spr33

Jan 10, 2007
Staffordshire
Pretty sure you used to be able to use the following command

For resolution:
adb shell wm size 1080x1920

For screen density:
adb shell wm density 390

Obviously adjust numbers to suit your needs.

I accept no responsibility for any issues which may occur if you use these commands :)

Edit:
Did a quick bit of googling and found this which echos the above: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongodev/comments/6554k1/_/dgfpesr

IvanPTachev

Oct 21, 2020
I know this is quite an old post, but couldn't find a newer one mentioning if changing screen res works. Did these commands worked fine with the 6 pro? And is there any noticable difference in battery life/performance if it does work?

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

IvanPTachev

Oct 21, 2020
Gave it a try just now and it does work, however definitely not what I expected. Basically adds 2 huge top/bottomn notches and brings your rendered screen in the middle. Bottom gestures are almost impossible, as you have to start somewhere middle in the screen. And for unlocking the device - now you need 2 fingers - one to trigger the FP scanner because it ends up in the bottom right and one on the actual Scanner:D. Also you end up with a weirdly placed camera cutout that you cant remove.

I might try to run my phone like this for a day, as I wanted to experiment how the battery behaves. Menus seems really fast and smooth, but can be because the animations have less space and are shorter :D. If anyone has an idea for a command to stretch the screen over the whole display, I'd love to try.

Edit: Never mind, dumb me didnt adjust for screen ratio not being what I'm used to. After taking that into account 1080x2340 works. Fingerprint and camera cutout issues still persist though.

Last edited:

B from C

Aug 18, 2015
While this may be a little small/sharp for some people, I've been running "Smallest Width" at 720, which seems to yield a "Display Size" of 320dpi, along with default font size for awhile and have had no issues with the camera cutout or the fingerprint reader. I also use the AOD Notify app to put a glowing ring around the camera and didnt need to make any offsets so I'm pretty sure my camera cutout is where it's supposed to be.

I ran 320dpi/720width for years on a few Samsung Note devices prior to my P6P so that's what I'm used to (I'm one of those people who run a 4k tv as a monitor with no scaling). You may need to play with different dpi and font combinations until you find something you are comfortable with. In rare situations I have needed to restart the device or clear the cache for all UI elements to resize correctly after a change.

IvanPTachev

Oct 21, 2020
After a couple days of testing (it did indeed took me 2 days to kill my phone) I figured that for whatever reason, on the Pixel (maybe exynos) lowering the render res does indeed save some battery. On 1080p I managed to get around 1%/h - 2%/h less consumption on Screen on Time, which for people like me who manage to get 5+ hours of screen on time can result in quite of a difference. I regularly end days with something between 30-40% battery, which is still really good but I won't go to a second day as the 2 hours charge time is really annoying me :D.

With the lower resolution I ended the first day with 57% and I ended up with 37.5 hours of standby and 8 hours and 40 min of SoT in a full charge. I even went further by reducing the resolution to 720p, but it is really obvious that Google never made a 720p phone - almost all UI's broke and even changing the brightness was a hassle. I also believe that it might have triggered some rouge process as my phone lost 10% battery in less than an hour, so I switched back to my original 1440p.

To conclude this - is changing your resolution to 1080p worth the broken finger print - depends. In my example, I would probably do it if I know I am going on a trip where lots of pics/videos will be taken and heavy navigation use, as my phone is more of a tool in cases like that and I always try to squeeze every bit of battery I can. If google does implement the ability to change the res though - I would definitely switch.

I just wonder, why does it made such a big difference on this phone, but it didnt for S10(the only battery test I found on a video). Is Android 12 harder to drive? Or are these LTPO panels more intense on the GPU? Or is it even exynos/mali GPU not as efficient as SD on rendering UIs? If anyone wants to chime in - Id' be glad to hear some opinions. ( Or maybe I just used my phone less.. that would be the worst :D)

P.S. Just to say this was done on 60hz and that your milage might vary, if you decide to try. Everyone's usage is different and in my case I work from home - so WiFi connection (although router is far) but horrible signal, as I am a top flat in the UK (worst case scenario). The setting I used for the adb command is 1080x2340 and denstity was 400, although density is preference I guess and I believe wont affect battery.
Screenshot_20220221-103921~3.png
Screenshot_20220223-061759~2.png

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Yessss... I changed it... All. Works

Download app easy dpi changer from playstore

And set this value

Need root
If want to stock values only tap to reset and all come back to stock value
For what it's worth, with Android 13 Stable and the Kirisakura custom kernel, you can now change to 1080p from Android settings.

