How To Guide Changing your Refreshrate to 90hz.

Search This thread

hotto1996

Feb 1, 2019
If you want to change your Refreshrate to 90hz follow this quick guide.

Tested on the latest miui version.

First of all go to the Playstore and download following app:

Afterwards go to your settings and change your Refreshrate to 120.

Open the app and find the entry "user_refresh_rate" "120".
Click on the entry, choose to edit and change the number to 90.

Repeat this step with the peak entry and change it to 90hz too.
Close the app.

Voila: you running on 90hz now. In my opinion that's the sweetspot between snappiness and battery saving.

Props to jmikepr:
Unable to make this work. Tried it about a hundred times. Running. EU ROM 12.6

Edit: Got it to work by changing peak display setting and user display setting. Thanks for the tip. 120 hz is overkill. 90hz is perfect.

UPDATE PLEASE READ:

UPDATE FOR EVERYONE!

Changing your refreshrate to 90hz will make some crazy things to your display!

It will get a greenish tint !
Grey will also be displayed really red/brownish
It will flicker even on max brightness!
It will burn in faster - at least my new mi11 u has already some burn ins compared to my mi11 from CN which is like 3 months old now I don't know for sure tho! It's so minimal only my hawk eye can see it anybody else couldn't till now.

Sorry but I just found this out now because my colours looked to differently with low brightness. I also got an exchange device and thought it was just a bad display.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-29-20-59-40-189_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-29-20-59-40-189_com.android.chrome.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 2,518
  • Screenshot_2021-04-29-21-13-46-079_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-29-21-13-46-079_com.android.settings.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 2,513
  • Screenshot_2021-04-29-20-59-25-345_by4a.setedit22.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-29-20-59-25-345_by4a.setedit22.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 2,524
Last edited:

speedtripler

Aug 24, 2013
Not right now. Maybe I can find a way - I will let you know.
I read about a way, I think it was from another manufacturer , and it could lower the refresh rate down to 1hz when looking at a still image etc or a page of text etc , something that doesn't need to be constantly refreshed which would obviously be a major battery saver

If I can find the article again I'll post the link

Reactions: hotto1996

hotto1996

Feb 1, 2019
Yeah I think so too. I don't understand why everything needs to look fancy. I want a fast and snappy experience

jericho246

Dec 19, 2015
Great stuff, will definitely try this when my Mi 11 Ultra arrives. 90Hz is perfect for me, I don't need 120Hz as I don't play mobile games.
Anyone knows if it'll stay @ 90Hz after a software update? Or it will change itself back to 120Hz?

portamento

Jan 26, 2013
I read about a way, I think it was from another manufacturer , and it could lower the refresh rate down to 1hz when looking at a still image etc or a page of text etc , something that doesn't need to be constantly refreshed which would obviously be a major battery saver

Maybe you refer to OnePlus 9 Pro, that has stock dynamic refresh rate...:

Jhonxs

Apr 15, 2013
Thank you very much for the solution to change the refresh rate. It works perfectly.
Even if after the upgrade will revert to 120, you can change it afterwards very easy.

Cheers !

Reactions: jericho246

lebigmac

Account currently disabled
Jan 31, 2017
How to change refresh rate manually using only default.prop file? Thanks.

Jhonxs

Apr 15, 2013
One other cool thing I found.
If you set it to 90/90 ( user refresh/peak refresh) like instructed above, i saw that it also drops to 60 when seeing static web browser page content ( for example reading this forum pages ) which is actually pretty cool because it saves even more power this way.
Will test to see if it does the same with the default 120hz but i rear think 120hz is overkill for daily usage.
Only scenario where I can find it useful would be games that support 100hz plus refresh rates .

LE it would seem that the "dynamic" refresh only worked briefly until I clicked on the auto brightness icon in the drop down menu.

LE 2 it actually switching to 60hz when brightness is around and over 80% :)

Take care and thanks again !

Last edited:

hotto1996

Feb 1, 2019
If you set it to 90/90 ( user refresh/peak refresh) like instructed above, i saw that it also drops to 60 when seeing static web browser page content ( for example reading this forum pages ) which is actually pretty cool because it saves even more power this way.
Will test to see if it does the same with the default 120hz but i rear think 120hz is overkill for daily usage.
Only scenario where I can find it useful would be games that support 100hz plus refresh rates .

LE it would seem that the "dynamic" refresh only worked briefly until I clicked on the auto brightness icon in the drop down menu.

Thx for your reply. Did you already test it out? I was quite busy the last days - sorry for my late response.

Honestly 120hz are kinda gimmick right now. You can feel the difference but it's draining even more battery and like you said as long as there is near to no app supporting it it's just something to be proud of maybe haha

Best regards :)

Lol you already did test it out . sorry 🤣

Reactions: Jhonxs

Jhonxs

Apr 15, 2013
If anyone find a way to dynamically change the refresh rate please let us know.
For example when watching YT videos maxed at 60hz would be great to scale the display to that resolution ( if it's already possible please let me know :) )
I saw that the game "The elder scrools: Blades" automatically switches to 60Hz when playing ( haven't tested out with other games because i don't game that much ) .
Also i noted that, if, for whatever reason, the display doesn't change to 60HZ when the game needs it, the game will continuously load and never enter the actual first menu :)
A quick fix is to increase the brightness over 80% so that the screen is already at 60 before starting the game :p

Cheers !

Reactions: hotto1996

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you want to change your Refreshrate to 90hz follow this quick guide.

Tested on the latest miui version.

First of all go to the Playstore and download following app:

Afterwards go to your settings and change your Refreshrate to 120.

Open the app and find the entry "user_refresh_rate" "120".
    Click on the entry, choose to edit and change the number to 90.

Repeat this step with the peak entry and change it to 90hz too.
    Close the app.

Voila: you running on 90hz now. In my opinion that's the sweetspot between snappiness and battery saving.

Props to jmikepr:

Edit: Got it to work by changing peak display setting and user display setting. Thanks for the tip. 120 hz is overkill. 90hz is perfect.

UPDATE PLEASE READ:

UPDATE FOR EVERYONE!

Changing your refreshrate to 90hz will make some crazy things to your display!

It will get a greenish tint !
    Grey will also be displayed really red/brownish
    It will flicker even on max brightness!
    It will burn in faster - at least my new mi11 u has already some burn ins compared to my mi11 from CN which is like 3 months old now I don't know for sure tho! It's so minimal only my hawk eye can see it anybody else couldn't till now.

Sorry but I just found this out now because my colours looked to differently with low brightness. I also got an exchange device and thought it was just a bad display.

Thanks @speedtripler. I just disabled animations in developer options and it's like sh*t off a shovel!

Cheers

Steve

Maybe you refer to OnePlus 9 Pro, that has stock dynamic refresh rate...: