• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Cellular Signal Not as good as other phones? 4g LTE/5g T-mobile

Search This thread

Ankurnmhs

Feb 10, 2018
I own two Samsung Galaxy a32 5G phones on T-Mobile. Prior to this I owned a pixel 3A, and also I own a LG Stylo 4. While using the Samsung GalaxyA32, one thing that I've noticed is that the signal pick up for the cellular service is not as good as the pixel or the LG Stylo 4. The pixel and the LG Stylo 4 utilize only the 4G LTE signal. This one obviously has the 4G LTE, and the 5G connection. What I'm noticing is that in places where there is low signal and able to make phone calls using the pixel 3A and also the LG Stylo 4 but I'm unable to do so with the Samsung Galaxy phone. Initially I thought it was just a problem maybe with the 5G, and the 5G switching over with to the 4G LTE, and during that network switch that could have led to drop calls. Therefore what I have done is change the mobile networks to only 4G LTE 3-g, 2G, connection. Even with that I am seeing that the pixel, and the LG Stylo for having a better connection with the 4G LTE and that of the Samsung Galaxy A 32. I do not believe it is a defective phone since I'm having the same issue with two of the phones. I've called T-Mobile before, and made sure that I have a latest SIM card, I've also done Network resets. And even Factory resets. I did not think that now was a time where different phones got better signals than others, like Nokia did back in the 90s. Is anyone else having a similar type of issue? I have been updating the software as it comes out as well. Otherwise its a good Free Phone....

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
The modem in the A32 is not that great. At my house I get around 6-10mbps over 5G while the recent OnePlus Nord N200 5G thats now free gets upwards of 40mbps which is on par with my other devices.

ISO_Joe

Jun 29, 2021
I also got this phone for free through T-Mobile by turning in my Moto Z2 and I am not so happy about... Sure it was 3 year old phone but at least it wasn't as cheap as this.

I'm not sure about mobile data being slower or worse than other 5G phones but It wouldn't surprise me at all.. The Wifi (chip?) they use I know for sure is cheap, as it doesn't work or connect with cameras I use for work remotely. It also disconnects from my home wifi or has poor range. My mom got the same phone with the trade in and same problems. I'm planning on selling it while it still has some value and going back to Motorola or even a google pixel.

I understand it being a budget phone but to cheap out one of the most important aspects of a phone is just bad.

no clue

Oct 20, 2008
Bellevue
I have both Oneplus N200 5G and Samsung A32 5G. Both on Tmobile and I have no issue with Samsung MTK chip, in fact, it out perform SD480 modem with 5G.
IMG_20210804_214139475.jpg

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
There's a big difference between signal strength and data transfer speed.
You can have good signal strength but poor transfer speeds, but not vice versa.

Try clearing the system cache and a network reset.

Reactions: galaxys

no clue

Oct 20, 2008
Bellevue
Tried again just now. Samsung a32 still get better result compare to oneplus n200.
Oh well..
Samsung is under a326usqu3auf7
Oneplus is under 11.0.1.5de18cb
IMG_20210805_163410845_HDR.jpg

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
All my A32's act the same in a rual area 5G unreliable etc etc data will stop working until airplane mode or disable 5G.. The OnePlus Nord N200, iPhone 12 Pro Max, OnePlus 8T,etc dont have that issue.

Also in some of your screenshots says XFINITY like you tested it over WiFi

no clue

Oct 20, 2008
Bellevue
All my A32's act the same in a rual area 5G unreliable etc etc data will stop working until airplane mode or disable 5G.. The OnePlus Nord N200, iPhone 12 Pro Max, OnePlus 8T,etc dont have that issue.

Also in some of your screenshots says XFINITY like you tested it over WiFi
LOL, you sound like I am providing fake testing. I am using N200 myself beause faster facial recognition. However, the fact remain that A32 is faster for me. Here is another shot while during the testing.

But, it is possible all depend on where user live? I am couple blocks away from T-mobile HQ in Bellevue WA.

BTW, I literally PM uninstall all t-mobile packages off both of my phones. why don't you do the speedtest between your N200 and A32 since you also have both, curious what is the different?
IMG_20210810_193106118.jpg

Last edited:

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
My issue is not just speed, its the point that the A32 will loose data randomly.

Example I put an A32 and N200 in the window facing my cloeset tower turn on hotspot let them sit there, within 30 min the A32 will drop the connection and or drop down to LTE while the N200 stays connected for days on end without issue. Granted I'm more rural but its the point the N200 holds on a consiant 30mbps while the A32 cant even maintain a connection. In city areas its fine.

financeledger

May 31, 2021
My issue is not just speed, its the point that the A32 will loose data randomly.

Example I put an A32 and N200 in the window facing my cloeset tower turn on hotspot let them sit there, within 30 min the A32 will drop the connection and or drop down to LTE while the N200 stays connected for days on end without issue. Granted I'm more rural but its the point the N200 holds on a consiant 30mbps while the A32 cant even maintain a connection. In city areas its fine.
i usb tether my a326u1 and it never drops, maybe you have a faulty one? maybe network depriorisation?

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
i usb tether my a326u1 and it never drops, maybe you have a faulty one? maybe network depriorisation?
USB tether same thing. Cant be faulty all 4 of them do this... If it was network depriorsation that would affect the N200 and OnePlus 8T as well which it doesnt. Granted the A32 works great in populated areas where signal is good, but rual areas it fails while others are still fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's a big difference between signal strength and data transfer speed.
    You can have good signal strength but poor transfer speeds, but not vice versa.

Try clearing the system cache and a network reset.
    This device built-in antenna or modem may not be the best for your T-Mobile LTE connections...