General Caution Xperia 1 IV USA version XQ-CT62 bootloader unlock not allowed!

Search This thread

Hurt Copain

May 6, 2022
Hey Hurt,

Usually with the Xperia phones, or at least with the 1 series, you do not need to unlock the bootloader to flash. It is just a matter of using a flashing tool, run a executable, and it does it's thing. Only thing for unlocking the bootloader is to root.

I spent time flashing roms for phones of all kinds, and yes, unlocking the bootloader was always part of the process. And cross flashing region, even hardware different phones is allowed (which is weird because it's a no no for other company phone models, which can lead to bricking). I flashed my Xperia 1 II from US to SEA firmware. And also crossflashed my CT72 HK to SEA with no issues.

So try to cross flash the firmware to an Asian firmware if you can or still willing.

XDA for Xperia 1 III guides helped me flash.
Thank you, what tool would you recommend? I only found the flash tool off the Sony dev site. I will need one for sure, returned the US variant and ordered the global one. Should be here in a few days

joeminati

Dec 23, 2009
I would say to just look over the the Xperia 1 II and the process found here:

However, I used this method found here:

I use the second one, the process (newflasher) and any firmwares from Xperifirm software tool.

From my observations from other phones to Sony Xperia 1's, its kind of hard to brick (not to say impossible).

Using the Sony Companion software on PC helps you officially restore the phones software if you need to restart back to square one. I have flashes many different region phones and had no issues. People have seen hardware issues like storage space, carrier issues with the Japan firmware though.

The one issue you may come across is that if you try to flash a region software that is older than another regions, newer software, it will not work. You may get a "Untrusted Device - Corruption" of something like that, but that's only because the firmware may be old. Reflashing the same firmware or using Sony Xperia Companion fixes that for you.

For newer models like the X 1 III, an additional step helped when bootlooping (set active:a command) found here:

Tried with the IV and saw no issues as well.

As always, read on and good luck.

Pointless816

Mar 6, 2009
Manhattan
Just tried using NewFlasher to flash to the HK firmware. Phone boots fine after that (though I don't think I can downgrade—trying to flash the SEA firmware gave a corruption error). About Phone confirms I am running the HK firmware.

Even after clearing data, and toggling the "Allow OEM Unlocking" off and on, bootloader is still unable to be unlocked—service menu still says "No," and fastboot still says the command isn't allowed.

I did find it interesting that with no internet connection and the data having been cleared, the phone still suggests US English as the language and a US timezone on first boot with HK firmware. Could mean it boots up with GPS enabled to guess what the user might want, or could mean there is something still picking up the phone as the US variant.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Reactions: jayarmstrong

joeminati

Dec 23, 2009
I also got that as well when I booted the Xperia 1 II in the HK version and SEA whereas it shows English by default. I can't say as well if it boots up in English due it being a world language. ???

But thank you for confirming that the US version, even after flashing, does not allow for unlocking bootloader which is weird because that is something that when a phone maker, like LG, works with a phone carrier, like Tmobile or Verizon, is told by the carrier to remove the unlocking tool by the carrier as part of the security process it appears.

But in this case, Sony is not working with any phone carriers on this release, nor is actually fully supporting some phone carrier features (Wifi calling, 5G, bands) yet still nerfs the phone with blocking the bootloader process on the US phones.

Oh Sony.

raven213

Apr 12, 2011
Just tried using NewFlasher to flash to the HK firmware. Phone boots fine after that (though I don't think I can downgrade—trying to flash the SEA firmware gave a corruption error). About Phone confirms I am running the HK firmware.

Even after clearing data, and toggling the "Allow OEM Unlocking" off and on, bootloader is still unable to be unlocked—service menu still says "No," and fastboot still says the command isn't allowed.

I did find it interesting that with no internet connection and the data having been cleared, the phone still suggests US English as the language and a US timezone on first boot with HK firmware. Could mean it boots up with GPS enabled to guess what the user might want, or could mean there is something still picking up the phone as the US variant.

Quick question are you able to signed up to Bravia core? On a different firmware? I'm on US version and according to them Bravia core isn't supported on our device I wanted to see if I flash a different firmware I'm able to signed up for it

raven213

Apr 12, 2011

Did you go back to US firmware? If so how?

