• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Cell Coverage Terrible

Search This thread

ycats

Feb 27, 2007
Nolensville, Tennessee
The couple of times where I lost signal, it would not switch to roaming. I'm a Sprint customer for 20 years, now T-Mobile. I brought up the issue with T-Mobile and they had me reset network connections.............but I will say that I have not been in another area where I drop signal, only happened on vacation labor day weekend.

Oct 20, 2021
The couple of times where I lost signal, it would not switch to roaming. I'm a Sprint customer for 20 years, now T-Mobile. I brought up the issue with T-Mobile and they had me reset network connections.............but I will say that I have not been in another area where I drop signal, only happened on vacation labor day weekend.
So, you don't know if the fix worked for you then, right? I don't know why there isn't a way to reset just the cell network connection instead of including WiFi and Bluetooth with it or else I would try it.

I've been with Sprint for 21 years, too, and never had a service issue until now.

Dominikm27

Mar 10, 2020
Anyone else have the problem of their cell signal suddenly and randomly (while sitting in one spot) go from full (or one less than full) bars to no service (x over empty bars) and back again? I am on T-mobile (via Sprint) and have had my Z Fold 3 since two days before release date. This problem has been happening for a while. I talked to Sprint, but am not going to erase all my Network Connections data because I have a lot of WiFi and Bluetooth devices set up that I need and it would be too time-consuming to redo it all. The solution was to clean the SIM card, but that did not fix the issue. My plan (unlimited everything with premium data from Sprint) definitely includes roaming for voice and data, so it should switch to roaming if the signal is lost, not just lose the signal.
I have exactly the same problem (T-Mobile, Poland). It has nothing to do with the network, it's a hardware (or software) problem.
Fold3 nonstop changes the categories of networks and transmitters (3G, LTE, 5G) and very often loses coverage at all.
Don't reset your network settings, it's no use, it's a waste of time. I did this twice and nothing helped. I also replaced the sim card.
As I also use the second network (PLAY) in dual sim, I know that the problem is identical in this case.
I am waiting for the latest update and if it does not help, I will send phone to repair or sell it.

Oct 20, 2021
I have exactly the same problem (T-Mobile, Poland). It has nothing to do with the network, it's a hardware (or software) problem.
Fold3 nonstop changes the categories of networks and transmitters (3G, LTE, 5G) and very often loses coverage at all.
Don't reset your network settings, it's no use, it's a waste of time. I did this twice and nothing helped. I also replaced the sim card.
As I also use the second network (PLAY) in dual sim, I know that the problem is identical in this case.
I am waiting for the latest update and if it does not help, I will send phone to repair or sell it.

Thanks for confirming that I don't have to do the network reset! So, your second network also does the same thing? We don't have dual SIM here in the States. I use Google Voice (VOIP) as my second number, and it is free so all the better.

I really hope this problem gets fixed with an update! How do we notify Samsung of the problem?

Anyone else have the problem of their cell signal suddenly and randomly (while sitting in one spot) go from full (or one less than full) bars to no service (x over empty bars) and back again? I am on T-mobile (via Sprint) and have had my Z Fold 3 since two days before release date. This problem has been happening for a while. I talked to Sprint, but am not going to erase all my Network Connections data because I have a lot of WiFi and Bluetooth devices set up that I need and it would be too time-consuming to redo it all. The solution was to clean the SIM card, but that did not fix the issue. My plan (unlimited everything with premium data from Sprint) definitely includes roaming for voice and data, so it should switch to roaming if the signal is lost, not just lose the signal.
I get that issue as well, but usually only at my house where I have a t-mobile signal booster. Phone acts really messy.

T-mobile is in the second stage of merging sprint customers over to t-mobile's full network. So that could be part of what you're experiencing

Oct 20, 2021
I get that issue as well, but usually only at my house where I have a t-mobile signal booster. Phone acts really messy.

T-mobile is in the second stage of merging sprint customers over to t-mobile's full network. So that could be part of what you're experiencing
I don't have a booster. Signal coverage is good here (4G for data except in certain areas where there is 5G) between full and one less than full bars. This is a T-mobile SIM, not Sprint, but my plan is still through Sprint.

