Cause & Possible Fixes for Whitescreen + D-Pad failures (a new thing to try)

alkizmo

May 3, 2007
First, it'd like to thank

MikeChannon
for pointing out something important that narrowed down my testing.

Now, onto the problem Symptoms :

- D-Pad, IE and Email buttons cease to work
- Screen fades to white or comes back from standby as white
- Display is slight disaligned to the side, 1mm of left appears on right side.
- Randomness in all above symptoms.

Cause : It is the D-Pad connector.

Yes, the D-Pad connection DOES cause the whitescreen. It's odd and illogical, but this is the conclusion I have reached.

ALL the previous guides, such as sliding plastic between the screen and casing, were randomly moving things inside.

By CHANCE ONLY it'd affect the D-Pad connector positively. That is why such solutions only worked for a few people temporarely.

SOLUTION :

You will need to try variants of the following things :

- Tightness of the screws over the connector
- Disconnecting the plug and reconnecting it very carefully
- Pressure over the bibbon between the D-Pad connector and the screen.
- Pressure over the D-Pad connector itself
- Tightness of the screws over the D-Pad PCD
- Tightness of the screws closing the plastic casing of this part of the phone

To stress-test the variants, I ran a D-Pad intensive game (Skyforce) for 30 minutes or until the symptoms came back.

I've played around with all those, giving mixed results, but definitively making a difference.

My final and best result was by putting a thin foam piece over the blue parts in the picture below. (Ignore the red circles, original picture is taken from a website)

The foam I used was the typical foam sheets you find in packaging for fragile electronics such as motherboards, hard drives, graphic cards etc. It has to be super thing in other to close the casing without buldges.

There isn't a specific thing you can do that will make your D-Pad be reliable and the whitescreen to go away. You'll have to do several tests, so I recommend you keep your phone disassembled while testing. The connector is VERY VERY SENSITIVE. That is why I cannot be any more precise in how to fix this. However, you NOW KNOW what causes the screen to freak out and buttons to stop working.

What I did for testing :

I have tested my phone while it was completely disassembled. Meaning I had the back of the monitor open, as seen in the picture above.

That way, I could fiddle around and instantly test the result.

I've fiddle with the cables, the screen pressure, everything. Nothing returned the screen from being white or becoming white.

Putting pressure D-Pad connector's ribbon or actual pin caused the screen to either turn on white, or fade to white. (Results often noticed only after going in & out of standby)

It also caused my D-Pad buttons and the top 2 buttons (IE & Email) to either work or not work.

Last edited:

alkizmo

May 3, 2007
Oh and this is my testing setup. Elastic band to hold the battery in place, everything else opened. However, I had to place/remove the backcover of the screen part of the phone to test as it affects the pressure put on the connector.

alkizmo

May 3, 2007
wow. I don't have balls to break apart my 8525 like that.
Well this fix is for those who got a big enough problem and can't return it under warranty.

Anyhow, taking apart the TyTN is quite simple, and the thing is sturdy.

Only and only the D-Pad connector is tricky. The big ribbon connecting the two halfs of the phone is quite solid and never caused problems.

jwagman1

May 21, 2007
guys... what/where can i get the screw driver to open this mofo... it looks like a hex allen wrench but that doesnt work...

i have had this issue for months now and will try anything to fix it but i need to know where i can get this screw driver and fast!!!!

Vasichko

Jul 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
So it is a problem with the connector itself or cause by flex in the cable?

Also, where are you putty pressure on the connector? Are you saying if the screws are too tight this is a problem as well.

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
guys... what/where can i get the screw driver to open this mofo... it looks like a hex allen wrench but that doesnt work...

i have had this issue for months now and will try anything to fix it but i need to know where i can get this screw driver and fast!!!!

It's a TORX No6 screwdriver you need. Available online or from stores like Maplin who sell Phone screwdriver sets.

Check out links in the Wiki here or in my signature for internal pics, dismantling guides and to download the service manual (that also has a dismantling walkthrough)

Mike

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
So it is a problem with the connector itself or cause by flex in the cable?

