• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CHAT] HD10 (2017) - custom ROM brainstorming:

Search This thread

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
With HD10 (2017) unlock/TWRP available - link (thanks to @k4y0z!!!), the next natural question is a custom ROM. The subject may turn out to be slightly trickier than what appears at first sight.

Let's have a discussion thread to brainstorm on this and not wonder off-topic in other places.

I had seen @DragonFire1024 & @Rortiz2 tried to work on that, so feel free to chime in as necessary.

What we have:
HD10 (2017) chipset - MT8173 (2+2 cores), there is an beefier brother to it, MT8176 (2+4 cores). For most practical purposes both chipsets seem almost identical software-wise.

MT8173 was introduced in March 2015 (time of Lollipop domination - Android 5). MT8176 was introduced in October 2016 (getting toward Nougat - Android 7).

The efforts up to date on a custom ROM for this chipset appear to be by @Goayandi, who is still active on XDA, so his work could be used a starting point. I believe @Goayandi was working on Android 7 (Nougat). Here are some of the original links:
XDA : Mediatek MT8173 & MT8176 development
Reddit: Mediatek MT8173 & MT8176 development

Stuff from Amazon for MT8173 (both HD10 2017 and FireTV2) is Lollipop-vintage (Android 5), other devices with these chipsets seem to have reached Nougat (Android 7). It does not appear that there is any known MT8173/MT8176 device with Android 8, or 9 (or is there?). It seems that @diplomatic has an Asus like this with Nougat.

At the moment, it feels a a Nougat custom ROM might be the ceiling for the device, given the difficulties of finding proprietary pieces for MTK chipsets to get Android 8 or 9 going. Now, even Android 7 is still a bit of a challenge, given limited prior success.

More thoughts/ideas? Feel free to fill this thread with random thoughts as much as you want - that's what it's for!!! :D

I'm really looking forward to an AOSP experience on this tablet, to be honest. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

As long as I can set up everything properly I'm ready to go. I've managed to get past script issues I think. I can get it to flash and it boots to the orange fire logo and sits for eternity. This was the same result pre and post TWRP. So at this point it's probably the installation and improper setup of the tree and files. If someone can point me to a guide or give me instructions on how to add support to my AOSP working directory, that would be great. This bit of the leg work is hard as there really aren't any guides that are detailed enough or that work anymore.

Secondly, I think if we are going to use a kernel, we either use the 7.0 source, or just use the kit I have to build our own. Amazon cherry picked the crap out of the kernel practically to the bare bones, so I think expanding from it is just a waste of time, especially since we have the kit that does a lot of the work for us, including providing signatures and the tools to sign etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab3 Lite 7.0 using XDA Labs

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

k4y0z

Nov 27, 2015
As long as I can set up everything properly I'm ready to go. I've managed to get past script issues I think. I can get it to flash and it boots to the orange fire logo and sits for eternity. This was the same result pre and post TWRP. So at this point it's probably the installation and improper setup of the tree and files. If someone can point me to a guide or give me instructions on how to add support to my AOSP working directory, that would be great. This bit of the leg work is hard as there really aren't any guides that are detailed enough or that work anymore.

Secondly, I think if we are going to use a kernel, we either use the 7.0 source, or just use the kit I have to build our own. Amazon cherry picked the crap out of the kernel practically to the bare bones, so I think expanding from it is just a waste of time, especially since we have the kit that does a lot of the work for us, including providing signatures and the tools to sign etc.

So did you end up successfully unbricking your device?
I did share working amazon kernel sources in the HD-10 Unlock thread.
They worked well in my tree to compile TWRP.

bibikalka

May 14, 2015

Sorry for being out of the loop - were those kernel sources for Lollipop? Or does it even matter at all - meaning they would be good to go with newer Android versions as well.

Could you link to those posts in here?

k4y0z

Nov 27, 2015
Sorry for being out of the loop - were those kernel sources for Lollipop? Or does it even matter at all - meaning they would be good to go with newer Android versions as well.

They will likely need some patches to work with newer versions, but it's a good start I'd say.
It's the most recent version amazon has published.

