Question Cellular signal drops after December OTA update

Search This thread
Jan 7, 2016
(uk based) just had an interaction with google support. They have now escalated up the chain as I am unable to get the correct Oct image using the Android flash tool. They said they will be in touch within 24 hours 🤞
🤞

leegreg81

Nov 25, 2014
Google Pixel 6
I web flashed the December factory image via Google directly then installed the Carrier Services beta apk from APKMirror, cleared its app storage and rebooted my device and haven't had any issues since.

leegreg81

Nov 25, 2014
Google Pixel 6
(uk based) just had an interaction with google support. They have now escalated up the chain as I am unable to get the correct Oct image using the Android flash tool. They said they will be in touch within 24 hours 🤞
🤞
When I attempted to flash any factory images older than December (after OTA updating to the latest update on my device) the bootloader tells me they're too old and refuses.

leegreg81

Nov 25, 2014
Google Pixel 6
Thanks for the info - i tried that and didnt make any difference - are you in the uk? which apk did u use please?
Yep.

UK Vodafone.

I also switched to an eSIM to see if that would make a difference.

It did not.

Here's the link to the apk...

(Remember to clear data on Carrier Services once installed).

Jan 7, 2016
Yep.

UK Vodafone.

I also switched to an eSIM to see if that would make a difference.

It did not.

Here's the link to the apk...

(Remember to clear data on Carrier Services once installed).

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately didn't help my issues.😭

ihk

Apr 11, 2013
just roll back to november guys its the only way.. and wait the late jan update and hope that they fix signal issues . i just did the same

arvylas

I think I'm the only one with this issue. I have great battery life and signal with 1 sim active. I have terrible battery life and signal with 2 sims active. I have tried everything . November radio, both latest carrier services and older from October but nothing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I guess if the world was going to definitely end tomorrow.
    People would still be worried about getting the January update.

Lol...
    No one would know. We have no cell service.
    @djoka60 @m-j-s I agree, this is not a solution long term nor is it acceptable that Google didn't fix this immediately. I was merely commenting on the blanket statement confirming this is not a solution. It does work for some and for some it did not. Thing is it is worth a try and "confirming" it doesn't work would preclude some from doing that. That point is now moot since they pulled the beta signup but you can download it on apkmirror last I heard. Not sure about that now. Even if, and I'm sure you're right, the majority of users are not experiencing increased signal it means that some are. I can confirm that. ;-)

Semantics aside this December update was a total disaster including some now deprecated (or disabled) major features of the Pixel phone service. It's almost 2 weeks now and not a real fix in sight. I'm not sure what they are thinking at this point. I almost wish I'd held onto my Pixel 5 now so I can wipe the smile off my wife's face as she twirls her P5.
    Of course she has no clue.. she's the lowest person on the totem pole, trained to answer questions like "where does my SIM card go in?"

If people want to get Google's attention go to the link @pemz82 provided https://issuetracker.google.com/u/1/issues/210484323 and star the issue.
    I just want to confirm that since the last Update the reception of the phone is much worse, There is a room at home where it can not be used any longer.

How to go back to the last update without deleting all Data?
    If your bootloader is unlocked you can simply flash the radio image from your previous version. If you're not unlocked then don't do it now since unlocking will wipe all your data!

Download the November factory image from here.
    Open it, unpack the radio-some.long.number.img and rename it to something shorter like radioNov.img
    Copy it to your adb/platform tools folder and flash it with fastboot flash radio radioNov.img

That's it - my P6 went from 0-1 bars with the December A1 update (and A4 was just as bad) back to 3-4 bars with the mid November 037 radio.img :cool:
    Frankly i don't understand why google are doing this. Ok it is new custom chipset and new software - bugs happen. It is normal. The way this should be handled though is much different than what we are seeing and it is pretty simple to do:

1. Stop the OTA update rollout immediately. Google did that more than week later and they also acknowledged the bug around the same time which for me was unsuccessful attempt to hide the problem.
    2. Publish news acknowledging the problem and remove the link to the OTA files so that people do not sideload the problematic update not knowing about the problem.
    3. Push update for the affected devices reverting the radio firmware to the november version till the problem is fixed.

If they did that people would be ok and give them needed time for proper fix in the january update. Instead of that thousands of their customers (looking at the issuetracker comments alone) are left for almost two weeks now during the hoilday season with flagship devices that can't even make phone calls properly and without any information when problem will be resolved. I myself was on vacation when december update was pushed and this saved me. I did not get OTA but i would have sideloaded it if i had access to pc and may have been in the same situation. I like to be early adopter and can wait for some bugs to be fixed as soon as at least the basic functions are working. This is why i was so excited to switch to google phone. Well it looks that i will think twice and research before updating in future.