Changing the Sony Ericsson Xperia X2 processor?

Search This thread

hertell

Nov 28, 2009
Helsinki
Hi all,

I wonder if there is any possibility to change the prosessor of the X2 for a faster one. If there is somewhere a processor that has the same pin-layout, same size than the one on the x2, then why wouldn't it be possible to unsolder it and swap to an faster one..?

Sorry if this question is stupid, but i have no idea about mobilephone processors... :confused: On computers you can swap processors if they fit in the socket, and consume the same amount of power etc..

Last edited:

oTToToTenTanz

Aug 11, 2008
I'm not so much more a mobilephone processor expert but I doubt it's that easy. In mobilephones those components have to work together I guess. That means some hardware probably needs that qualcomm to work.
Also, I could imagine theres a problem with the heat of faster processor - or is that nonsense?

ring-bearer

Feb 1, 2009
Hi all,

I wonder if there is any possibility to change the prosessor of the X2 for a faster one. If there is somewhere a processor that has the same pin-layout, same size than the one on the x2, then why wouldn't it be possible to unsolder it and swap to an faster one..?

Sorry if this question is stupid, but i have no idea about mobilephone processors... :confused: On computers you can swap processors if they fit in the socket, and consume the same amount of power etc..

It's a great question; I also wish it were possible. But mobile phone processors have various complexities such as a separate processor for various functions like phone or graphics. The only possibility would be to go from one Qualcomm to another, but even then, aren't mobile phone processors tiny? The soldering itself might be close to impossible.

hertell

Nov 28, 2009
Helsinki
It's a great question; I also wish it were possible. But mobile phone processors have various complexities such as a separate processor for various functions like phone or graphics. The only possibility would be to go from one Qualcomm to another, but even then, aren't mobile phone processors tiny? The soldering itself might be close to impossible.
If it would just be the case of soldering, then i'll find someone who would do the job for me :) Afcourse the aspect of heat etc could be an issue..

Any other thoughts from anyone who knows about these kind of processors?

anothadave

Mar 6, 2009
unlikely that its even the same size let alone the same number of pins.. and even if it was of identical size and layout then theres the voltages to consider. i doubt the x2 was constructed by hand. quite often chips are placed and soldered by machine. would require an expert of considerable skill to remove and then solder in a new chip perfectly.

finally theres the problem of finding a processor to put in.... not like you can buy them in pcworld! if you wanted a snapdragon cpu you would have to buy a snapdragon phone to use as a donor. very expensive way to upgrade a phone.

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
apart from the soldering out a smd cpu with tons of legs then
if the new faster cpu didn't use 100% the same wm driver it would require a new rom and the the device would not work with any rom but the one custom made for the newer cpu