Yeah, the whole switch to T-mobile antennas is why I had to buy a new phone this year, because my previous one would have stopped working in January when they shut the Sprint CDMA network down, otherwise money-wise with starting a new business and all, I was going to wait until next year to get a new phone. The Z Fold 3 is useful for my business, so I chose it instead of a non-flipping Samsung.

Nastrahl

Phone's signal "behavior" is quite strange, and it happened with my Note 20 U too:

When i first got the phone and on some part of the subway i must go through I lose signal completely for maybe 3 to 5 stations. If was OK because the area is probably not covered yet.

Still, after some times i don't lose it anymore and i highly doubt they put new antennas in the area

I also noticed that on some others areas.

Oct 20, 2021
Here's something interesting: my area is experiencing a multi-day power outage, and ever since the outage, I have not seen the issue of the signal suddenly going from full bars to no service and back. Obviously, I don't have WiFi right now, so am using only cell data, and must be in between towers because my driveway (charging devices in the car) and some parts of my second floor get 5G while others get an often-slow 4G signal. Before the outage, I never saw 5G here. One place I am getting 5G most of the time is laying on my bed, but once I put my phone on the nightstand right next to me, it goes to 4G. On the toilet is often 5G, but sometimes only 4G.

I do think that I previously tested if the problem happened when WiFi on my phone was off, and it did, so I don't think that's the problem. The cell signal wasn't lost whem the outage happened (I was using my phone at the time), so it wasn't like the towers were reset or something. However, I know in some areas the towers did go out because a friend had to drive ten miles to get a signal (not sure what carrier he has, but he has an iPhone) and he lives about a half-hour from here.

Does this give anyone ideas on what the problem could be caused by?

Here's something interesting: my area is experiencing a multi-day power outage, and ever since the outage, I have not seen the issue of the signal suddenly going from full bars to no service and back. Obviously, I don't have WiFi right now, so am using only cell data, and must be in between towers because my driveway (charging devices in the car) and some parts of my second floor get 5G while others get an often-slow 4G signal. Before the outage, I never saw 5G here. One place I am getting 5G most of the time is laying on my bed, but once I put my phone on the nightstand right next to me, it goes to 4G. On the toilet is often 5G, but sometimes only 4G.

I do think that I previously tested if the problem happened when WiFi on my phone was off, and it did, so I don't think that's the problem. The cell signal wasn't lost whem the outage happened (I was using my phone at the time), so it wasn't like the towers were reset or something. However, I know in some areas the towers did go out because a friend had to drive ten miles to get a signal (not sure what carrier he has, but he has an iPhone) and he lives about a half-hour from here.

Assuming you are getting high band, mmwave 5g is very prone to interference being 24+ghz. Think of how 5ghz from your router doesn't go near as far as 2.4ghz. So having power outages would remove a lot of the random signal interference that would cause it to not reach as far

Reactions: larsdennert

OJsakila

Mar 14, 2009
interesting... I just got off the phone with AT&T and had them mail me a new (5G) sim card for my z Fold 3. I have currently just swapped my sim card from my 2019 og Fold 1 into my new z Fold 3. I HAVE seen the 5G logo flash on the screen last night but the card doesn't say 5G and the og Fold 1 wasn't a 5G capable phone. At least the US version wasn't. I wonder if this new card will make any difference? I don't think I have any issues and 5G isn't really around here in Savannah, GA. At least that's what the 5g maps say...

interesting... I just got off the phone with AT&T and had them mail me a new (5G) sim card for my z Fold 3. I have currently just swapped my sim card from my 2019 og Fold 1 into my new z Fold 3. I HAVE seen the 5G logo flash on the screen last night but the card doesn't say 5G and the of Fold 1 wasn't a 5G capable phone. At least the US version wasn't. I wonder if this new card will make any difference? I don't think I have any issues and 5G isn't really around here in Savannah, GA. At least that's what the 5g maps say...
If you didn't have a 5g phone before, you have to upgrade to a 5g sim card in order to hold 5g. So you'd be correct, it will make a big difference

Oct 20, 2021
Assuming you are getting high band, mmwave 5g is very prone to interference being 24+ghz. Think of how 5ghz from your router doesn't go near as far as 2.4ghz. So having power outages would remove a lot of the random signal interference that would cause it to not reach as far
Makes sense. Any idea about what the cell reception on/off problem could be? We just got power back an hour ago (whew! I won't have to charge my devices in the car tonight!), but I haven't really watched to see if the issue reappears.

