• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

VictorRomano

Nov 19, 2012
The easiest way to root Galaxy Nexus

Works fine in Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM yakju 4.2.1.

Thanks a lot!!
Very easy and very helpful.
Certainly I'll consider in the future make a donation or buy a pro app.

Why there's no specific forum for the Galaxy Nexus?

Marlakai

Nov 21, 2011
Compatible with Korean devices?

I'm using a Korean version of the newly released Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE (SHV-E230L) and I'd like to know if the GT-N8020 file on your website is compatible with it.

If not, could you please support rooting on the said SHV-E230x models in future?

Many Koreans are grateful for your hard work and I'd like to thank you in advance as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: luvcustom138

mr_esmit

Nov 18, 2010
I have a GT2 10.1 (model T779/T-mobile) and have been all over the forum looking for a way to root (simple), but there is no CWM for my model tab which is (i think) why I cant get into recovery mode after flashing via ODIN. Quick newbie question(s):

- Is the CWM specific for each GT2 model??
- If so, who develops these CWM??

Sorry if this question does not belong here, but it seems to have very knowledgeable people posting. Thanks.

Marlakai

Nov 21, 2011
recovery.img for SHV-E230L

I've managed to root my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE (SHV-E230L) using your ExynosAbuse app.

Right after that, I extracted the recovery.img file using a terminal and then turned it into a .tar file for uploading here.

Please use the attached file for your Auto Root, thank you.

Attachments

• SHV_E230L_4.1.1_recovery.img.tar
    8 MB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu

buchholz

Dec 25, 2012
hello chainfire

if i get an ota update, i need to root again with cf-auto-root? or is my s3 still rooted after the ota update?

sorry for my english:D

Dec 10, 2012
Confused - Help please

I'm confused about something. The CF-Auto-Root Repository page says the following:

"UNLOCK BOOTLOADERS
If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device - with the exception of Nexus devices, which will usually automatically "OEM unlock" and wipe your data !"

Then it goes on to list the files for flashing; in my case for a T-Mobile Note 2 SGH-T889. So...how do I know if my one week old SGH-T889 has a locked bootloader, in which case flashing the listed file (CF-Auto-Root-t0ltetmo-t0ltetmo-sght889) would brick the phone according to the warning above? I'm new to rooting... but the CF-Auto-Root is for newbies it says. Thanks for some help.

Reactions: mrwest3r

Apicio

Dec 28, 2012
I'm confused about something. The CF-Auto-Root Repository page says the following:

"UNLOCK BOOTLOADERS
If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device - with the exception of Nexus devices, which will usually automatically "OEM unlock" and wipe your data !"

Then it goes on to list the files for flashing; in my case for a T-Mobile Note 2 SGH-T889. So...how do I know if my one week old SGH-T889 has a locked bootloader, in which case flashing the listed file (CF-Auto-Root-t0ltetmo-t0ltetmo-sght889) would brick the phone according to the warning above? I'm new to rooting... but the CF-Auto-Root is for newbies it says. Thanks for some help.

Up for this.

anon9727

Apr 1, 2006
Root and OTA updates

Thanks for a great way to gain root and have the phone as stock as possible. It was just what I was looking for. I do have a question about OTA updates. How do they work now that the phone is rooted. I noticed that when I go through the settings menu and click on software updates I get a message that tells me my device has been modified and software updates are not available. Will I have to use the Kies program to get all my updates now? If I wanted to reverse the root, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for all your help in advance

Samsung Galaxy S3 on T-Mobile

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
So...how do I know if my one week old SGH-T889 has a locked bootloader, in which case flashing the listed file (CF-Auto-Root-t0ltetmo-t0ltetmo-sght889) would brick the phone according to the warning above? I'm new to rooting... but the CF-Auto-Root is for newbies it says. Thanks for some help.

Only Samsung-based Verizon devices have locked bootloaders at the moment

Thanks for a great way to gain root and have the phone as stock as possible. It was just what I was looking for. I do have a question about OTA updates. How do they work now that the phone is rooted. I noticed that when I go through the settings menu and click on software updates I get a message that tells me my device has been modified and software updates are not available. Will I have to use the Kies program to get all my updates now? If I wanted to reverse the root, how would I go about doing that?

