Casting (Google) Photos in 4k with the new Chromecast?

Modest Max

Jan 14, 2021
Hi everyone!
After I found out that not only Chromecast 4k but also Sony Android TVs with Chromecast-Built-In would downscale every static content to FullHD or even 720p (to let the TV upscale this again) I wonder if maybe te new Chromecast (with Google TV) can cast Fotos to UHD TVs in adequate resolution. Haven't found anything on the net as well as herein.
Any other idea to cast from mobile android devices to a TV (not limited to android) in high tesolution is welcome of course.

Last edited:

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
There is no technical reason why it can't display high resolution images. My bet is that their stupid fancy slide transitions don't work well at high resolutions. Try using something BESIDES google photos. You probably shouldn't be using that software anyway, since it steals all your data and uploads it to google -- pretty creepy if you ask me, just imagine how you'd feel if somebody YOU KNOW had software on your phone that gave them access to all your data!

Modest Max

Jan 14, 2021
Google Photos is just the most prominent example, as one might expect that google products should work together.
And I am not aware of any other cloud based app that can cast photos via Chromecast. The only solution seems to be via the Photoguru-App, but this just works with FireTV and NVidia Shield and not with chomecast.
I am using Google Photos for certain purposes only, but rest assured that I'm on my way of finding a differend solution for this, too.