I am working on it as we speak. I downloaded the zip from the second post in this thread, 1.1. extracted and ran sudo ./bootrom-step.sh. said it can't find build/payload directory it doesn't exist. So I assume I use that folder from the other unbricking thread copy it to yours? Assuming its a yes to that question, I keep getting the serial port errors. I also had to delete a setting in udev (this was my own addition to it) and rebooted PC. Now I am having a cigarette. When I do it again, if I still get serial port errors, time to try each of the 8 or 10 other ports on the PC.

Sent from my MotoG3 using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

The one I have and provided is a source to 7.0. looks nicely stocked.

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
With HD10 (2017) unlock/TWRP available - link (thanks to @k4y0z!!!), the next natural question is a custom ROM. The subject may turn out to be slightly trickier than what appears at first sight.

Let's have a discussion thread to brainstorm on this and not wonder off-topic in other places.

I had seen @DragonFire1024 & @Rortiz2 tried to work on that, so feel free to chime in as necessary.

What we have:
HD10 (2017) chipset - MT8173 (2+2 cores), there is an beefier brother to it, MT8176 (2+4 cores). For most practical purposes both chipsets seem almost identical software-wise.

MT8173 was introduced in March 2015 (time of Lollipop domination - Android 5). MT8176 was introduced in October 2016 (getting toward Nougat - Android 7).

The efforts up to date on a custom ROM for this chipset appear to be by @Goayandi, who is still active on XDA, so his work could be used a starting point. I believe @Goayandi was working on Android 7 (Nougat). Here are some of the original links:
XDA : Mediatek MT8173 & MT8176 development
Reddit: Mediatek MT8173 & MT8176 development

Stuff from Amazon for MT8173 (both HD10 2017 and FireTV2) is Lollipop-vintage (Android 5), other devices with these chipsets seem to have reached Nougat (Android 7). It does not appear that there is any known MT8173/MT8176 device with Android 8, or 9 (or is there?). It seems that @diplomatic has an Asus like this with Nougat.

At the moment, it feels a a Nougat custom ROM might be the ceiling for the device, given the difficulties of finding proprietary pieces for MTK chipsets to get Android 8 or 9 going. Now, even Android 7 is still a bit of a challenge, given limited prior success.

More thoughts/ideas? Feel free to fill this thread with random thoughts as much as you want - that's what it's for!!! :D

Hi bibikalka,
Very good idea this thread.
What you can do, is to port a port a ROM of another MT8173 tablet to the FIRE HD10 2017.
This works and I have tested it on my BQ Aquaris M8 (MT8163) it has a similar MTK so I guess it will work. I have ported for example a ROM of an asus zenpad that uses MT8163 and at least the rom boots.
BTW: Oreo on MT8176: https://www.xda-developers.com/alldocube-x-10-5-inch-android-8-1-oreo/

Last edited:
Reactions: bibikalka

k4y0z

Nov 27, 2015
I am working on it as we speak. I downloaded the zip from the second post in this thread, 1.1. extracted and ran sudo ./bootrom-step.sh. said it can't find build/payload directory it doesn't exist. So I assume I use that folder from the other unbricking thread copy it to yours? Assuming its a yes to that question, I keep getting the serial port errors. I also had to delete a setting in udev (this was my own addition to it) and rebooted PC. Now I am having a cigarette. When I do it again, if I still get serial port errors, time to try each of the 8 or 10 other ports on the PC.

Apparently I forgot to add the right files.
give me a moment.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

I have fixed the upload, please use amonet-suez-v1.1.1.zip

The one I have and provided is a source to 7.0. looks nicely stocked.
But these aren't amazon sources are they?
They probably are missing some drivers then.
But if they are for mt8173 they could be used as a source to patch the amazon-sources.

Reactions: shogunreaper
Apparently I forgot to add the right files.
give me a moment.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

I have fixed the upload, please use amonet-suez-v1.1.1.zip

But these aren't amazon sources are they?
They probably are missing some drivers then.
But if they are for mt8173 they could be used as a source to patch the amazon-sources.

I'll provide a link in a few. Trying your fix now.

