Cellular strength and throughput

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
We know how much you like to stream, ahem, "videos", and so cellular data is mega-important. Rate this thread to express how you think the Essential Phone's LTE performs. A higher rating indicates that it's fantastic: throughput is excellent and signal strength is top-notch.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add.

clint6

Oct 7, 2011
Not so good...

I get no cell coverage in my basement with this phone. Typically have 2 bars on my S8+. Sending a 4 word text message is hit or miss on delivery.

Update: Data reception is terrible on my device w/ Verizon. Cell and text service is poor as well.
Info:
-102 dB
43% cell signal strength
Speed Test on mobile:
624 ms ping
. 42 Mbs download
. 5 Mbs upload

Last edited:

-Michael_

Dec 27, 2009
Arizona
OnePlus 8T
On Verizon, better signal than my HTC 10 I switched from. Better signal than my wifes moto z force.

HD voice, VOLTE, verified HD voice and data worked simultaneously. No Wi-Fi calling on Verizon yet.

MrEous

Mar 24, 2008
DFW, TX
Using Speedtest app and Signal Strength app... Testing PH-1 vs OPO 5

PH-1...AT&T 109d 7u (dBm -109)
***wifi 90d 88u (dBm -58)
OPO 5...AT&T 134d 26u (dBm -100)
***wifi 91d 90u (dBm -44)

Last edited:
Reactions: &roid

frhoward

Jan 31, 2011
MetroPCS/Tmobile WIFI calling works magically. I never knew how muffled I sound when I was using my 6p. This is lightyears better.

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
Sprint is strong as ever. My 6P was really good and a U11 isn't bad, but this thing takes them both in signal strength, call quality, and this phone supports LTE+ which is just over double the LTE speed I was getting without the +.

Normal LTE speed at my place was around 3-4Mbit. With LTE+ its 10+. Can't complain.

Well I can a little. Tried to use the U11's Sim Card since the 6P's sim card isn't compatible they say, and well that has just led to a day of broken activation. I started out with working phone but not data, then after a reboot the phone tries hands free activation that never finishes. I reboot again and it skips that, update profile, and data works but not phone/sms. And no manner of reboot/activation/profile trickery seems to fix it.

So I am just going to see if I can pick up or get a Sim shipped tomorrow to get everything dialed in tomorrow.

Still, Data is sure fast when it's working. :)

qnc

Apr 27, 2007
I get no cell coverage in my basement with this phone. Typically have 2 bars on my S8+. Sending a 4 word text message is hit or miss on delivery.

Update: Data reception is terrible on my device w/ Verizon. Cell and text service is poor as well.
Info:
-102 dB
43% cell signal strength
Speed Test on mobile:
624 ms ping
. 42 Mbs download
. 5 Mbs upload

What general location are you in?
Metro area?
Suburb?
Country?

I travel to all these places very frequently and will need coverage. My Nexus 6 and 6P work well in all areas. with good speeds and want this phone to work at least just as well.

jtg11

Dec 23, 2010
In a fringe rural area of western Ohio and Galaxy S7 has better Verizon reception than my new PH-1. This is my lake house and is an issue. I had consistent weak coverage in my house with S7, and PH-1 is constantly going in and out as I walk through the house. Wifi calling not working with Verizon... At least not yet or I cannot figure out how to activate it. When I try and make calls, I get a message saying to activate wifi calling in order to make a call.

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
What it does for me at home... Switching back and forth with crappy service and no service lol
ae51e8426f363a95022d344070ab5746.jpg
026e8f43cef9ce5c94efbd4e9746b593.jpg

Ellises

Sep 19, 2008
twitter.com
For my first day and half of having this phone, cellular strength on Sprint has been terrible.

I came from my Nexus 6, with it at home I normally got full signal bars, with the Essential I'm only getting 1 bar (-121 dBm 99 asu) and it sometimes jumps down to 0.
Speed test at home I'm getting an average of a 68ms ping, 5.24Mbps down, and 2.20Mbps up. With the Nexus 6 I was getting around 10Mbps down.

Inside at work usually I got terrible service with the Nexus 6 staying at 1 bar 3G all the time, with the Essential it can't even connect inside the building.

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
Even after the recent update my MintSim Tmo still doesn't work well. My Xfinity Verizon works the same now or less. I did notice that whenever I put back the Tmo sim into my S8 I would get a update to install the configuration but I never get that when I use the same sim in the Essential phone. Not sure if that's the issue but i believe it's just APN settings which I copied from their site anyways.

Reactions: ins0mniac

EVOSerb

Jan 17, 2011
Chicago
Can't make a phone call. Signal completely goes off as if I put it in the airplane mode. Few seconds after I push end call button/hang up the signal comes back fully. Yesterday was working fine. I'm in Sprint (Chicago)

quadcrap1

Apr 25, 2008
So far...My PH-1 is a dog on Verizon. Places where I get low-bar-but-usable coverage with my other phones (Nexus 6, Droid Turbo), I have mostly unusable coverage with the PH-1 (occasionally connects, but often no bars).

I like the phone in theory, but if this doesn't get better, it's going back in the box.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    T-Mobile VoLTE and Wifi calling working here
    Urgh I'm experiencing the cellular disconnect when connecting and disconnecting from wifi now. It's not always happening but does happen at least once a day. Can't get cellular to connect back until I restarted.
    I don't have an essential but I noticed this with a few phones. Try it

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
    29bd8ebb5262d5c1165b8ea75ef1c5de.jpg
    For my first day and half of having this phone, cellular strength on Sprint has been terrible.

I came from my Nexus 6, with it at home I normally got full signal bars, with the Essential I'm only getting 1 bar (-121 dBm 99 asu) and it sometimes jumps down to 0.
    Speed test at home I'm getting an average of a 68ms ping, 5.24Mbps down, and 2.20Mbps up. With the Nexus 6 I was getting around 10Mbps down.

Inside at work usually I got terrible service with the Nexus 6 staying at 1 bar 3G all the time, with the Essential it can't even connect inside the building.
    Remember, bars are arbitrary. Try comparing dB level.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Using Speedtest app and Signal Strength app... Testing PH-1 vs OPO 5

PH-1...AT&T 109d 7u (dBm -109)
    ***wifi 90d 88u (dBm -58)
    OPO 5...AT&T 134d 26u (dBm -100)
    ***wifi 91d 90u (dBm -44)