XDA Article: Google Pixel 6 Pro gains 1080p support thanks to Android 13 and a custom kernel

SkexxGo

There must be a way of doing it without opening the bootloader, right? Or do you guys think it's impossible without breaking stuff like the fp scanner? I'd love to lower my resolution but I really didn't want to lose all my stuff and have to reinstall everything at this moment.

B from C

Aug 18, 2015
Another method to adjust screen resolution/size/dpi: I noticed the "AOSP Mods" module for LSposed/Magisk has an option in the "Miscellaneous" section for "Display resolution". The slider does work and changes the resolution on my P6P without modifying the smallest width developer setting. YMMV

forum link

Reactions: StanWiz

StanWiz

Oct 27, 2014
Another method to adjust screen resolution/size/dpi: I noticed the "AOSP Mods" module for LSposed/Magisk has an option in the "Miscellaneous" section for "Display resolution". The slider does work and changes the resolution on my P6P without modifying the smallest width developer setting. YMMV

forum link
Thanks a million for this. The module fixed my screen flickering - couldn't go over approx 50% without flicker . I set the screen brightness from within Miscellaneous. Only problem is that I can't access Miscellaneous again without module force closing (other options are fine) - looking into the reason for it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pretty sure you used to be able to use the following command

For resolution:
    adb shell wm size 1080x1920

For screen density:
    adb shell wm density 390

Obviously adjust numbers to suit your needs.

I accept no responsibility for any issues which may occur if you use these commands :)

Edit:
    Did a quick bit of googling and found this which echos the above: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongodev/comments/6554k1/_/dgfpesr
    Yessss... I changed it... All. Works

Download app easy dpi changer from playstore

And set this value

Need root
    If want to stock values only tap to reset and all come back to stock value
    For what it's worth, with Android 13 Stable and the Kirisakura custom kernel, you can now change to 1080p from Android settings.

XDA Article: Google Pixel 6 Pro gains 1080p support thanks to Android 13 and a custom kernel
    There is also the "smallest width" setting under the developers options menu. I set mine to 720 for higher resolution.
    After a couple days of testing (it did indeed took me 2 days to kill my phone) I figured that for whatever reason, on the Pixel (maybe exynos) lowering the render res does indeed save some battery. On 1080p I managed to get around 1%/h - 2%/h less consumption on Screen on Time, which for people like me who manage to get 5+ hours of screen on time can result in quite of a difference. I regularly end days with something between 30-40% battery, which is still really good but I won't go to a second day as the 2 hours charge time is really annoying me :D.

With the lower resolution I ended the first day with 57% and I ended up with 37.5 hours of standby and 8 hours and 40 min of SoT in a full charge. I even went further by reducing the resolution to 720p, but it is really obvious that Google never made a 720p phone - almost all UI's broke and even changing the brightness was a hassle. I also believe that it might have triggered some rouge process as my phone lost 10% battery in less than an hour, so I switched back to my original 1440p.

To conclude this - is changing your resolution to 1080p worth the broken finger print - depends. In my example, I would probably do it if I know I am going on a trip where lots of pics/videos will be taken and heavy navigation use, as my phone is more of a tool in cases like that and I always try to squeeze every bit of battery I can. If google does implement the ability to change the res though - I would definitely switch.

I just wonder, why does it made such a big difference on this phone, but it didnt for S10(the only battery test I found on a video). Is Android 12 harder to drive? Or are these LTPO panels more intense on the GPU? Or is it even exynos/mali GPU not as efficient as SD on rendering UIs? If anyone wants to chime in - Id' be glad to hear some opinions. ( Or maybe I just used my phone less.. that would be the worst :D)

P.S. Just to say this was done on 60hz and that your milage might vary, if you decide to try. Everyone's usage is different and in my case I work from home - so WiFi connection (although router is far) but horrible signal, as I am a top flat in the UK (worst case scenario). The setting I used for the adb command is 1080x2340 and denstity was 400, although density is preference I guess and I believe wont affect battery.
    Screenshot_20220221-103921~3.png
    Screenshot_20220223-061759~2.png
    I know this is quite an old post, but couldn't find a newer one mentioning if changing screen res works. Did these commands worked fine with the 6 pro? And is there any noticable difference in battery life/performance if it does work?