Change Carrier Name(app)V1.3 Updated 4/6/11

Search This thread

Conap

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 1, 2010
I threw together a simple app to change the Carrier Name in the status bar/lockscreen to whatever you want since my alot of people seem to ask how to change it. Feel free to use it. Tested on Incredible and Eris. No ads and free just a simple tool to change the text.

Currently only for AOSP roms such as cyanogenmod roms.
V1.3
While trouble shooting some radio issues on a rom I realized there's no need to reboot the phone to apply the new carrier name. I only needed to cycle the radio so I changed the app to toggle airplane mode on and then back off after you input your text so the change should take place immediately. This should make it a little easier to test and try different things or just change it more often.
I also added some shortcut buttons at the bottom to quickly add the text for the ", < and > signs so you don't have to type it all out. Only tested this with cm7 but should still work with any rom's it worked with before. Again thanks to Psiphon for pointing these symbol fixes out.
http://www.multiupload.com/RO6RZUUL16
V1.2
Fix for phones that don't already have an eri.xml file there
Added version number to bottom of screen so people can be sure what version they are running.

Download CCName1.2
V1.1
Fixed force closes when using symbols.
You can now use symbols except for double quotes. Apostrophe (single quote) seems to work fine.
Some useful info if you want quotes....
You can use special characters like the quotation marks and greater/less than signs by using entity references (either using an entity name or number):

" (quotation mark) use "

< (less than sign) use either < or <

> (greater than sign) use either > or >

I hope this helps!
Added Toast popup to let you know the name has been set.
If reboot button does not reboot phone just reboot the phone manually
http://www.androidphiles.com/files/get/w5A-P2p_tx/ccname1.1.apk

This app does one thing. It takes the input text you type and creates and eri.xml file and puts it in data/ folder on your phone. Then you can reboot for change to take effect. You can uninstall the app after you change it if you want or you can leave it on there(it's pretty small) in case you like to switch it every now and then. If you flash a new rom you will have to rerun the app.

I have used it on cm7 for incredible but should work for all roms and probably other phones.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

Last edited:

N-Forced

Sep 28, 2010
Not working for me on my incredible running lous redemptive revolution rom, after entering my text it either freezes and fc's on me or after hitting set name and reboot nothing happens.

Conap

Apr 1, 2010
Not working for me on my incredible running lous redemptive revolution rom, after entering my text it either freezes and fc's on me or after hitting set name and reboot nothing happens.

Is that a sense based rom? I didn't try it on any sense based roms but I thought they would use an eri.xml in the /data folder.

N-Forced

Sep 28, 2010
Yep its a sense based rom. I looked with root explorer and didn't see an eri.xml in there, but I do remember seeing the banner eri text in an xml file in an apk I was decompileing awile back. Can't remember if it was in framework.apk or htc_resources.apk

Conap

Apr 1, 2010
Yep its a sense based rom. I looked with root explorer and didn't see an eri.xml in there, but I do remember seeing the banner eri text in an xml file in an apk I was decompileing awile back. Can't remember if it was in framework.apk or htc_resources.apk

Yeah there doesn't need to be an eri.xml file in there the app should create one. Android uses an eri.xml file that is compiled into the framework-res.apk. If there is an eri.xml file in the data folder then it overrides the one in the framework-res.apk. I'm still not sure why that wouldn't work on a sense based rom though. If you can get a logcat of the force close I could take a look and see what's going on. If not I'll try to flash that rom sometime this weekend and try it out. Thanks for the feedback.

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Worked great on cm7.

Just a few things you might want to add.

1. maybe add a toast notification that says it wrote to the file and tell them to reboot.

And the app only fc on me when I tried to add ' or @ symbols so might want to say you can't do it.

Just food for thought.

Sent from my sexy assistance (HTC Incredible cm7)

luke1987

Nov 19, 2010
ND
Having trouble with Athena, which is sense based. Root permission is granted, but I end up manually rebooting because reboot button doesn't work.

Conap

Apr 1, 2010
Worked great on cm7.

Just a few things you might want to add.

1. maybe add a toast notification that says it wrote to the file and tell them to reboot.

And the app only fc on me when I tried to add ' or @ symbols so might want to say you can't do it.

Just food for thought.

Yeah I agree with the toast suggestion I will add that and thanks for the heads up on the symbols....I don't think they can go in xml files I will add that to first post.
Having trouble with Athena, which is sense based. Root permission is granted, but I end up manually rebooting because reboot button doesn't work.

CM and alot of custom roms have a reboot binary in the rom. Your build probably doesn't have that binary which is why the button doesn't work. Rebooting manually will still do the same thing as the button I added. Did it make the changes when you rebooted manually?

Edit: Actually it did let me use the @ symbol. I'll have to investigate that a little more.

Last edited:

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Yeah I agree with the toast suggestion I will add that and thanks for the heads up on the symbols....I don't think they can go in xml files I will add that to first post.

CM and alot of custom roms have a reboot binary in the rom. Your build probably doesn't have that binary which is why the button doesn't work. Rebooting manually will still do the same thing as the button I added. Did it make the changes when you rebooted manually?