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Hi bibikalka,
Very good idea this thread.
What you can do, is to port a port a ROM of another MT8173 tablet to the FIRE HD10 2017.
This works and I have tested it on my BQ Aquaris M8 (MT8163) it has a similar MTK so I guess it will work. I have ported for example a ROM of an asus zenpad that uses MT8163 and at least the rom boots.
BTW: Oreo on MT8176: https://www.xda-developers.com/alldocube-x-10-5-inch-android-8-1-oreo/

Excellent find! Here is a review link:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ge...ldocube-x-review-media-playback-king-t3902539

Alldocube X kind of has 2x of everything compared to HD10 2017, but at 2x price ;) I wonder how fast Oreo would be on HD10 and if 2Gb of RAM would cut it. But this is definitely the device to copy if one wants latest and greatest!

And here is a thread with misc download links for ROMs:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ge...n/10-5-inch-super-amoled-2560-x-1600-t3821327

Last edited:
Reactions: SlinkyMalinky

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
Excellent find! Here is a review link:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ge...ldocube-x-review-media-playback-king-t3902539

Alldocube X kind of has 2x of everything compared to HD10 2017, but at 2x price ;) I wonder how fast Oreo would be on HD10 and if 2Gb of RAM would cut it. But this is definitely the device to copy if one wants latest and greatest!

And here is a thread with misc download links for ROMs:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ge...n/10-5-inch-super-amoled-2560-x-1600-t3821327

I will try to port lineage 15.1 but the safest thing is that it will not work.
I have also ported an AOSP Rom for anyone who wants to try it. Tomorrow I will give more info.

Last edited:

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
I will try to port lineage 15.1 but the safest thing is that it will not work.
I have also ported an AOSP Rom for anyone who wants to try it. Tomorrow I will give more info.

This is great news! I am eagerly awaiting more info about this AOSP ROM

Alright, we have both an eager developer, and a tester!!! Just remember, avoid bricking ! :D

Very recently (March 2019) @wangyiling seems to have put together a LineageOS 15.1 ROM for MT8173/8176 - link, so hopefully we can re-purpose that for HD10. It's great to have an active developer elsewhere looking at the same thing!

It feels that if there is at least something that boots the kernel, it'd be a huge step forward.

Alright, we have both an eager developer, and a tester!!! Just remember, avoid bricking ! :D

Very recently (March 2019) @wangyiling seems to have put together a LineageOS 15.1 ROM for MT8173/8176 - link, so hopefully we can re-purpose that for HD10. It's great to have an active developer elsewhere looking at the same thing!

It feels that if there is at least something that boots the kernel, it'd be a huge step forward.

If my testing on ROMs caused my brick, we have to be careful. I've been testing and flashing test ROMs for months now and never bricked like this. I think I may know what happened and if I'm right, I'm not sure what effect if any this will have on flashing a rom. According to the fstab.mt8173 file in the root directory, the partitions we flash for a rom, aren't part of the EMMC: data, system, cache are all ext4. All other partitions are however EMMC. So if I recall correctly, I did list the system as EMMC in the build script, but did intend to remove it. I made a last minute adjustment to the script and didn't change that part though.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78542898&postcount=618

Rortiz2

Mar 1, 2018
Barcelona
AOSP ROM TEST 1 (suez)

Ok guys so here's the first test for the AOSP ROM.
First of all, I am not responsible for bricked devices. It is you who decides to try the ROM without knowing if it will work because it is a TEST.
DOWNLOAD: Removed
INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
- Boot TWRP
- Make NANDROID BACKUP
- Make wipes
- Format data
- Install ROM
- Reboot
Please. If the installation fails, send the errors and if the ROM starts, comment on the bugs.
Regards!

Last edited:

tylerhole

Feb 22, 2017
San Luis Obispo

First of all, I am not responsible for bricked devices. It is you who decides to try the ROM without knowing if it will work because it is a TEST.

DOWNLOAD: https://mega.nz/#!C5dEQIKR!14BcGTiaT-xsrPUc-AxmWrTLj92Y5A2VgeNX2VA1uUE

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

- Boot TWRP

- Make NANDROID BACKUP

- Make wipes

- Format data

- Install ROM

- Reboot

Please. If the installation fails, send the errors and if the ROM starts, comment on the bugs.

Regards!
Sounds good to me. Won't have a chance till later this afternoon/evening to give it a whirl, but when I do I'll definitely share my results and any information that may be useful. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G9650/DS running stang5litre Pie ROM

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
DOWNLOAD: https://mega.nz/#!C5dEQIKR!14BcGTiaT-xsrPUc-AxmWrTLj92Y5A2VgeNX2VA1uUE

Which AOSP version is this? Could you try that Oreo Lineage stuff from @wangyiling at some point as well?

One of these days we'll have a ROM developer and a tester within the same person :D Too bad we've lost @DragonFire1024 since his tablet got bricked :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just dropping this here...
    what is the ouput of the mount command??
    Would mount -o remount, rw work to see if it is possible to write through at all?

Just a thought doesn't happen to be permission issue within one of the XML files? because that's what it sounds like it sounds like the permissions wasn't added to the platform XML in etc/permissions/platform.xml.

Neither of that was the issue, I think it's just that using FUSE for internal storage isn't really supported on Pie.
    So I ditched the idea altogether and went ahead and merged SDCARDFS into the kernel.
    We now have full SDCARDFS-support which also solves the mounting and permission issues => Downloading files works now.
    I have also changed the brand to google and indeed the play-certification issue has disappeared.

I do not recommend to flash gapps beside the rom.
    This isn't something lineage related. You simply can't use Google services if ur device is not certified.
    If u want to use them anyway then check out microG.

With this build I flashed open_gapps-arm64-9.0-pico-20190706.zip which worked fine.
    There is probably lots of proprietary stuff that can be removed from the build, so we can flash larger gapps in the future.

Check out the new build:
    lineage-16.0-20190706-UNOFFICIAL-suez.zip
    Guys, I am following this thread for quite a while and I have the feeling it is getting somewhat emotional now.
    From my point of view, "learning" is something totally individual so please do it the way it suits you best :)
    I am impressed of all the time and passion DragonFire puts into this project, so please keep going :good:

By the way, I am willing to contribute somehow. I would like to reproduce your build, but some things are not clear to me or are scattered around this thread. It would be nice to have a compilation of what your have right now:
    - Which kernel source(s) did you use and did you merge them to upstream?
    - Which module(s sources) did you enable/use for build?
    - Which environment options or arguments did you use for build?
    - Any further steps to bring the kernel into the ROM.
    I have some good hardware around and some really nice collegues which might support me to reproduce your build.
    If this question is out of scope or just too much to answer, please ignore this post.

Here are the sources I have. If anyone can expand on them...
    TWRP device tree for Amazon Fire HD10 (2017) https://github.com/chaosmaster/android_device_amazon_suez
    Kernel source https://github.com/chaosmaster/android_kernel_amazon_suez and https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202194760
    MT8173 Source https://github.com/Goayandi/mediatek_mt8176_development
    Device tree https://github.com/488315/android_device_amazon_suez/tree/cm-14.1
    Proprietary https://github.com/488315/android_vendor_amazon_suez
    Kernel patches https://github.com/488315/Linux-Patches
    Possible portable ROM, stock Hi9 tablet (nearly identical to our build) android 7.0 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mneBbR8eYceXrqxgVbBa6bBLZm7J7NTp/view?usp=sharing
    MT8173 Kit to make an LK, bootloader, preloader and boot.img https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i_xcl1RQwHJVLBvX3uDVFlcddcaLp8mf/view?usp=sharing

I'll upload to github what I have been working on in terms of a ROM. I am reformatting my make files (they were bad) and it will take a hot minute.
    Just giving a general update. I am almost done reformatting the makefile(s). There's a lot we have to import from the vendor area. and again because a profile to this extent has not existed for this device I'm stuck with making it all from scratch.

There were some other things that I wanted to see if I can add in terms of mediatek proprietary applications that will allow for certain features to exist on a possible lollipop ROM that would not otherwise exist on a lollipop ROM. For some reason, in all the sources we have for this particular mediatek device, they do not seem to contain their proprietary applications, aside from ones that would normally be in the LK (fastboot et Al). That will take a minimum amount of time to add the device make file. The longest process is just simply adding all the lines of all the enormous amount of stuff we have to import from the rest of vendor. It weren't for that this would have been done long ago.

Now that I have the next few days off I can focus on finishing that up and and making sure everything is in place to try another build.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs
    I have a good feeling about this build. It's going to actually finish this time....the rom that is. I have no idea how long it has left to build but it's not long.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs