• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Accessories Cases with hinge protection when closed ?

Search This thread

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
Anyone here tried both the Araree Aero Flex and the Spigen Tough Armour?

I'm looking for a decently grippy case with a hinge protector, and these two seem the best out there right now, but I'm curious which one is the thinner / lighterweight option (or if they're both basically the same)

I'm looking for a decently grippy case with a hinge protector, and these two seem the best out there right now, but I'm curious which one is the thinner / lighterweight option (or if they're both basically the same)

I stuck with the Spigen after it arrived, but can definitely say it would be the thicker of the two. The Aero Flex opted for a lifted track to store the hinge cover, while the Tough Armor made the entire case thicker. They are notoriously bulkier cases, more on par with the Otterbox Commuter.

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
I stuck with the Spigen after it arrived, but can definitely say it would be the thicker of the two. The Aero Flex opted for a lifted track to store the hinge cover, while the Tough Armor made the entire case thicker. They are notoriously bulkier cases, more on par with the Otterbox Commuter.

But is the thickest part of the aero, the same thickeness as the thickest part of the Spigen? Cos if so, then the spigen may be better if only because of the smoother looks...

Though I guess it would be heavier...

One thing I liked about the aero is the soft-finish which seems to be pretty good for grippiness, whats the spigen like? It looks shinier and so I'd expect it to be slippy

But is the thickest part of the aero, the same thickeness as the thickest part of the Spigen? Cos if so, then the spigen may be better if only because of the smoother looks...

Though I guess it would be heavier...

One thing I liked about the aero is the soft-finish which seems to be pretty good for grippiness, whats the spigen like? It looks shinier and so I'd expect it to be slippy

It's quite possible. The hinge cover on this one is decently thick. The back feels like very hard rubber. It's not like the Otterbox cases that use plastic. It definitely adds some weight. Not having both, I hope that's enough detail to compare with descriptions of the other one.

Puddingpanzer

Jul 21, 2007

i had both but not at the same time and use the aero flex for now... i ordered the tough armor first and decided to return it because of the overall bulkier look although you have a better protection of the front screen with that case. If i remember correctly there were not much differences in grip and weight between the two cases. Tough armor has adhesive tape inside while aero flex just snaps on the phone tightly... I went for the aero flex because of the thinner look.

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
i had both but not at the same time and use the aero flex for now... i ordered the tough armor first and decided to return it because of the overall bulkier look although you have a better protection of the front screen with that case. If i remember correctly there were not much differences in grip and weight between the two cases. Tough armor has adhesive tape inside while aero flex just snaps on the phone tightly... I went for the aero flex because of the thinner look.

Any regrets? Does the aero flex not slide around due to not having any adhesive?

chompx2

Dec 19, 2009
So Cal
Any regrets? Does the aero flex not slide around due to not having any adhesive?
The Araree Aero Flex should not slip if you open the phone with two hands. Holding the phone with your right hand and opening the phone with your left hand normally would have be fine unless your motion is pulling the top half away from the bottom half. If you flip the phone ala Captain Kirk, then there is a risk with the bottom case sliding.

D4rk4

Dec 25, 2008
The Araree Aero Flex should not slip if you open the phone with two hands. Holding the phone with your right hand and opening the phone with your left hand normally would have be fine unless your motion is pulling the top half away from the bottom half. If you flip the phone ala Captain Kirk, then there is a risk with the bottom case sliding.
Is it even possible to capt Kirk it? I haven't tried, worried of damaging it. I'd imagine you'd have to use some force to do it considering how stiff the hinge is.

chompx2

Dec 19, 2009
So Cal
Is it even possible to capt Kirk it? I haven't tried, worried of damaging it. I'd imagine you'd have to use some force to do it considering how stiff the hinge is.
Personally, I have not flipped the phone to open it. However, there were various YouTubers going crazy flipping this phone just like Captain Kirk. I figure that some of these phones were sent to them to review and they do not owe them. Since I paid for mine, I am not going to take a risk damaging it. The case is not glue to the phone. Flipping the phone violently might also runs a risk of the phone flying out of the case.

Reactions: D4rk4

Puddingpanzer

Jul 21, 2007
@Araree Aero Flex users: i discovered that my phone doesn't open completely with the case on... the display stays just a little bit angled, about 178-179 degree i guess, someone has the same problem?

@Araree Aero Flex users: i discovered that my phone doesn't open completely with the case on... the display stays just a little bit angled, about 178-179 degree i guess, someone has the same problem?

It's the same with almost all of the cases that have a hinge guard, Spigen included.

chompx2

Dec 19, 2009
So Cal
My Araree Aero Flex cased Flip 3 opens flat. I placed my Seagate External Portable HDD on its side using it as a straight edge on the opened phone. I cannot see any gaps underneath other than in the center, opposite the hinge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What i found so far:

Spigen Tough Armor
    UAG Civilian
    VRS Active
    Araree Aero Flex
    Araree Nukin 360
    Goospery ZFLP3
    Mercury Fard (same as Goospery)

I returned Tough Armor as i find it's too bulky for me... will give Araree and Goospery a try
    Whatever you do, stay away from that Samsung clear case with the ring. First case in my life that I had to read the user guide and search YouTube on how to install on phone.
    Two pieces of plastic, that hold the ring, has to fit perfectly between the case and the phone. If they are not align properly, the case will not fit the phone. And it's almost impossible to align that s**t. It has no adhesive to keep it in place.

I bought an Araree AERO Flex for my Flip 3 and it works fine. It was available on Amazon but became unavailable shortly after I got mine. It is not bulky and has hinge protection. Feels good in hand too. This case does not require any adhesive tape or pad. It just snaps onto the phone securely.
    Just check Amazon from time to time and it could be available again. Maybe it is out of stock due to popularity.
    20210901_171451.jpg
    20210901_171445.jpg
    20210901_171424.jpg
    20210901_171350.jpg
    I want something like the araree aeroflex but clear!
    Samsung make clear case with ring. I’ll be getting for free with my preordered Zflip 3, but I opted for VRS case.