Pointless816

Mar 6, 2009
Manhattan
@raven213 I assume Bravia Core would work similar to how the "Tidal 3 Months Free" thing works, and I did not see any app like that, nor was Bravia Core offered as an installable app during setup. So I don't think it works on the HK firmware at least. I'll double check the app list tomorrow though to see if there is a hidden app.

I haven't tried flashing back to US firmware yet. When I tried to flash the SEA firmware, which was an older firmware to what HK was at the time, I got a corruption error until I flashed back—I'm assuming that the US firmware would do the same, since it is even older. But, once the US is updated, hopefully flashing back will work.

I'm trying one last test tomorrow. I've toggled off "enable unlock" in Developer Options, then I'm going to flash the SEA firmware (since it is now up-to-date with the HK firmware it should work without issue) while clearing user data. I noticed that the unlock toggle stayed enabled last time, even though I cleared the data, so maybe some partition was left untouched. Rather doubt it will work, but worth a go.

raven213

Apr 12, 2011
@raven213 I assume Bravia Core would work similar to how the "Tidal 3 Months Free" thing works, and I did not see any app like that, nor was Bravia Core offered as an installable app during setup. So I don't think it works on the HK firmware at least. I'll double check the app list tomorrow though to see if there is a hidden app.

I haven't tried flashing back to US firmware yet. When I tried to flash the SEA firmware, which was an older firmware to what HK was at the time, I got a corruption error until I flashed back—I'm assuming that the US firmware would do the same, since it is even older. But, once the US is updated, hopefully flashing back will work.

I'm trying one last test tomorrow. I've toggled off "enable unlock" in Developer Options, then I'm going to flash the SEA firmware (since it is now up-to-date with the HK firmware it should work without issue) while clearing user data. I noticed that the unlock toggle stayed enabled last time, even though I cleared the data, so maybe some partition was left untouched. Rather doubt it will work, but worth a go.
Thanks for the update. keep us posted hopefully there is a way for us to root

Hurt Copain

May 6, 2022
I also got that as well when I booted the Xperia 1 II in the HK version and SEA whereas it shows English by default. I can't say as well if it boots up in English due it being a world language. ???

But thank you for confirming that the US version, even after flashing, does not allow for unlocking bootloader which is weird because that is something that when a phone maker, like LG, works with a phone carrier, like Tmobile or Verizon, is told by the carrier to remove the unlocking tool by the carrier as part of the security process it appears.

But in this case, Sony is not working with any phone carriers on this release, nor is actually fully supporting some phone carrier features (Wifi calling, 5G, bands) yet still nerfs the phone with blocking the bootloader process on the US phones.

Oh Sony.
Thanks for the insight on flash tools. I cannot unlock the bootloader. I returned and got the '72 global version arriving tomorrow..can't wait!

Hurt Copain

May 6, 2022

Oh Sony.
with the flasher tool, how can i add xperia 1 IV to the list? I tried importing the firmware under a different device and it fails

Hurt Copain

May 6, 2022
All is working, please disregard my previous comment, flashed global 72' variant with US firmware. Had no service whatsoever. Flashed over to HK, all is working. Can we flash a lower firmware if the bootloader is unlocked and we wipe?

joeminati

Dec 23, 2009
Interesting.

How did you flash? Which method?

Did you take the phone out of the box and immediately flash? Or did you boot it up, ran updates and then flashed?

Hurt Copain

May 6, 2022
Interesting.

How did you flash? Which method?

Did you take the phone out of the box and immediately flash? Or did you boot it up, ran updates and then flashed?
i used newflasher. popped in sim, Unlocked bootloader first, no updates at all. then flashed US. No service at all, I got basic lte kinda. Had service not available notifications. From there, flashed HK latest, got lte back proper. Then SEA, same service. Could not get any 5G. Used the slow poke companion tool, booted up, 5G everywhere, unlocked bootloader, flashed kirisakura, and am enjoying. Beginning to get trees ready for building.

