• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CHAT] HD10 (2017) - custom ROM brainstorming:

Search This thread
any chance that the original pie rom that was being worked on could be fixed with the help of https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/rom-lineage-17-1-t4134829?

There are than just a few little things wrong with it. A lot of things don't work like the camera and the headphone jack, video issues with codecs, animation issues, rendering issues which in some cases make up look like the screen is messed up when it really isn't. So far as I know there was only one version made of pie for this device. If anyone tried to work on it or update it on their own, I don't know. In regards to some of the hardware issues, in order to see why some things don't work you have to go on order and do the process of elimination and figure out what's compatible and what's not in terms of the code. For example on this very tablet I am replying to you on, the Google Nexus 10, NFC and the camera cease to function after Android 6 (marshmallow) because of incompatibilities in the hardware code which have not been updated for several years so I am hunting down each error and attempting to correct them as I go.Unless you have a quick fix this could be a very tedious and long process, assuming it can even be fixed.

Sent from my Google Nexus 10 using XDA Labs

Reactions: DB126

azuremoonbeam

Jun 6, 2015
i was thinking if people waaaaay smarter than me was to look at the new pie rom i linked for hd8 and could see where amazon moved stuff to work in there version since i think that hd8 is based on a fire version of pie that was how the where able to update it to los 17.1... specially you DragonFire1024 since you where trying to figure out where to code files to work where amazon put them so you could succsefully compile your rom and kernal.... like reverse engenier... (i suck at spelling)...

There are than just a few little things wrong with it. A lot of things don't work like the camera and the headphone jack, video issues with codecs, animation issues, rendering issues which in some cases make up look like the screen is messed up when it really isn't. So far as I know there was only one version made of pie for this device. If anyone tried to work on it or update it on their own, I don't know. In regards to some of the hardware issues, in order to see why some things don't work you have to go on order and do the process of elimination and figure out what's compatible and what's not in terms of the code. For example on this very tablet I am replying to you on, the Google Nexus 10, NFC and the camera cease to function after Android 6 (marshmallow) because of incompatibilities in the hardware code which have not been updated for several years so I am hunting down each error and attempting to correct them as I go.Unless you have a quick fix this could be a very tedious and long process, assuming it can even be fixed.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
i was thinking if people waaaaay smarter than me was to look at the new pie rom i linked for hd8 and could see where amazon moved stuff to work in there version since i think that hd8 is based on a fire version of pie that was how the where able to update it to los 17.1... specially you DragonFire1024 since you where trying to figure out where to code files to work where amazon put them so you could succsefully compile your rom and kernal.... like reverse engenier... (i suck at spelling)...
It's all about the kernel which generally isn't open source and always hardware specific unless packaged otherwise (which it usually isn't). As Dragon pointed out, high effort with good chance of poor outcomes. Best suited to someone with waaaay too much time on their hands.

It's all about the kernel which generally isn't open source and always hardware specific unless packaged otherwise (which it usually isn't). As Dragon pointed out, high effort with good chance of poor outcomes. Best suited to someone with waaaay too much time on their hands.

The kernel in which Amazon did a good job at butchering. Nonetheless, the hardware code on devices especially lower end ones often is neglected and isn't regularly updated. Therefore hardware code becomes "incompatible" with the software code. This isn't so much about smarts as its More of we weren't given the entire source code by Amazon. I don't understand why given as far as I can tell, and I have pretty much dissected the HD 10 as much as it can be which reminds me to post an image of a piece of computer board I found underneath one of the severely busted monitors on the HD-10s I own, Amazon doesn't own any of the hardware on these devices. so why they're fiddling around with removing bits of source code that's not theirs I will never begin to understand and don't really want to in this case. In this specific case, unless somebody like @ggow Can figure it out just by chance, and buy a lot of time of just reading code over and over and seeing the same things across your screen until it makes sense, Android 9 is going to be way too far out of reach for these tablets. At least in my opinion too far out of reach to make even the average person happy enough.

I am just finishing some work on a Walmart tablet that I inherited. It's a shame that we can't find some way to activate treble on these HD 10s or any of the Amazon tablets. Is that what allow us to modify and flash a generic system image or GSI with virtually no hardware problems. Those Walmart tablets are also MediaTek, and I have been flashing this tablet with dozens of system images over the past week trying to get just a couple to work (when I say work I mean boot) before I finally had success with everything workingincluding the camera and headphone jack and audio and video. That would make life so much easier for developers and with a lot less chance of having broken things.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
The kernel in which Amazon did a good job at butchering.
Amazon customizes for the target audience which is decidedly not Android enthusiasts looking for an all purpose gizmo to hack. They have no obligation to release source code other than FireOS which is a Android fork. Walmart Onn series is a better fit for tinkers; very workable within the confines of code base which is largely generic. Oh yeah, no source code there either.

Amazon customizes for the target audience which is decidedly not Android enthusiasts looking for an all purpose gizmo to hack. They have no obligation to release source code other than FireOS which is a Android fork. Walmart Onn series is a better fit for tinkers; very workable within the confines of code base which is largely generic. Oh yeah, no source code there either.

Yes I know I know. My point is if you're not going to release the entire code why release part of it? Just don't release any of it. And if you're going to release some of it, don't butcher it otherwise there's just no point. Treble would do wonders for these devices. And would solve almost all of those hardware issues we have on newer ROMs for these. But I digress and onwards we move.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Yes I know I know. My point is if you're not going to release the entire code why release part of it? Just don't release any of it. And if you're going to release some of it, don't butcher it otherwise there's just no point. Treble would do wonders for these devices. And would solve almost all of those hardware issues we have on newer ROMs for these. But I digress and onwards we move.
Unfortunately, that's not the way the world works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just dropping this here...
    what is the ouput of the mount command??
    Would mount -o remount, rw work to see if it is possible to write through at all?

Just a thought doesn't happen to be permission issue within one of the XML files? because that's what it sounds like it sounds like the permissions wasn't added to the platform XML in etc/permissions/platform.xml.

Neither of that was the issue, I think it's just that using FUSE for internal storage isn't really supported on Pie.
    So I ditched the idea altogether and went ahead and merged SDCARDFS into the kernel.
    We now have full SDCARDFS-support which also solves the mounting and permission issues => Downloading files works now.
    I have also changed the brand to google and indeed the play-certification issue has disappeared.

I do not recommend to flash gapps beside the rom.
    This isn't something lineage related. You simply can't use Google services if ur device is not certified.
    If u want to use them anyway then check out microG.

With this build I flashed open_gapps-arm64-9.0-pico-20190706.zip which worked fine.
    There is probably lots of proprietary stuff that can be removed from the build, so we can flash larger gapps in the future.

Check out the new build:
    lineage-16.0-20190706-UNOFFICIAL-suez.zip
    Guys, I am following this thread for quite a while and I have the feeling it is getting somewhat emotional now.
    From my point of view, "learning" is something totally individual so please do it the way it suits you best :)
    I am impressed of all the time and passion DragonFire puts into this project, so please keep going :good:

By the way, I am willing to contribute somehow. I would like to reproduce your build, but some things are not clear to me or are scattered around this thread. It would be nice to have a compilation of what your have right now:
    - Which kernel source(s) did you use and did you merge them to upstream?
    - Which module(s sources) did you enable/use for build?
    - Which environment options or arguments did you use for build?
    - Any further steps to bring the kernel into the ROM.
    I have some good hardware around and some really nice collegues which might support me to reproduce your build.
    If this question is out of scope or just too much to answer, please ignore this post.

Here are the sources I have. If anyone can expand on them...
    TWRP device tree for Amazon Fire HD10 (2017) https://github.com/chaosmaster/android_device_amazon_suez
    Kernel source https://github.com/chaosmaster/android_kernel_amazon_suez and https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202194760
    MT8173 Source https://github.com/Goayandi/mediatek_mt8176_development
    Device tree https://github.com/488315/android_device_amazon_suez/tree/cm-14.1
    Proprietary https://github.com/488315/android_vendor_amazon_suez
    Kernel patches https://github.com/488315/Linux-Patches
    Possible portable ROM, stock Hi9 tablet (nearly identical to our build) android 7.0 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mneBbR8eYceXrqxgVbBa6bBLZm7J7NTp/view?usp=sharing
    MT8173 Kit to make an LK, bootloader, preloader and boot.img https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i_xcl1RQwHJVLBvX3uDVFlcddcaLp8mf/view?usp=sharing

I'll upload to github what I have been working on in terms of a ROM. I am reformatting my make files (they were bad) and it will take a hot minute.
    Just giving a general update. I am almost done reformatting the makefile(s). There's a lot we have to import from the vendor area. and again because a profile to this extent has not existed for this device I'm stuck with making it all from scratch.

There were some other things that I wanted to see if I can add in terms of mediatek proprietary applications that will allow for certain features to exist on a possible lollipop ROM that would not otherwise exist on a lollipop ROM. For some reason, in all the sources we have for this particular mediatek device, they do not seem to contain their proprietary applications, aside from ones that would normally be in the LK (fastboot et Al). That will take a minimum amount of time to add the device make file. The longest process is just simply adding all the lines of all the enormous amount of stuff we have to import from the rest of vendor. It weren't for that this would have been done long ago.

Now that I have the next few days off I can focus on finishing that up and and making sure everything is in place to try another build.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs
    I have a good feeling about this build. It's going to actually finish this time....the rom that is. I have no idea how long it has left to build but it's not long.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs