Question Cellular signal drops after December OTA update

Search This thread

0xkenny

Dec 15, 2021
BSV Big Blocks
I getting the same also it goes dead for like a few minutes every so often

3 times in like 45 minutes for me .. so is the best to roll back glad they have that website flash andriod web

mateusz3112

Aug 13, 2012
Just spoke to Google chat agent and literally she had no clue. Asked if I contacted my sim provider to check if that's not them. Then suggested sending it under warranty 😂 oh dear.

Reactions: Nimueh

chaimav

Aug 27, 2013
Has anyone figured out a common denominator? Build version, carrier, etc? Or is it just the luck of the draw?

For me this issue started 10 days before the update. all of a sudden I had drops and my screen off drain jumped from 0.4 to 1.5. this leads me to believe that the problem isn't on the update but rather on a play store package. I think this only happens to people with dual sim or maybe users that only use esim.

pemz82

Feb 11, 2014
Google Pixel 6
This issue is definately caused by the December update (or a part of it).
I received the update and instantly noticed that I no longer had signal while indoors at my home. My wife also had a Pixel 6 (on the same network both using a physical SIM) and has remained on the November build. Her signal has remained fine.

bartekb85

Sep 19, 2011
for me the same thing after the renovation in the buildings every now and then exclamation mark and no possibility of a phone call

mateusz3112

Aug 13, 2012
For me it's noticeable better today. Had no signal at all at home and today is much better. At the moment in have 3/4bar

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Done. Signal strength not changed.
I'm not surprised. There is no reason for that to work seeing it's a Google network/radio issue not a sim manager app issue. I'm always leery trying those homemade fixes that someone tried out on a friends phone. Also I don't believe it's the December update since it was happening on the November update as well, at least for me. The Verizon update page doesn't even have the Dec patch listed. I wonder if any carrier has jumped on the bandwagon or they held off, which is why no one is getting an OTA on Vzw or Att from what I can tell.

slovenec88

Nov 2, 2008
I'm not surprised. There is no reason for that to work seeing it's a Google network/radio issue not a sim manager app issue. I'm always leery trying those homemade fixes that someone tried out on a friends phone. Also I don't believe it's the December update since it was happening on the November update as well, at least for me. The Verizon update page doesn't even have the Dec patch listed. I wonder if any carrier has jumped on the bandwagon or they held off, which is why no one is getting an OTA on Vzw or Att from what I can tell.
It's definitely the December update. I'm the OP of the https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/210484323
Both me and my wife have Pixel 6, same operator. I stupidly sideloaded the A1 OTA (well you know, I have the flashing fever :) ), and after reboot I don't have network connectivity in the house (or I have low signal near the window). Even outside, sometimes I have no signal, while my wife's P6 on November patch has full signal most of the time.

No to be full of sh##, I decided to took a picture of both phones, side by side. Left one is mine, on dec update.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I guess if the world was going to definitely end tomorrow.
    People would still be worried about getting the January update.

Lol...
    No one would know. We have no cell service.
    @djoka60 @m-j-s I agree, this is not a solution long term nor is it acceptable that Google didn't fix this immediately. I was merely commenting on the blanket statement confirming this is not a solution. It does work for some and for some it did not. Thing is it is worth a try and "confirming" it doesn't work would preclude some from doing that. That point is now moot since they pulled the beta signup but you can download it on apkmirror last I heard. Not sure about that now. Even if, and I'm sure you're right, the majority of users are not experiencing increased signal it means that some are. I can confirm that. ;-)

Semantics aside this December update was a total disaster including some now deprecated (or disabled) major features of the Pixel phone service. It's almost 2 weeks now and not a real fix in sight. I'm not sure what they are thinking at this point. I almost wish I'd held onto my Pixel 5 now so I can wipe the smile off my wife's face as she twirls her P5.
    Of course she has no clue.. she's the lowest person on the totem pole, trained to answer questions like "where does my SIM card go in?"

If people want to get Google's attention go to the link @pemz82 provided https://issuetracker.google.com/u/1/issues/210484323 and star the issue.
    I just want to confirm that since the last Update the reception of the phone is much worse, There is a room at home where it can not be used any longer.

How to go back to the last update without deleting all Data?
    If your bootloader is unlocked you can simply flash the radio image from your previous version. If you're not unlocked then don't do it now since unlocking will wipe all your data!

Download the November factory image from here.
    Open it, unpack the radio-some.long.number.img and rename it to something shorter like radioNov.img
    Copy it to your adb/platform tools folder and flash it with fastboot flash radio radioNov.img

That's it - my P6 went from 0-1 bars with the December A1 update (and A4 was just as bad) back to 3-4 bars with the mid November 037 radio.img :cool:
    Frankly i don't understand why google are doing this. Ok it is new custom chipset and new software - bugs happen. It is normal. The way this should be handled though is much different than what we are seeing and it is pretty simple to do:

1. Stop the OTA update rollout immediately. Google did that more than week later and they also acknowledged the bug around the same time which for me was unsuccessful attempt to hide the problem.
    2. Publish news acknowledging the problem and remove the link to the OTA files so that people do not sideload the problematic update not knowing about the problem.
    3. Push update for the affected devices reverting the radio firmware to the november version till the problem is fixed.

If they did that people would be ok and give them needed time for proper fix in the january update. Instead of that thousands of their customers (looking at the issuetracker comments alone) are left for almost two weeks now during the hoilday season with flagship devices that can't even make phone calls properly and without any information when problem will be resolved. I myself was on vacation when december update was pushed and this saved me. I did not get OTA but i would have sideloaded it if i had access to pc and may have been in the same situation. I like to be early adopter and can wait for some bugs to be fixed as soon as at least the basic functions are working. This is why i was so excited to switch to google phone. Well it looks that i will think twice and research before updating in future.