• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Charging woes

Search This thread

keithy999

Mar 14, 2011
Help,

I have tried 3 different chargers (1 generic Anker, 1 supplied with Huawei P30 pro, and one supplied with Huawei mediapad tablet. none work :(

Nor does plugging into USB port on PC. I have tried various different cables to no avail. All cables work to charge P30 pro from its own charger @40 watts.

All chargers and USB port will charge the P30 pro

The only way I can get any juice at all into this bugger is by charging from the P30 pro directly.

I also noticed that the security update that installed last night took forever (roughly 4 hours) during 'optimising apps' phase.

Have tried factory reset too

I think I've got a dud

Chob77

Jan 22, 2010
Having the same problem. Pixel 6 regular edition. Will only charge when the phone is turned off.

keithy999

Mar 14, 2011
Having the same problem. Pixel 6 regular edition. Will only charge when the phone is turned off.
Mine wouldn't even charge when the phone was off. it would show the battery symbol with 'lightning' but wouldnt actually charge - you could see the battery level drop in this state

Google are not being helpful about getting a replacement or even admitting there's a fault yet. I might just send it back and get a refund :(

Chob77

Jan 22, 2010
Mine wouldn't even charge when the phone was off. it would show the battery symbol with 'lightning' but wouldnt actually charge - you could see the battery level drop in this state

Google are not being helpful about getting a replacement or even admitting there's a fault yet. I might just send it back and get a refund :(
I've figured out the problem. I have the P30 Pro charger and two Samsung chargers which are all USB A. None of them worked. What did work was a Huawei laptop USB C charger. It seems from reading elsewhere there's a good chance that USB A chargers won't work with the Pixel.

I thought Google hadn't included a charger with the Pixel for environmental reasons. Seems like many people will be forced to buy a new charger for their Pixel, thus defeating the point.

Reactions: keithy999

keithy999

Mar 14, 2011
I've figured out the problem. I have the P30 Pro charger and two Samsung chargers which are all USB A. None of them worked. What did work was a Huawei laptop USB C charger. It seems from reading elsewhere there's a good chance that USB A chargers won't work with the Pixel.

I thought Google hadn't included a charger with the Pixel for environmental reasons. Seems like many people will be forced to buy a new charger for their Pixel, thus defeating the point.
I'll try my Lenovo USB C charger. thanks I'll let you know!

keithy999

Mar 14, 2011

Blimey, that works. I'm a little annoyed I can't just plug it into my PC and slowly charge it overnight. but this saves the hassle of dealing with Googles useless support. Indeed the 'help article' I was directed to says to plug it into a PC as part of the fault finding.

Will anyone else's Pixel 6 (non pro) charge from PC USB connection??

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018

It was probably a huge mistake for them to not include a charger with it.

rogosteve

Dec 17, 2010
Toronto
Blimey, that works. I'm a little annoyed I can't just plug it into my PC and slowly charge it overnight. but this saves the hassle of dealing with Googles useless support. Indeed the 'help article' I was directed to says to plug it into a PC as part of the fault finding.

Don't believe buddy above. This is not normal. Every phone I've ever had with usb-c works with a usb-a to usb-c cable. It charges and transfers data just fine. I also use one on my car stereo to phone for Android auto. Your phone is a dud. Get a replacement.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Don't believe buddy above. This is not normal. Every phone I've ever had with usb-c works with a usb-a to usb-c cable. It charges and transfers data just fine. I also use one on my car stereo to phone for Android auto. Your phone is a dud. Get a replacement.

The guy above didn't say it wouldn't charge at all with a regular charger or wire. He said for ***fastest charging possible*** you need PD3.

rogosteve

Dec 17, 2010
Toronto
The guy above didn't say it wouldn't charge at all with a regular charger or wire. He said for ***fastest charging possible*** you need PD3.

There is more than one guy above. The one I am referring to is quoted above for your viewing pleasure.

keithy999

Mar 14, 2011
Hi, just to confirm, my Pixel 6 will only charge from USB-C charger. I was hoping if someone could confirm whetehr theirs charges from a PC with USB-A to USB-C cable.

I admit it doesn't sound right that this won't work

Thanks

mockabar

Sep 21, 2008

Mine does fast charge from the laptop USB-C connector, or even directly from the laptop power brick. The laptop is an Asus rog x 13 flow. If I am not wrong, in order to fast charge, your source has to support usb pd pps.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I'm sitting at work and my P6 charges just fine with a wall wart and a USB-A to USB-C cord. Not only that, but it's an LG wall wart that I have probably had since my LG G3 days (a long, long time ago). So even old power supplies will work.

If your phone isn't charging from a computer USB port, I suspect it is because of the amount of power being supplied by the laptop over the USB port. It's not a built in limitation of the phone however.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
so do we have any charger recommendations? the 3 i tried, after processing through AMERE, they are topping out at 15w-18w...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think I've got a dud

It sure sounds that way.

yes, your charger needs to support PD 3.0 PPS charging to get the fastest charging possible on the pixels
    Hi, just to confirm, my Pixel 6 will only charge from USB-C charger. I was hoping if someone could confirm whetehr theirs charges from a PC with USB-A to USB-C cable.

I admit it doesn't sound right that this won't work

Thanks
    Mine charges without any issue at a PC with USB-A to USB-C cable from Anker.