• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Changing quick camera open shortcut

Search This thread

Thibale

Dec 29, 2005
Hello,

I want to launch a 3rd party camera app when double pressing the power button.
However, when disabling the stock camera app, the double press shortcut is doing nothing neither asking for anything.
The stock camera package name seems hardcoded.

Where can I change the apk name this shortcut is using?

Thanks !

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Replying to myself :

It can easily be done with Tasker using this profile:
https://taskernet.com/shares/?id=Profile:Double+Press+Power+Camera

The double press shortcut still need to be enabled in Settings -> System -> Gestures
Thanks for the info, that's interesting to know and might help someone else later on.

Always nice to see that the solutions to problems get posted here. There are enough OPs out there that never update their post and it just gets forgotten, even though the problem has been solved at some point.

Gnaius

Aug 2, 2018
Rome
Google Pixel 6 Pro
@Thibale That link won't open for me on my Pixel. I get: "taskerserver.error.ExceptionUserNotAuthenticated". I'm new to Tasker, btw. Trying to figure it out. A question: do I require root to implement this function?

Thibale

Dec 29, 2005
@Thibale That link won't open for me on my Pixel. I get: "taskerserver.error.ExceptionUserNotAuthenticated". I'm new to Tasker, btw. Trying to figure it out. A question: do I require root to implement this function?
I don't know I never used Tasker before as well but for such a simple task it was pretty straightforward, just specify the gcam apk in the tasks properties.
Tasker is getting a root access but I don't know if it's mandatory for this task.

Baumhouse

Sep 14, 2008
Replying to myself :

It can easily be done with Tasker using this profile:
https://taskernet.com/shares/?id=Profile:Double+Press+Power+Camera

The double press shortcut still need to be enabled in Settings -> System -> Gestures
Screenshot_20211128-133805~2.png
I get this. Now what to do?

The UI of Tasker for me is the exact opposite of intuitive. I have no clue why it is necessary to create a profile to create a task to launch an app. I'm totally lost.
I'm glad that there's now the possibility to do stuff via taskernet. I few years ago I was happy when I found the solution when somebody made a step-by-step guide to achieve the intended actions in Tasker I was looking for. Kudos to those people.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Baumhouse

Sep 14, 2008
I'm not able to find it. There is only one camera related task to import. But that's for quick settings.

Roll3r

Mar 7, 2006
Oakland, CA
I'm not able to find it. There is only one camera related task to import. But that's for quick settings.
Try this Tasker profile: https://taskernet.com/shares/?user=AS35m8lVhcOaGKZz/GWc7NgvIt2AxLZ8vmPse1zqSHFH7jZHS101OvNEymTLPwosP7Hb3zvB&id=Profile:DoublePress

I'm too lazy to figure out how reset the app for double-tap, so this task just kills the stock camera and launches "Camera 8.3". You'll need root. If you want it to open a different app you'll need to change it in the task

Edit: if you don't want to import the profile, just create one that triggers from event>system>logcat entry:

For component enter "GestureLauncherService" (no quotes! capitalizion matters!). For filter enter "Power button double tap gesture detected, launching camera"

Then just assign whatever task you want

Last edited:
Reactions: Baumhouse

lemonspeakerz

Nov 8, 2021
Is it possible to use double tap to wake up phone when asleep? or double tap for screen off when awake? Basically replace the tap button as a power button...

Top Liked Posts