• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Changing the resolution of Default to 2K without root

Search This thread

fesar

Mar 31, 2005
Chennai
I tried the adb Shell to change the Size of default Screen size from 1080 to 2k. This i did with Mac. My phone is not rooted.

Open terminal

adb shell

Then type

wm size 1440x2560

and to go back to default use

wm size 1080x1920

It works with reboot as well.

If we change the density from 480 - 640 using WM density 640. Icons looks very small. I think by default Sony doesn't supply icons for that density. Not sure if someone already said this. You can issue the same using mobile terminal emulator as well. You can download that app from Play Store.

I am not able to take screenshot as i get "Couldn't capture screenshot. Content may be protected or the memory may be full."

Try and let me know. If it is already mentioned here. Apology. Please close this

Francis.

fesar

Mar 31, 2005
Chennai
With Nova Launcher. With the below settings. The Phone looks awesome.

wm size 2160x3840
wm density 800

The Phone looks awesome. But with default launcher icons are so small.

Traczyk

Jul 18, 2012
I tried the adb Shell to change the Size of default Screen size from 1080 to 2k. This i did with Mac. My phone is not rooted.

Open terminal

adb shell

Then type

wm size 1440x2560

wm size 1080x1920

If we change the density from 480 - 640 using WM density 640. Icons looks very small. I think by default Sony doesn't supply icons for that density. Not sure if someone already said this. You can issue the same using mobile terminal emulator as well. You can download that app from Play Store.

I am not able to take screenshot as i get "Couldn't capture screenshot. Content may be protected or the memory may be full."

Try and let me know. If it is already mentioned here. Apology. Please close this

Francis.

My apologies for being a complete noob but could you give me an exact procedure for how to do this on Windows? I desperate need to change the awful DPI on this otherwise perfect phone.

Traczyk

Jul 18, 2012
@Traczyc
Download android sdk tools open up adb shell enter the commands hes given and done. Its all the same on windows.

Btw It looks great thanks fesar

Thanks, I managed to figure it out and I can confirm that it works! This is just so awesome! It's just too bad that the screenshot function doesn't work on any resolution above 1080P.

I got also one more question. When you change the resolution using ADB, does the phone actually start to output content in that resolution or is it just an illusion?

Last edited:

KbaB.BroS

Aug 25, 2013
Gothenburg
Sony Xperia 1 II
Thanks, I managed to figure it out and I can confirm that it works! This is just so awesome! It's just too bad that the screenshot function doesn't work on any resolution above 1080P.

I got also one more question. When you change the resolution using ADB, does the phone actually start to output content in that resolution or is it just an illusion?

2k resolution on YouTube becomes available, so I guess it works

Edit: One more thing, if everything has this weird scaling a reboot usually fixes this.

Happy new year!

Last edited:
Reactions: equinox007

fesar

Mar 31, 2005
Chennai
I confirmed the change with some screen resolution apps and in YouTube and it both confirms it as 2k. I hope Sony makes this as permanent and with an option for real 4k as well.

jplempka

Apr 28, 2014
I confirmed the change with some screen resolution apps and in YouTube and it both confirms it as 2k. I hope Sony makes this as permanent and with an option for real 4k as well.

Didn't you say you were running it in 4K now?

With Nova Launcher. With the below settings. The Phone looks awesome.

wm size 2160x3840
wm density 800

The Phone looks awesome. But with default launcher icons are so small.

Sent from my E6853 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

fesar

Mar 31, 2005
Chennai
Reactions: EMJI79

jumbonosich

Oct 24, 2010
Yes agreed. But I prefer having my resolution on the visual screen to be better than 1080p.

Tks
With Nova Launcher prime and Tesla Unread With the below settings.
The Phone looks awesome.
wm size 2160x3840
wm density 800

but i also have the screenshots problems? I have also tried to delete or rename Pictures folder but problem still remain.
Any solution?
Tks

Reactions: davidht

Freeshooter

Jan 2, 2016
Tks
With Nova Launcher prime and Tesla Unread With the below settings.
The Phone looks awesome.
wm size 2160x3840
wm density 800

but i also have the screenshots problems? I have also tried to delete or rename Pictures folder but problem still remain.
Any solution?
Tks

I'm actually new to using adb. Does anyone mind doing a step by step guide on how to do this? I would greatly appreciate your help and time. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Open terminal

adb shell

Then type

wm size 1440x2560

wm size 1080x1920

Francis.
    Guys, I don't want to flaming here but this method never worked properly. Yes you said your device to run on 4K but that happens just emulated, you are still running in 1080x1920. You want to see a proof?

1:
    Type in wm size to your shell
    It will say native resolution is still 1080x1920

2:
    You can even set 4K size to a non 4K phone (tested on Z3)

3:
    The wm command was made to make testing purposes for apps and frameworks to emulate what will happen on 4K for example

4:
    @BustyLoli-Chan and @AndroPlus already approved that it just work via kernel modification

We have a resolution switcher inside kernel which can't be triggered if we just change virtual overridden resolution to 4K

Well I don't want to spread hate or something to OP, I just want to clarify because now even Xperiablog believed that this work for "native 4K".

The OP tried to give his best to find that out, I'm sure of it, but wrong things are wrong.

Your PDesire
    "wm size" only emulates resolution, so real resolution is still FHD and 4K upscaling won't work when you are not watching image/video.
    Real resolution is controlled by kernel:
    https://github.com/AndroPlus-org/an...rm/boot/dts/qcom/dsi-panel-satsuki.dtsi#L3025
    I just got a Z5P to use for VR. I'm running it right now at 1440x2560 with a density of 440, but when I watch movies I switch it to 4K.

I don't know why no one else has mentioned this, but using GravityBox and Tasker shortcuts, I added this to my quick settings toggle:

Screenshot_20161002_102944.png

When I long press the toggle, it switches the resolution to 4K by executing the code
    Code:
    wm size 2160x3840
    and when I single press it it switches back to 2K by running
    Code:
    wm size 1440x2560

Simple and easy, takes 1 sec to switch between resolutions.

BustyLoliPants here,
    Semi-inactive Sony Xperia z5 Premium kernel developer.

I just want to tell you that changing the window manager (WM) resolution or density isn't going to actually switch the screen into 4k mode or anything.

All it's doing is changing the simulated screen resolution and density and then cramming (downscaling) it onto a 1080p screen. It's no different than looking at 4k picture on your computer screen in Firefox or in photoshop with the fit to screen option.

Knowing that was the entire reason I wrote the hardware kernel patch to force the phone into 4k mode always to begin with.

The only thing the WM is really good for in my opinion is changing the density so that you can force the OS to scale buttons and other content down to a smaller size and get the most out of the limited 1080x1920 pixels than you have.

So when you ask why nobody thought of it before, it's because short of rendering content to a larger surface and downscaling it to 1080p much in a way similar to msaa, it's really not doing anything for you.