OTAs don't work at the moment when rooted. You can unroot from SuperSU settings.

urayy1

Jun 3, 2012
SHV-E140K

A total newbie.

I need to know what you need from me in order to root SHV-E140K (Samsung 8.9 LTE from KT).

You posted:

To be able to make CF-Auto-Root for a device:

- The device needs to have (and use) separate kernel and recovery partitions
- The kernel and recovery format must be the boot.img standard (no zImage support)
- I need the recovery.img file, so post it in this thread if you need support for a new device

I'm just not sure what any of this means though nor how to get the boot.img or the recovery.img. When my device was updating, I managed to save the stock ROM 4.0.4. It is called, HOME_SHV-E140K.UK22.1901_CL1174059_REV01_user_low_ship.tar. md5. I don't know what to do with this or even having this helps.

Please advise. I am totally willing to buy you a beer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-08-03-19-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-08-03-19-36.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 679

urayy1

Jun 3, 2012
SHV-E140K

Okay, I think I got it. I've extracted the files from the Stock ROM.

I've attached the boot.img and the recovery.img.

I'm still not sure what you mean by:

Attachments

• boot.img
    5.6 MB · Views: 133
  • recovery.img
    6.1 MB · Views: 128
Last edited:

WetLlama

Sep 10, 2008
North Carolina
Ugh.

So I've rooted phones before, but now I've got one that doesn't have a rooting "easy button," the Samsung Stratosphere II (Verizon SCH-i415, 4.0.4); doing a cat /proc/partitions doesn't give the names of the partitions, and being a total Linux/Android system noob, I can't tell off-hand which is which:

major minor #blocks name

179 0 7634944 mmcblk0
179 1 61440 mmcblk0p1
179 2 128 mmcblk0p2
179 3 256 mmcblk0p3
179 4 512 mmcblk0p4
179 5 2048 mmcblk0p5
179 6 512 mmcblk0p6
179 7 10240 mmcblk0p7
179 8 512 mmcblk0p8
179 9 512 mmcblk0p9
179 10 10240 mmcblk0p10
179 11 13952 mmcblk0p11
179 12 3072 mmcblk0p12
179 13 3072 mmcblk0p13
179 14 1536000 mmcblk0p14
179 15 5079040 mmcblk0p15
179 16 8192 mmcblk0p16
179 17 860160 mmcblk0p17
179 18 10240 mmcblk0p18
179 19 10240 mmcblk0p19
179 20 6144 mmcblk0p20
179 21 3072 mmcblk0p21
179 22 8 mmcblk0p22
179 23 5120 mmcblk0p23
179 64 2048 mmcblk0boot1
179 32 2048 mmcblk0boot0
179 96 31166976 mmcblk1
179 97 31162880 mmcblk1p1

Chainfire, I notice earlier you said many Samsung devices don't use separate kernel/recovery partitions, so is this one of them? Am I pretty much out of luck as far as rooting goes?

urayy1

Jun 3, 2012
SHV-E140K Partition

I installed partition table on my device. I'm not sure what it means. Can you tell me if my device is partitioned so I can know whether I can root my device?

I have attached a screen shot from partition table.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-08-11-33-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-08-11-33-14.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 602

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Ugh.

So I've rooted phones before, but now I've got one that doesn't have a rooting "easy button," the Samsung Stratosphere II (Verizon SCH-i415, 4.0.4); doing a cat /proc/partitions doesn't give the names of the partitions, and being a total Linux/Android system noob, I can't tell off-hand which is which:

Chainfire, I notice earlier you said many Samsung devices don't use separate kernel/recovery partitions, so is this one of them? Am I pretty much out of luck as far as rooting goes?

Sorry but this just isn't enough information. And what worries me even more is that you're on Verizon, who often lock their bootloaders - and unless a bootloader unlock is available, you may not be able to root this way at all.

urayy1

Jun 3, 2012
It worked.

I went into the ODIN download mode. It reads:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME:SHV-E140K
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: (I tired other methods before so the count is at 3)
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL

In the middle, it says Downloading... Do not turn off target!!