Reactions: Mpeins

raven213

Apr 12, 2011
i used newflasher. popped in sim, Unlocked bootloader first, no updates at all. then flashed US. No service at all, I got basic lte kinda. Had service not available notifications. From there, flashed HK latest, got lte back proper. Then SEA, same service. Could not get any 5G. Used the slow poke companion tool, booted up, 5G everywhere, unlocked bootloader, flashed kirisakura, and am enjoying. Beginning to get trees ready for building.
Can I ask which provider you have? That you are getting 5g? Also which version did you buy? Thanks

Mpeins

Jun 5, 2014
I received my IV on Wed, and love the phone, I did use the IV global version and I was able to unlock the bootloader and root, mostly I did that so I could use Repainter App to change the UI colors, and fonts, and I checked the service menu on mine and says the bootloader isn`t allowed to be unlocked, i still got the code from Sony website and tried it and said it Failed and isn`t allowed, so I`m talking to Sony chat right now, to figure out if this will ever be allowed, see below is what sony told me, I hate to retun it, but I think I`ll return and wait and see if it ever becomes allowed.

Based on the details that function is not available due to security reasons and at the moment we don't have any news about an update that may enable that option
let me get this right, which one has an unlockable bootloader the us version or the European/asian version thanks

Mpeins

Jun 5, 2014
thats good news , i am getting mine tomorrow global version. definitely will follow your progress in your builds and hopefully a functional kernel good luck mate.

Reactions: Hurt Copain

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Signal is great. No issues. Actually I had the same speeds on the US model, 100mbps-400 depending on the area. I have not see anything about bravia core. Will look into that and see.
    That`s good, in my area we only have the 71 band for real 5G, and my CT72 would show 5G, but I could only get 20mb download, but when I had the CT62 that actually had the 71 band, I was able to have download speeds of 250mb,
    there is no "global" version, 62 for US, 72 for Asia, 54 for Europe. And some carrier versions for Japan.
    Oh no that's no good. I'm in ohio and typically have 5G UC on my Raven and rn on the us variant I'm pulling similar speeds. I checked bands on that international and it was only missing a lesser used one, band 41. Unless I'm mistaken..thanks for the insight though!
    this is from gsmarena, I`m not sure how accurate it is

5G bands1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 - Europe
    1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave - USA
    1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA/Sub6 - Asia
    I would say to just look over the the Xperia 1 II and the process found here:

However, I used this method found here:

I use the second one, the process (newflasher) and any firmwares from Xperifirm software tool.

From my observations from other phones to Sony Xperia 1's, its kind of hard to brick (not to say impossible).

Using the Sony Companion software on PC helps you officially restore the phones software if you need to restart back to square one. I have flashes many different region phones and had no issues. People have seen hardware issues like storage space, carrier issues with the Japan firmware though.

The one issue you may come across is that if you try to flash a region software that is older than another regions, newer software, it will not work. You may get a "Untrusted Device - Corruption" of something like that, but that's only because the firmware may be old. Reflashing the same firmware or using Sony Xperia Companion fixes that for you.

For newer models like the X 1 III, an additional step helped when bootlooping (set active:a command) found here:

Tried with the IV and saw no issues as well.

As always, read on and good luck.
    Hey I have a North American variant, XQ-CT62/B and same situation I can't unlock, says not allowed. I build roms. I can't with this. Amazing phone though. Returning and buying the European or Asian variant for bootloader unlock. Only missing a lesser used by my carrier (T-Mobile) band on both..the big bands 71,77 are there.. XQ-CT72 is Asia and XQ-CT54 European.. found on Amazon for around 8-900$ only 256 but who cares....
    yeah I bought the CT72 first and loved it, so I figured since the Asia model allowed bootloader unlock, so I figured the USA version would, just really sucks the USA version doesn`t. I hate the flat dull stock colors for the UI, so I like to root and use RePainter app and change the colors and use root to change fonts and etc. so much for Sony being developer friendly in the USA, but yeah in my area on Googfi that uses T-mobile towers, 5g here uses the N71 band and when I had the CT62 I was on the N71 band and was able to have 234 mb down load speed which was faster than my pixel 6 Pro, but right now I hope for future update that would allow it, for 1600.00 that's no go for me, GoogleFI had deal going on for existing customers, if I bought S22 Ultra I would get 400.00 off, so I ordered a S22 Ultra green 256gb, so I will have that coming Tuesday, and I still have my 6 Pro I`m using at the moment That I`m using and its rooted, then I actually have another Xperia 1 IV Purple coming Thursday 29th, I had ordered it and forgot to cancel the order and shipped, so I figured I do comparison of the Camera`s with the 6P,S22U and the IV and other features, I have had the S22U before and Samsung allows lot of customization with out root, but the size of the IV is the prefect fit. Time will tell.