Also, where are you putty pressure on the connector? Are you saying if the screws are too tight this is a problem as well.
Seems to me there may be a bit of trial and error regarding the fix. The service manual points out that the d-pad connector must be precisely inserted and absolutely level. So both under-tightening the screws or over-tightening could distort the connection. If you have it apart, take out and reconnect the push in connector several times This helps to ensure there is no oxidisation on the contacts.

(PS. this is not my fix so I cannot testify that it will work for you, though I believe it is on the right track, at least for some cases of this problem)

Mike

marciton

Feb 10, 2006
It's really intersting to know I'm not alone to have this issue ...
Do you have a site who describe how to open the Hermes ?

Thanks

jwagman1

May 21, 2007
It's a TORX No6 screwdriver you need. Available online or from stores like Maplin who sell Phone screwdriver sets.

Check out links in the Wiki here or in my signature for internal pics, dismantling guides and to download the service manual (that also has a dismantling walkthrough)

Mike
THANK YOU!! amazon.com overnight!!! woooo

Vasichko

Jul 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
I tried this diy.

I didnt have a small enough phillips to remove the screws from the connector on the D-Pad.

Know where I can get one?

So I took all the connections, put some automotive electronic connection cleaner on a q-tip and cleaned all of the other ones.

I used some automotive light double sided adhesive that you can get at Auto Zone instead of form. I only used 1 side of the adhesive and didnt peal the other side off, if it doesnt work, its easily removeable, just wanted to make sure it stays in place when I re-assemble the phone.

I also added some in a place you didnt which I show in yellow on your photo.

So far so good after 5 minutes.

Attachments

Miguel-

May 26, 2006
Mine PDA was also totally disassembled and atleast in my device the problem wasn't a faulty connector.. I had the front panel off and when I squeezed the Xilinx fpga-chip(black square on d-pad circuitboard) the the screen worked fine -when i took my fingers off it faded back to white. Earlier I also tried re-soldering the connector but it didnt work on my device.

RaptorGuy

Aug 7, 2007
Hermes / TyTn / 8525 White Screen

Hey guy,

Nice write-up.

Good that someone has taken the time to experiment with different procedures.

I gave up on mine, after taking it apart time and time again.

-Reseating the cables and completely disassembling the unit was a tempereary fix, so I sold it on eBay for a parts / repair.

I just purchased another on eBay.

This time, instead of getting worked up about the white screen of death, I had purchased a warranty from www.squaretrade.com.

I am not an AT&T customer, so I unlocked the phone.
Neither AT&T or HTC can help when you dont have their service , or it's a branded phone.

Keep up the good work.

Vasichko

Jul 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
So far since my post before lunch today. No problems at all.

It used to white out when taking a picture with the camera, randomly when sliding out the keyboard, randomly when using the D-Pad.

No problems at all today after doing this fix posted here and adding the extra pad that I did.

Vasichko

Jul 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
Just giving another update. So far so good, no problems at all.

DPad no longer has the issue of not working here and there.

White screen issues appear to be gone.

Hopefully for good.

I will still post updates so you all can know the status.

Thx again for the right up. I will post some pics of the type of tape I used as well.

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
I have the rest of december left on my warranty. Do you guys think PPCtechs will know how to fix this? i don't want to send it to them and have it sent back with the same probs (like they did last time i sent it in to get my scroll wheel and camera lense repaired).

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Mine PDA was also totally disassembled and atleast in my device the problem wasn't a faulty connector.. I had the front panel off and when I squeezed the Xilinx fpga-chip(black square on d-pad circuitboard) the the screen worked fine -when i took my fingers off it faded back to white. Earlier I also tried re-soldering the connector but it didnt work on my device.
Yes indeed, re-aligning and reconnecting the connector works for many but will not work for all. There are, as you say instances where it is a chip connection that's at fault. There is little if anything you can do with that problem other than board replacement unless you have the correct tools - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=1724236&postcount=66

Mike

Last edited:

Vasichko

Jul 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
It looks to be a design flaw. I dropped my maybe 3ft on the carpet yesterday and got the white screen issue. I took apart and looked at the connector in question. Even with it screwed in you can unplug it half way. So I added some more padding.

I think part of the problem is that coming from the back of the LCD to the DPad board or whatever you call it, the angle of the ribbon cable declines.