• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Charging speed

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
To power up, you consume Red Bull. But your phone just needs its adaptive fast charger. Rate this thread to express how quickly the Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018) can charge. A higher rating indicates that it charges extremely fast.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Reactions: AgentMyrie47

Belgarionbg

Mar 27, 2015
Now this is interesting.
I am using usb power meter alongside the supplied charger and cable in the box and I found that even after the phone showed 100% charge it continued to draw current (~300mAh) for another 20 minutes until stopped entirely.
So my total charge time from 0-100% was 2 hours and 44 minutes.
Also for the first ~60% charge the phone draw the full 1.55 amperes and after that gradually dropped down to 0.50 amperes.
While the charger runs little bit hot the phone was cold the entire time.

Last edited:

Belgarionbg

Mar 27, 2015
This is way too much. You have probably got defective charger/cable.

But! If you are trying to charge it from a pc then is normal as regular usb ports supply only 0.5A instead of the 1.55A from the original charger.

Belgarionbg

Mar 27, 2015
Nowadays chargers are basic inverters with few more stuff.
They have very few components inside but sometimes, usually after hard hitting/dropping on hard surfaces the soldering can get damaged with varying consequence between simply stopping working to working abnormally as lowering voltage, current, overloading and many other things.
For example I had a strange case with fully working charger with healthy components and solder joints but was working on random intervals. It was caused by solder whiskers touching nearby naked track and causing shorts. If it was cheaper charger it would blow, but in this one the overvolt protection was able to save it.

And this is why you can just buy usb power tester like this one
4SdCimJ.png

or even simpler like this one
v2gPhzE.jpg
so that you can check what kind of power your phone actually receive from charger/power bank/pc etc.

Our phone does not have fast charge. As such it will not charge faster no matter how powerful charger and cable you can equip it with. For example I have one with 2x2.4 Amperes supporting QC charger mods and etc. - it will draw only up to 1.55 Amperes within 5 Volts range.

The normal USB 2.0 port can supply with max 0.5 Amperes, USB 3.0 within the basic implementation can supply under 1 Ampere.
In simple language this means with usb 2 it would take up to 8 hours to charge from 0 to 100%, with usb 3 it would take about 4 hours and half from 0 to 100% battery.
Of course depending on the manufacturers you can find usb 3 and 3.1 ports that are able to supply way more current, even values like 3 Amperes and higher.

This is why the best way to charge your phone is to use the supplied charger. The cable is also very important because of the current depending on the used wire gauge.

With cheap cable (using thin wires) you would not only be unable to use the available current, you can find yourself in the middle of fire.
But there is a big problem, the price sometimes doesn`t represent the needed quality.
Notice I`m not talking about durability. I can show you cables strong enough to endure 10 kilograms but with so thin wires that can`t carry over 0,5A trough them.
Put your trust only on products that are widely commented and tested by the buyers.

Now, I have tested the cable supplied with the phone. Although it easily handles the 1.55A current used by the phone if you put over 2A it will get really, really warm. This means the wires are big enough but are not expected to handle high current. In simple words don`t use this cable for other things than charging this phone, just to be safe. ;)

=====================================
TLDR;
If you don`t have the necessary skills don`t try to repair it. Any repair error can easily make it burst in flames. Better try with another charger but make sure it can get you at least 1.5A otherwise it would take really long time to charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgentMyrie47

kamil79123

Oct 17, 2014
Bydgoszcz
Is there a way to charge faster? In my case I can charge my phone maximally at 5.19V / 1.42A. Charging from 0% to 100% phone with such parameters takes more than 3 hours, because amperage is adaptive.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now this is interesting.
    I am using usb power meter alongside the supplied charger and cable in the box and I found that even after the phone showed 100% charge it continued to draw current (~300mAh) for another 20 minutes until stopped entirely.
    So my total charge time from 0-100% was 2 hours and 44 minutes.
    Also for the first ~60% charge the phone draw the full 1.55 amperes and after that gradually dropped down to 0.50 amperes.
    While the charger runs little bit hot the phone was cold the entire time.
    To power up, you consume Red Bull. But your phone just needs its adaptive fast charger. Rate this thread to express how quickly the Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018) can charge. A higher rating indicates that it charges extremely fast.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
    From 8% to 100% mine takes an hour more or less
    Nowadays chargers are basic inverters with few more stuff.
    They have very few components inside but sometimes, usually after hard hitting/dropping on hard surfaces the soldering can get damaged with varying consequence between simply stopping working to working abnormally as lowering voltage, current, overloading and many other things.
    For example I had a strange case with fully working charger with healthy components and solder joints but was working on random intervals. It was caused by solder whiskers touching nearby naked track and causing shorts. If it was cheaper charger it would blow, but in this one the overvolt protection was able to save it.

And this is why you can just buy usb power tester like this one
    4SdCimJ.png

or even simpler like this one
    v2gPhzE.jpg
    so that you can check what kind of power your phone actually receive from charger/power bank/pc etc.

Our phone does not have fast charge. As such it will not charge faster no matter how powerful charger and cable you can equip it with. For example I have one with 2x2.4 Amperes supporting QC charger mods and etc. - it will draw only up to 1.55 Amperes within 5 Volts range.

The normal USB 2.0 port can supply with max 0.5 Amperes, USB 3.0 within the basic implementation can supply under 1 Ampere.
    In simple language this means with usb 2 it would take up to 8 hours to charge from 0 to 100%, with usb 3 it would take about 4 hours and half from 0 to 100% battery.
    Of course depending on the manufacturers you can find usb 3 and 3.1 ports that are able to supply way more current, even values like 3 Amperes and higher.

This is why the best way to charge your phone is to use the supplied charger. The cable is also very important because of the current depending on the used wire gauge.

With cheap cable (using thin wires) you would not only be unable to use the available current, you can find yourself in the middle of fire.
    But there is a big problem, the price sometimes doesn`t represent the needed quality.
    Notice I`m not talking about durability. I can show you cables strong enough to endure 10 kilograms but with so thin wires that can`t carry over 0,5A trough them.
    Put your trust only on products that are widely commented and tested by the buyers.

Now, I have tested the cable supplied with the phone. Although it easily handles the 1.55A current used by the phone if you put over 2A it will get really, really warm. This means the wires are big enough but are not expected to handle high current. In simple words don`t use this cable for other things than charging this phone, just to be safe. ;)

=====================================
    TLDR;
    If you don`t have the necessary skills don`t try to repair it. Any repair error can easily make it burst in flames. Better try with another charger but make sure it can get you at least 1.5A otherwise it would take really long time to charge.
    Is there a fast charger available for this phone??