• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Charging issue

Search This thread

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Hey Guys,

Anyone else experience slow to almost non existent charging speed if the phone has been on for a few hours?
The only way it goes back to charging fast is if I restart the phone while its plugged into a charger.
I have tried using the stock charger and aftermarket ones and different cables as well. Makes no difference until restart.

Chime in if anyone has any idea whats happening and/or how to fix it.

PS: I am unlocked and rooted if that matters.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Is the screen off? Having the screen on during charging will skew the charge cycle.
Does it charge normally when shutdown?
Possible battery, charging port, or mobo failure.
Check phone for any signs of battery swelling.

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Is the screen off? Having the screen on during charging will skew the charge cycle.
Does it charge normally when shutdown?
Possible battery, charging port, or mobo failure.
Check phone for any signs of battery swelling.
Doesnt matter if the screen is on or off, I even left overnight and gained like 8% charge.
Battery seems to hold a charge fine, there is no swelling and discharge behavior is normal. Used to charge normally a few days ago.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Doesnt matter if the screen is on or off, I even left overnight and gained like 8% charge.
Battery seems to hold a charge fine, there is no swelling and discharge behavior is normal. Used to charge normally a few days ago.
SOT has it diminished significantly?
Charging at a start temperature above 72°F?
If so it sounds like a charge port or mobo failure... sorry.
Try clearing the system cache and a hard reboot.
Try toggling fast charging on/off 3 times.

morphius88

Dec 12, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Ill have to check the temp next time I am at room temp. I was playing some COD so I was over 80F when I started charging just now. Did not have to restart so maybe its good.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Ill have to check the temp next time I am at room temp. I was playing some COD so I was over 80F when I started charging just now. Did not have to restart so maybe its good.
Make sure the port is clean and free of debris.
Inspect and carefully clean* if needed with a toothbrush and a small amount of anhydrous isopropyl alcohol.
Lol, RO water if needed than the alcohol.
Allow to dry completely.

*I live in a dusty environment and even after 2 years never had to clean my C port. However my bdu cargo pants pockets are lint free, not all pants pockets are. In general these ports seem to stay clean but you know how that goes...

Evil_Sephiroth

Nov 4, 2010
Italy
Sony Xperia 1 III
Glad you fixed.

Btw maybe intelligent charging. If phone can't detect a time where you don't use it it have problem adapting charging speed. If you change everyday the moment you put it on charge better deactivate that option

Reactions: blackhawk

MK73DS

Dec 25, 2014
Asus ZenFone 2
Samsung Galaxy S7
If I may continue this thread, I have another question about the charging. Is it possible to disable fast charging?
I only charge at night so I don't need my phone to warm up from quick charge. On my old Samsung Galaxy Note 9 I could do it, but now I can't find the setting.
Thanks.

kevinmcmurtrie

Aug 22, 2015
The only harmful part of the charge cycle on this phone is the top-off, and you can adjust that. You could use a 5W charger but I doubt it would extend the life.

More beneficial is checking other threads for features that may drain (add wear to) the battery.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
If I may continue this thread, I have another question about the charging. Is it possible to disable fast charging?
I only charge at night so I don't need my phone to warm up from quick charge. On my old Samsung Galaxy Note 9 I could do it, but now I can't find the setting.
Thanks.
Simply use a 12 watt or less brick.
Fast charging needs a compatible 25w brick and cable (Samsung). In most phones it has to be enabled. Disabling fast charging is easy... enabling it sometimes is not🤣

MK73DS

Dec 25, 2014
Asus ZenFone 2
Samsung Galaxy S7
The only harmful part of the charge cycle on this phone is the top-off, and you can adjust that. You could use a 5W charger but I doubt it would extend the life.

More beneficial is checking other threads for features that may drain (add wear to) the battery.
Simply use a 12 watt or less brick.
Fast charging needs a compatible 25w brick and cable (Samsung). In most phones it has to be enabled. Disabling fast charging is easy... enabling it sometimes is not🤣
The whole point of having a feature is to use it when needed. If I am in a hurry I want to activate 30W charging with a single toggle in the settings. I don't have to bring two different power bricks, one 5W, one 30W, and manually switch between them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Glad you fixed.

Btw maybe intelligent charging. If phone can't detect a time where you don't use it it have problem adapting charging speed. If you change everyday the moment you put it on charge better deactivate that option