Change Google Account without factory reset!

Search This thread

pramods

Oct 24, 2008
You can change the google account used in G1 without factory reset, once you have done the setup, go to the setting option and then applications, in application go to Gmail and then clear the user data option, once you clear the Gmail data, and IM data from application you will see a notification/alert and that will require you to do the gmail setup again, use the other gmail account to register.

NOTE: the contacts and logs also got deleted in this process, so make sure you have a complete contact listed some where or better sycn it with previous gmail account and then export that from gmail. Once you setup the different account, import that contact and sync back to G1.

-Pramod

pramods

Oct 24, 2008
I just did it and it still re-connects to my mocked up acct
I have tried it again and it works, try to clear the data of Google Application from the application, as you clear the data, android will have a notification to register again, use the new account to register.

Note:make sure you take care of contacts, else you may loose all that.

-Pramod

hbguy

Jul 17, 2007
Huntington Beach
what do you mean:

"try to clear the data of Google Application from the application, as you clear the data"

so go to settings and manage applications then go to Google Apps and clear data?

sorry, i'm not the best reading comprehension kind of person as was seen when i take standardized exams :)

hbguy

googcs

Jan 13, 2005
Like I said, I tried your steps and I still get the prompt to enter my password for the previous gmail. I just ended up doing a full restore.

pramods

Oct 24, 2008
Like I said, I tried your steps and I still get the prompt to enter my password for the previous gmail. I just ended up doing a full restore.
not sure what's going on, I tried again and here are the steps go to setting then application management and the click gmail storage and clear data, do same with with google app storage and clear the data, wait for few minute and you get a reactive notification with a triangle and exclaimation.

Am I the only one able to do this again and again?
-Pramod

buidoi2023

Mar 15, 2006
not sure what's going on, I tried again and here are the steps go to setting then application management and the click gmail storage and clear data, do same with with google app storage and clear the data, wait for few minute and you get a reactive notification with a triangle and exclaimation.

Am I the only one able to do this again and again?
-Pramod

Works for me!! All i needed to do was to clear data of Google App in Application. Thanks

Dec 26, 2008
The first thing you said was:

"You can change the google account used in G1 without factory reset, once you have done the setup, go to the setting option and then applications, in application go to Gmail and then clear the user data option"

The second thing you said was:

"I have tried it again and it works, try to clear the data of Google Application from the application, as you clear the data, android will have a notification to register again, use the new account to register."

Since the first thing you said (just the word "applications") was not very close to the ACTUAL NAME of the application you mean to be talking about, I suspect most ppl here tried clearing the data for the Gmail application.

I know I did, at any rate. Explanation FAIL.

Trying the suggestion with application: Google Apps now....

It works.

Get the effin names right, plz.

Here's an example of clear and correct steps:

Home -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Google Apps -> Clear data -> Notifications (top of screen) -> Tap "Your account must be updated" -> Enter new account info -> reboot* -> Get your contacts back somehow.

* I'm not certain that the reboot is required, but it seemed to take the Gmail application an ungodly amount of time to sync otherwise.

And lastly, note that the Call Log (tab in Contacts) is NOT deleted by this method.

Last edited:

tengtengvn

Dec 13, 2008
Silicon Valley
Install AnyCut from Market. Turn on wifi.

AnyCut > New shortcut > Activity > Setup Wizard.

1230335424715zq3.png

1230335436370qq8.png

1230335490582xq4.png

Settings > Manage Applications > Applications > Google Apps > Clear Data

Go back to Home screen, tap on the new shortcut.
1230335373709ek7.png

Last edited: