Question Changes to the way Android 12 (or MIUI 13) handles system fonts AND EMOJIS, and where can I get a copy of SF Pro VARIABLE font .ttf?

Search This thread

seemebreakthis

Jun 6, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 11
Have some info followed by a question - geared more towards people with rooted Mi 11's:

Back when I was still using MIUI 10, then 11, then 12, they all had the same mechanism for picking the system font to be displayed. You use the font files of your choice, rename them as Roboto<whatever>.ttf (There are 20 or so of these files), replace the original ones in /system/fonts with these files, reboot, and you are done. A simple magisk module makes it much easier to bypass system restrictions to accomplish the font file replacements.

With MIUI 13 some changes become necessary, mainly because Google is now using VARIABLE FONTS. So we now only have 2 files to replace (on top of the emoji font file, that is):

Roboto-Regular.ttf --> This single .ttf now should now be a VARIABLE font, and should contain a rich set of font variations e.g. bold, italic, condensed, etc. all within this single file.
RobotoStatic-Regular.ttf --> This file provides backward compatibility for some apps that still require the traditional Roboto Regular font.

RobotoStatic-Regular.ttf is easy as it is the exact same thing as the previous Roboto-Regular.ttf in previous versions of MIUI. But for the new Roboto-Regular.ttf, I have no "variable font" version of the font that I have been using as my substitution of Roboto.

For now I have managed to download and use the new Google Product Sans font which is a variable font, and it actually looks pretty good. But my choice is still to use the same font I have been using for years - SF Pro Display (i.e. the iphone default font).

Anyone who knows where a copy of SF Pro Display "variable" font can be downloaded please let me know. Either that, or how to create a variable font .ttf file from a whole bunch of non-variable font files that belong to the same font family?

Thanks so much !!!

EDIT: Realized my emoji font substitution broke too, did some research, and figured out why. See my #3 response below

Last edited:
Reactions: AxiK. and kaiparker

seemebreakthis

Jun 6, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 11
Emoji broke too. This explains why:

Quick solution - if you can find your emoji file under /data/fonts/files/<whatever>, do your replacement there. It will get sucked into /system/fonts/

Reactions: kaiparker

kaiparker

May 31, 2015
Istanbul
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC

Quick solution - if you can find your emoji file under /data/fonts/files/<whatever>, do your replacement there. It will get sucked into /system/fonts/

Any chance you can share a Magisk module for these processes?

Reactions: AxiK.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have some info followed by a question - geared more towards people with rooted Mi 11's:

Back when I was still using MIUI 10, then 11, then 12, they all had the same mechanism for picking the system font to be displayed. You use the font files of your choice, rename them as Roboto<whatever>.ttf (There are 20 or so of these files), replace the original ones in /system/fonts with these files, reboot, and you are done. A simple magisk module makes it much easier to bypass system restrictions to accomplish the font file replacements.

With MIUI 13 some changes become necessary, mainly because Google is now using VARIABLE FONTS. So we now only have 2 files to replace (on top of the emoji font file, that is):

Roboto-Regular.ttf --> This single .ttf now should now be a VARIABLE font, and should contain a rich set of font variations e.g. bold, italic, condensed, etc. all within this single file.
    RobotoStatic-Regular.ttf --> This file provides backward compatibility for some apps that still require the traditional Roboto Regular font.

RobotoStatic-Regular.ttf is easy as it is the exact same thing as the previous Roboto-Regular.ttf in previous versions of MIUI. But for the new Roboto-Regular.ttf, I have no "variable font" version of the font that I have been using as my substitution of Roboto.

For now I have managed to download and use the new Google Product Sans font which is a variable font, and it actually looks pretty good. But my choice is still to use the same font I have been using for years - SF Pro Display (i.e. the iphone default font).

Anyone who knows where a copy of SF Pro Display "variable" font can be downloaded please let me know. Either that, or how to create a variable font .ttf file from a whole bunch of non-variable font files that belong to the same font family?

Thanks so much !!!

EDIT: Realized my emoji font substitution broke too, did some research, and figured out why. See my #3 response below

Any chance you can share a Magisk module for these processes?

There's this which works very well (for those who know how to customize) but idk how to use it to get all iPhone fonts.