Check out the new XDA app! Let us know what you think [App rolling out now]

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
For in app dark theme... Click your profile pic -> Settings -> Preferences and Notifications
Ah yes! Can't believe I forgot/missed that!

Found settings again now. 😃 ... Looking Great again too! (not a comment on modern America...)

As before, got it working again by toggling off Use System Settings, then toggling on Dark theme before switching between Style options and clicking Save in Preferences and Notifications. 👍 PW

Reactions: Lz3807775t

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
A few days ago my XDA app stopped loading any pages. Clearing app data didn't fix it either (surprisingly), so I uninstalled and reinstalled, which brought it back.

Interestingly, I was previously using dark theme, which I liked (one of the good things about XDA app). But after reinstalling, I can no longer find Theme or Dark mode settings anywhere! ☹

Is this a change? (Is Dark setting the reason app stopped functioning?) Where are the settings now?; have I simply misplaced them or are the gone now?

I loved reading light text on dark, and am now avoiding app partly as I have dark mode in browser, and white background is tiresome... ☹ PW
Light/Dark Theme

Reactions: pndwal

Hausemaster

Dec 2, 2020
Bug report: I have notifications for the XDA app disabled, everytime I open the app, it displays a pop-up where it says "Alert! You must allow notifications to continue" it has an 'OK' button, pressing it will get rid of the popup, but this happens everytime, so, that's why I'm reporting this, it's not anything major, it's just a minor bug... (It doesn't interfere with the app's function, so, it can be gradually fixed...)

shinobisoft

Recognized Contributor
Feb 18, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Bug report: I have notifications for the XDA app disabled, everytime I open the app, it displays a pop-up where it says "Alert! You must allow notifications to continue" it has an 'OK' button, pressing it will get rid of the popup, but this happens everytime, so, that's why I'm reporting this, it's not anything major, it's just a minor bug... (It doesn't interfere with the app's function, so, it can be gradually fixed...)
I'd double check to make sure Notifications are in fact turned off. My notifications are off and I don't have the behavior you described...

asripath

Jul 12, 2020
Same here.

Turned off Notifications within App and through Settings.
Get the Alert every time App is opened.

One reason why it might be appearing is because,
Cannot turn off Mobile App Push in
Account->Preferences->Receive a notification when someone...

It always reverts back to On after save,
whether you do the changes through browser or within app.

btonetbone

May 15, 2008
Is there any way to make it so we can launch another browser when clicking a forum link to an external site? I'd much rather be able to use the full version of Chrome or another browser of my choice than the one built-in to the app.

Reactions: BillGoss

NickosD

Feb 1, 2013
Amintaio - Divice: 1+1
May I ask what's your goal with the app? It's been like a month or 2 since release and a lot of stuff is just broken. (like sometimes it won't load so I have to clear storage). First of all, what app is using browser Auth to connect to an app?
Secondly, the app is extremely slow, disfuctional to the user (more button to find the watched threads rather have them open straight up), no option (STILL) to go to the first unread message of a thread and a preview thread option that is an extra step (yes I know you can disable it), opening an image/link and pressing back just yeet you out of the thread and not back to the post you were viewing etc...

I'm disappointed with this app. I'm still not able to understand why to discontinue the xda labs which is was way easier to navigate and more fluid and smooth. Why waste 3 years of development and choose to update the old app.

Really I just wanted right now to check other members if they have battery issues with s10+ and Android 11 update, and after having to clear storage, and go to settings to disable the preview, and going to thread only to realize that I'm on the first page and I don't remember in which page I was, I lost my interest in that.

Guess reddit it is.

Edit: it's positive that now the reactions notifications opens the post instead of the 1st page of thread. So I guess smth was fixed all this time

Attachments

Last edited:

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Tried the app several times since the migration.

It has promise but I think it's moved so far away from what XDA looks like and feels like, it's like a Reddit clone, the swipe left right gestures are pointless and if you're using gestures for your phone you can't get out of the gestures menu.

For me the mobile browser version works just about perfect, if this could be made into an app and streamlined with usage of your own browser I think you'd be into a winner.

As it stands I would put the mobile browser version light years ahead.

PS: I know you're still working things out but I'd rather be bluntly honest than sugar coat it

Attachments

Reactions: Nokono and Fen-X

Hari Nguyen

Feb 2, 2017
May I ask what's your goal with the app? It's been like a month or 2 since release and a lot of stuff is just broken. (like sometimes it won't load so I have to clear storage). First of all, what app is using browser Auth to connect to an app?
Secondly, the app is extremely slow, disfuctional to the user (more button to find the watched threads rather have them open straight up), no option (STILL) to go to the first unread message of a thread and a preview thread option that is an extra step (yes I know you can disable it), opening an image/link and pressing back just yeet you out of the thread and not back to the post you were viewing etc...

I'm disappointed with this app. I'm still not able to understand why to discontinue the xda labs which is was way easier to navigate and more fluid and smooth. Why waste 3 years of development and choose to update the old app.

Really I just wanted right now to check other members if they have battery issues with s10+ and Android 11 update, and after having to clear storage, and go to settings to disable the preview, and going to thread only to realize that I'm on the first page and I don't remember in which page I was, I lost my interest in that.

Guess reddit it is.

Edit: it's positive that now the reactions notifications opens the post instead of the 1st page of thread. So I guess smth was fixed all this time
That because new app writen in react native and expo (which suck btw) not native java or kotlin, it did lower the cost in the way that one source work on both ios and android but still 😐 in my view new app just a wraper around webview, not call xda api directly, that might be because the migration not yet finished but will see in next update

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
That because new app writen in react native and expo (which suck btw) not native java or kotlin, it did lower the cost in the way that one source work on both ios and android but still 😐 in my view new app just a wraper around webview, not call xda api directly, that might be because the migration not yet finished but will see in next update
No that's because the app was designed badly and written worse..

I agree

Last edited:
Reactions: Nokono

malerocks

Mar 6, 2018

Guess reddit it is.

My guess is that they weren't ready with the app. But a number of people started asking for the app the moment the forums were upgraded and they released a rushed out version. Let's hope that the app improves and we love it as much as we did the previous one.

NickosD

Feb 1, 2013
Amintaio - Divice: 1+1
My guess is that they weren't ready with the app. But a number of people started asking for the app the moment the forums were upgraded and they released a rushed out version. Let's hope that the app improves and we love it as much as we did the previous one.
Then it should be released along with the xda labs and once ready, discontinue the xda labs.

(opening the quote notification will get me to the bottom of the page).

MrBlubke

Jan 24, 2011
Then it should be released along with the xda labs and once ready, discontinue the xda labs.

(opening the quote notification will get me to the bottom of the page).
while I get what you're saying... it should be said that the new forums, most likely broke the labs app, and I presume it was not that easy of a fix that they could just continue using it... maybe they should've just continued to work on the app, and let us use browser version in the meantime... and only release it when it was ready...