. Stupid AT&T with their marketing shenanigans.

See, I am trying to avoid having to do any of that stuff to get good battery. The only thing I have done with my Pixel 3 XL is turn brightness to around 33% and turn on data saver. I haven't tweaked it for battery performance otherwise. I may just have to get one and see what my usage pulls from it. Realistically this Pixel 3 XL is just not enough for me, I'm getting fed up with being unable to multitask because of the RAM being so low, so I'm going to have to either get a 6/6 Pro or do what I said I would never do and buy a Samsung. I definitely can't put up with this thing until the fall when the 7 should be out.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Yeah definitely doesn't really sound worthy of the name "Tough Armor" since that means if you drop it from an angle, you can crack the screen. I can see why people complain but I also see why they would design it like that. Just sounds like edge displays are as much a headache as I was imagining them to be.
Well, that depends. If you drop it from an angle onto a flat surface it's still protected because the top and bottom raised edges go all the way to the corners. On a flat surface there is literally no angle I can put my phone at where the display will be touching the surface.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
So I have been seeing that the January update seems to have fixed a lot of issues and that it may be worth buying a 6 or 6 Pro now.

The 6 Pro's size and feature set are much more applicable to me (I have a 12 Pro Max and I'm using a Pixel 3 XL right now and I want to go back to a larger phone plus I would prefer the 12GB of RAM and 120hz display) but I'm nervous about the curved screen. I have been reading case reviews and it seems like it's rare for a rugged case (I always put Spigen Tough Armor cases on all my phones) that actually fits right (Spigen apparently doesn't).

Has anyone found one that's actually good? I think curved edges have to be the stupidest decision Google made besides teaming up with Samsung for the SoC (or at least they should have used a Qualcomm modem) but if I can get a rugged case that protects as well as a flat screen would be protected and does it without impeding the use of the screen beyond the typical pain when trying to copy and paste near the edges (man Android needs to figure that out, Apple does it miles better), I'll probably get a 6 Pro next month. Otherwise I'll just settle on the 6 or wait for the 7.

I be more nervous about the variable rate displays than the curved screen. The other issue is number of that model released. The more that are in use, the greater the case selection, more or less.

Phones with little bezel protection need a case or they will get destroyed. A good case should have side display guards slightly higher than the display while the top/bottom ones should be even higher to protect from face plants.
Those guards also help prevent accidental touches, make the phone more usable and easier to hold.
The case should be able to soak up repeated corner hits and face plants onto concrete from 2-4 feet without damage. Not plywood, concrete.

The only issue I have with a curved display is when cutting/pasting near the edge occasionally.
Samsung makes better use of the curved area though by nesting apps there so it's not wasted space. I don't think Google does that although there may be 3rd party apps for it.
It's easier to keep clean, at least with case I'm using on my N10+'s. That surprised me.
I now prefer a curved display for viewing/using although it took some time to get there🤣

Biggest disadvantage is getting a screen protector that holds down well at the corners, less so at the curve portion. Hydrogel wet apply protectors work well and are relatively easy to apply ie Gorilla IQ Sheild is one brand. Without a screen protector it will get scratched... just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: EtherealRemnant

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
See, I am trying to avoid having to do any of that stuff to get good battery. The only thing I have done with my Pixel 3 XL is turn brightness to around 33% and turn on data saver. I haven't tweaked it for battery performance otherwise. I may just have to get one and see what my usage pulls from it. Realistically this Pixel 3 XL is just not enough for me, I'm getting fed up with being unable to multitask because of the RAM being so low, so I'm going to have to either get a 6/6 Pro or do what I said I would never do and buy a Samsung. I definitely can't put up with this thing until the fall when the 7 should be out.
I spent a lot of time active on my P6P especially the first month I had it, and I swear I was still only charging it once every about 24 hours, and only then the previously mentioned 25-75%. We'll see. Hopefully, the stats will improve. :D

EtherealRemnant

Well, that depends. If you drop it from an angle onto a flat surface it's still protected because the top and bottom raised edges go all the way to the corners. On a flat surface there is literally no angle I can put my phone at where the display will be touching the surface.
Hmm... I think I might have to actually go see it in person. I really hate going and dealing with stores with my anxiety but I may have to deal with it this time or just get the 6 and be done with it.
I be more nervous about the variable rate displays than the curved screen. The other issue is number of that model released. The more that are in use, the greater the case selection, more or less.

Phones with little bezel protection need a case or they will get destroyed. A good case should have side display guards slightly higher than the display while the top/bottom ones should be even higher to protect from face plants.
Those guards also help prevent accidental touches, make the phone more usable and easier to hold.
The case should be able to soak up repeated corner hits and face plants unto concrete from 2-4 feet without damage. Not plywood, concrete.

The only issue I have with a curved display is when cutting/pasting near the edge occasionally.
Samsung makes better use of the curved area though by nesting apps there so it's not wasted space. I don't think Google does that although there may be 3rd party apps for it.
It's easier to keep clean, at least with case I'm using on my N10+'s. That surprised me.
I now prefer a curved display for viewing/using although it took some time to get there🤣

Biggest disadvantage is getting a screen protector that holds down well at the corners, less so at the curve portion. Hydrogel wet apply protectors work well and are relatively easy to apply ie Gorilla IQ Sheild is one brand. Without a screen protector it will get scratched... just a matter of time.
I'll disable the variable rate display. I don't have more than 60hz now so I won't miss shutting it off to have a consistent experience and better battery life.