So I ran Odin3-v1.85.exe
Selected PDA
Chose CF-Auto-Root-shve140k-shve140k-shve140k.tar.md5

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CF-Auto-Root-shve140k-shve140k-shve140k.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

I rebooted and I looked for SuperSU but I couldn't find it. When I ran Root Checker, it said I didn't have root access. I am guessing I am doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

It worked. Awesome. I had to update my drivers on my computer.

Beers on me. Can I donate on download page?

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
For the root to work, the device must reboot into recovery. Most devices will do this automatically after flashing these files, but in case that does not happen, please boot into recovery manually.

Try booting into recovery manually. Turn off the device and hold home + volup + power to turn it on again. See what happens.

urayy1

Jun 3, 2012
[root] Triangle Away

[root] Triangle Away works for the SHV-E140K. Had to run it a couple of times but it worked. Thanks again for the root.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CF-Auto-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root. In essence, it does nothing but install and enable SuperSU on your system, so apps can gain root access.

This thread serves as a central discussion and request thread for CF-Auto-Root. If you have questions about a specific CF-Auto-Root binary for a specific device, please go the relevant thread listed on the CF-Auto-Root homepage.

Donate
    CF-Root and CF-Auto-Root have been available for many devices (over 50 different models !) and have clocked over 9 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that include CF-Root (non-Auto) kernels. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every user had donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery (note that any other recovery you may have installed will be overwritten !)

What's the difference between CF-Auto-Root and CF-Root, and/or other root solutions ?
    CF-Root (non-Auto) are manually built rooted kernels and/or flashables that usually provide more than "just root". CF-Auto-Root is built on an automated system that I am constantly improving that takes a stock recovery image and returns an automated rooting packages. These packages are designed to install and enable SuperSU on your device, so apps can gain root access, and nothing more.

The difference with many other rooting solutions is that those will often install a custom recovery for you (I am personally moving away from custom kernels and recoveries, for various reasons), while with CF-Auto-Root you will end up with a stock recovery again.

Not included - custom recovery
    A custom recovery like CWM or TWRP is not included.

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/
    Requirements and requests

The the CF-Auto-Root project currently supports the following base boards:

- Samsung Exynos4
    - Texas Instruments Omap4
    - Qualcomm MSM8660

Other boards will probably be added soon. Currently only Samsung devices are supported, but I'm looking to expand into other devices soon as well.

To be able to make CF-Auto-Root for a device:

- The kernel and recovery format must be the boot.img standard (no zImage support)
    - I need the recovery.img file, so post it in this thread if you need support for a new device :)
    Devices and threads

The full list of all supported devices is always available and always current at the CF-Auto-Root homepage.

Most supported devices have their own threads here on XDA, you can find the thread for your device in the device listing on the CF-Auto-Root homepage as well.

I will not be maintaining a secondary list in this post, as it would be double work.
    First of all, wasn't sure if it was allowed to post on this thread (it's odd, 4 days old and no post), as I've seen nothing saying I shouldn't, here I go.

Newbie question here:

1) Is it possible to flash CWM Recovery with this root?
    2) I'm willing to flash it, should I then just root using CF-Root(non-auto) as it already comes with CWM?
    3) The version of CWM on CF-Root (non-auto) is already outdated, would it be a problem if I just flashed the new version over it with ODIN (download it from clockworkmod.com/rommanager and flash)?

I ask this because I want to keep my phone as stock as possible, but want to be able to perform a Nandroid backup and flash some ZIPs (if there's a way to perferm/restore Nandroid backups and flash ZIPs w/o CWM please tell me how :) )

This thread is pretty much quiet because most of the supported devices have their own threads ;)

(1) Root is a separate thing from CWM. CF-Auto-Root does not include CWM, but if your device has a CWM build you can certainly flash it. The "ROM Manager" app will be able to install it if your device has an "officially" supported CWM build from Koush himself.
    (2) If a CF-Root (non-auto) is available then it's probably outdated. I do not maintain any CWM builds anymore, but others do for most devices, so you should be able to find one.
    (3) You can do that no problem.

I use Mobile ODIN for flashing ZIPs, but it does not do backup/restores (yet *wink*). For my other backup needs, I use Titanium Backup.

But to each their own. Some people prefer CWM, some people prefer TWRP, some people like me prefer stock so we can keep the counters at 0/official, etc. CF-Auto-Root keeps all our options open. It doesn't prevent you from anything, though it does also not include anything like that.