I'm having the same type of issues. T-mobile here in areas where I had solid 5G or LTE I either have no service or it flips to edge/lte/5g. Probably going to send it back at this point.
I'm in the same boat. Constantly getting no service when there clearly is service. I also frequently get slower 5g speeds in areas where I'm one of maybe 5 people who have a 5g phone... so they can't blame congestion. I transfered to Tmobile so I can't comment on service via my last phone the Note 20 Ultra.

OJsakila

Mar 14, 2009
Less than a week in with my new Fold 3 and quite happy. Not sure why others are getting poor call reception compared to their previous phones... Im on AT&T and in Savannah, GA. Not quite a metropolis but sizable enough. I dont see any difference in my reception. Always pretty solid around here and thats the case with my Fold 3.

Oct 20, 2021
Earlier this week, my phone suddenly dropped a call I was on, making the person think I hung up on him (once I called him back, I told him I'd never do that and explained that this phone has issues). The signal still does the random flipping to no service thing. It is really frustrating!

I tried to choose the cell service to connect to and still had the issue when specifically choosing the T-mobile tower. It would not connect to any other tower, including the Sprint one, and that's odd since I have unlimited roaming on my unlimited everything plan.

I saw on a Facebook T-mobile ad for the phone that I can't find again that someone commented they turned off two settings that were adaptive settings. One was the adaptive battery, and the other I'm not sure what. They then restarted their phone and it fixed the problem. Has anyone here tried that?

Reactions: Markeee

Dominikm27

Mar 10, 2020
Earlier this week, my phone suddenly dropped a call I was on, making the person think I hung up on him (once I called him back, I told him I'd never do that and explained that this phone has issues). The signal still does the random flipping to no service thing. It is really frustrating!

I tried to choose the cell service to connect to and still had the issue when specifically choosing the T-mobile tower. It would not connect to any other tower, including the Sprint one, and that's odd since I have unlimited roaming on my unlimited everything plan.

I saw on a Facebook T-mobile ad for the phone that I can't find again that someone commented they turned off two settings that were adaptive settings. One was the adaptive battery, and the other I'm not sure what. They then restarted their phone and it fixed the problem. Has anyone here tried that?

I was looking for some "adaptive" settings on the phone apart from the battery and nothing sensible that would be related to coverage problem, I did not find

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm on T-Mobile in the Metro Detroit area. Previous phone was a Note20 Ultra. The Z Fold3's signal reception is SIGNIFICANTLY better than that of the Note20 Ultra. Almost a night and day difference.
    That's what I noticed here too.

Thank you. Thats what I figured. Well, its on the way! :)

I was looking for some "adaptive" settings on the phone apart from the battery and nothing sensible that would be related to coverage problem, I did not find
    If they not fix it within next 1 or 2 updates I will start warranty requests until I'll get full refund.
    Spoke to a Verizon TS agent who said she is dealing with a LOT of folks with bad signals on their ZF3.

Asurion approved my claim and is sending me a new phone.
    Try to change your SIM. It helped me.
    AT&T in N Texas, from N20U to ZF3...Same. I get some network issues occasionally.
    You might need a new sim, I'm thinking about doing that myself.

My fold is also the unlocked from Sammy.
    New sim, install yourself, handle it like a stick of ram.
    ESD can damage it; very little built in out of circuit protection. Most phone store salespeople handle them extremely carelessly... you pay the price when it fails sometimes even months, years latter. Most sim cards fail because of previous ESD exposure just like ram sticks.
    AT&T in N Texas, from N20U to ZF3...Same. I get some network issues occasionally.
    You might need a new sim, I'm thinking about doing that myself.

My fold is also the unlocked from Sammy.