I already have problems cutting and pasting near the edges with my 3 XL because the cause lip is too tall. That's one thing that Apple does much better with their space bar that turns into a trackpad implementation but I don't find myself copying and pasting often enough to be seriously annoyed.

I haven't used a screen protector since... wow, I don't even remember. HTC Hero maybe? I've never managed to seriously scratch a screen (my XS Max scratched really easily which was obnoxious but they weren't visible unless I was looking for them) and I've never managed to break one either (likely because I always choose rugged cases lol).

DGL2033

May 2, 2016
I used Encase for my LG V40 thin Q which had the rounded edge screen. With the holster option, it completely covers the screen. Slides in and out nicely. Raised edges enought to accommodate a screen protector if you like. I know they make one for the P6, but, I bought a similar case design that was better priced for my P6. I used tempered screen protectors, with fairly good results for 2 years. Seems screen protectors have improved some since the old days.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Hmm... I think I might have to actually go see it in person. I really hate going and dealing with stores with my anxiety but I may have to deal with it this time or just get the 6 and be done with it.

I'll disable the variable rate display. I don't have more than 60hz now so I won't miss shutting it off to have a consistent experience and better battery life.

I already have problems cutting and pasting near the edges with my 3 XL because the cause lip is too tall. That's one thing that Apple does much better with their space bar that turns into a trackpad implementation but I don't find myself copying and pasting often enough to be seriously annoyed.

I haven't used a screen protector since... wow, I don't even remember. HTC Hero maybe? I've never managed to seriously scratch a screen (my XS Max scratched really easily which was obnoxious but they weren't visible unless I was looking for them) and I've never managed to break one either (likely because I always choose rugged cases lol).

One of the problems with variable rate displays is color rendering and white point balance. If you aren't going to use the variable refresh rate feature there are older flagship phones who's color rendering exceeds all or most of the newer phones. If 5G isn't a selling point than an older flagship be cheaper and may serve you better.

If you're coming from Apple, Android's come in many flavors. Samsung's have one of the most customizable UI's. I recently bought my second new Note 10+ because color rendering or lack of is important and very obvious to me. Having an SD card is mandatory for me, yes you can have a dual drive handheld with up to 1.5tb of storage.
The spen is also very useful with Smart Capture and bt remote shutter release. I rejected the Note 20U in part because of its variable rate display.
This site has detailed reviews of both Android and Apple displays. The P6 Pro has not been reviewed yet. Avoid Samsung Fold technology as it is not mature.

You should view and handle these phones in person as they can be quit different than they appear to be in images. Personally I loathe rounded display corners but the difference was striking once I saw the phones side by side.

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011

I don't know to be honest, it is one of the bulkiest cases you can buy and it is the same thickness all the way around. The sides of the case are level with the flat part of the screen not the bottom of the curve of the screen if that makes sense and the ends are raised up for if you want to place the phone face down. The other cases i have looked at and tried have the case sitting at the bottom of the curve with all the curved part of the screen exposed.

It really doesn't matter what case on what phone you have if you drop it screen down does it, it then becomes luck of the draw.

This is the edge profile of a standard case and the Tough Armor

Attachments

• PXL_20220120_083901516.jpg
    PXL_20220120_083901516.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    +1 OtterBox Defender every time
    I posted in another thread about this case, but the Crave Clear Guard is the one I currently use. It actually protects the sides a pretty decent amount. Here are some pics.
    Another vote for the Spigen Tough Armor here.
    So I have been seeing that the January update seems to have fixed a lot of issues and that it may be worth buying a 6 or 6 Pro now.

The 6 Pro's size and feature set are much more applicable to me (I have a 12 Pro Max and I'm using a Pixel 3 XL right now and I want to go back to a larger phone plus I would prefer the 12GB of RAM and 120hz display) but I'm nervous about the curved screen. I have been reading case reviews and it seems like it's rare for a rugged case (I always put Spigen Tough Armor cases on all my phones) that actually fits right (Spigen apparently doesn't).

Has anyone found one that's actually good? I think curved edges have to be the stupidest decision Google made besides teaming up with Samsung for the SoC (or at least they should have used a Qualcomm modem) but if I can get a rugged case that protects as well as a flat screen would be protected and does it without impeding the use of the screen beyond the typical pain when trying to copy and paste near the edges (man Android needs to figure that out, Apple does it miles better), I'll probably get a 6 Pro next month. Otherwise I'll just settle on the 6 or wait for the 7.
    Most cases do indeed not properly cover the curved portion, that is a design decision by the case manufacturers, since that would hamper with the swipe from the sides gesture system.

The big Otterbox cases are high enough to "properly" protect the entire screen. Smaller Spigen or Caseology cases are lowered on the sides.

I use a Spigen Tough Armor on the 6 Pro and it fits just fine. The top and bottom edges are raised high enough so that you can put your phone face down on a flat surface with no worries about the screen touching the surface. The lateral edges are not raised quite as high so as to no interfere with swiping, but still high enough to clear the edges of the display, just not the middle of the display (but that's where the higher-raised top & bottom edges come in to play so that the middle of the display is protected).

Also works fine with my Mowei TGSP.