Edit: Actually it did let me use the @ symbol. I'll have to investigate that a little more.

Oh. Ill try it again a little bit later.

N-Forced

Sep 28, 2010
Ok I actually managed to change the banner on a sense rom with the help of JsChiSurf from this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=8735731&postcount=106 Although in the instructions he gives he uses hex to edit the banner you do not need to. If you want to edit the file in plain english all you need to do it download the xml file he provides, insert it into your framework-res.apk file, then decompile and edit with an xml editor.

Here is my result.

CAP201102182300.jpg

Conap

Apr 1, 2010
Oh I c. Dam wish there is a way around it because I want to put "Justin's phone" but ill stick with "HTC Incredible"

Great work. Might want to post in market

I'll look for a way to put quotes in but the issue is that the xml file line looks like this EriText="Verizon Wireless" and it reads the quotes to know the beginning and end of the letters it should display so when you add more quotes in it confuses the xml file so not sure if there would be a work around for that or not. I might throw it up in the market just to make it easier for people to access since I already have a market account but it will continue to be free.
Ok I actually managed to change the banner on a sense rom with the help of JsChiSurf from this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=8735731&postcount=106 Although in the instructions he gives he uses hex to edit the banner you do not need to. If you want to edit the file in plain english all you need to do it download the xml file he provides, insert it into your framework-res.apk file, then decompile and edit with an xml editor.

Yeah there are a few ways to change it I was just attempting to make it easier lol....anyone else running sense roms that have time to try it and give feedback would be great....thanks.

Conap

Apr 1, 2010
ok i think i fixed all the issues and i added the toast message. you can now use any symbols or any letters you want except for double quotes as they are read by the xml file as starting and ending the settings.(I don't think you can use double quotes even if you edited it manually) Single quotes or apostrophe's are fine to use.....thanks for testing guys....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I threw together a simple app to change the Carrier Name in the status bar/lockscreen to whatever you want since my alot of people seem to ask how to change it. Feel free to use it. Tested on Incredible and Eris. No ads and free just a simple tool to change the text.

Currently only for AOSP roms such as cyanogenmod roms.
    V1.3
    While trouble shooting some radio issues on a rom I realized there's no need to reboot the phone to apply the new carrier name. I only needed to cycle the radio so I changed the app to toggle airplane mode on and then back off after you input your text so the change should take place immediately. This should make it a little easier to test and try different things or just change it more often.
    I also added some shortcut buttons at the bottom to quickly add the text for the ", < and > signs so you don't have to type it all out. Only tested this with cm7 but should still work with any rom's it worked with before. Again thanks to Psiphon for pointing these symbol fixes out.
    http://www.multiupload.com/RO6RZUUL16
    V1.2
    Fix for phones that don't already have an eri.xml file there
    Added version number to bottom of screen so people can be sure what version they are running.

Download CCName1.2
    V1.1
    Fixed force closes when using symbols.
    You can now use symbols except for double quotes. Apostrophe (single quote) seems to work fine.
    Some useful info if you want quotes....
    You can use special characters like the quotation marks and greater/less than signs by using entity references (either using an entity name or number):

" (quotation mark) use "

< (less than sign) use either < or <

> (greater than sign) use either > or >

I hope this helps!
    Added Toast popup to let you know the name has been set.
    If reboot button does not reboot phone just reboot the phone manually
    http://www.androidphiles.com/files/get/w5A-P2p_tx/ccname1.1.apk

This app does one thing. It takes the input text you type and creates and eri.xml file and puts it in data/ folder on your phone. Then you can reboot for change to take effect. You can uninstall the app after you change it if you want or you can leave it on there(it's pretty small) in case you like to switch it every now and then. If you flash a new rom you will have to rerun the app.

I have used it on cm7 for incredible but should work for all roms and probably other phones.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!
    I dont have 1.3, but i have 1.2.
    http://dinc.does-it.net/APKs/CCN_1.2/CCName1.2.apk

EDIT: Actually i had 1.3 saved on ny pc too.
    http://dinc.does-it.net/APKs/CCN_1.3/CCName1.3.apk
    No good on Magnolia 1.1.1 (Sense-based)

Love the idea though. Getting sick of seeing Verizon Wireless.

Ok i'll try to load up a sense rom this weekend some time and see if i can get it working.
    What rom are you on? Do you get the toast popup saying it set it? It appears that the sense framework will not use an eri.xml file in the data/ folder to override the one in framework-res.apk so this will only work on aosp based roms such as CM.

tried 3x and still a no go for me. I'm on CM7 and when I click set name I get no toast notification.

Tried rebooting thinking maybe it set but it didn't. Just tried to put my name in it, no special characters, for what it's worth.
    tried 3x and still a no go for me. I'm on CM7 and when I click set name I get no toast notification.

Tried rebooting thinking maybe it set but it didn't. Just tried to put my name in it, no special characters, for what it's worth.

I think the issue was on phones the didn't already have an eri.xml file in place so I had it create a blank eri.xml file first and then it will write what you want to the file so this should work for you I think....

V1.2 http://www.androidphiles.com/files/get/DYIPFG2fur/ccname1.2.apk