[15.03.24] [NEW] XDA Forum Apps I Official with Domain Fix + Unofficial

Search This thread

Razorsoup

Mar 1, 2011
Even though I logged in to the app I had to log in again to reply to this thread so that was fun. On my phone I kept getting logged out but that seems to have cleared up. I'm hoping a tab for "News" is added in the near future but otherwise it seems to be a decent experience so far.

-=Joker=-

Apr 28, 2019
i'm always getting this error message in the app :unsure: Screenshot_20201207-202426758_llcrop.jpg

Mynacol

Sep 9, 2016
@svetius
Thanks for finally releasing the app. I was eagerly waiting the whole day :D

Unfortunately, I have problems logging in. After trying some things I got bored and scanned the new app with ClassyShark3xodus and was presented with a whopping 9 trackers :eek:
  • Amplitude
  • Segment
  • Facebook (Ads, Analytics, Login, Share)
  • Google (AdMob, Analytics, Firebase Analytics)
Screenshot_20201207-193118_ClassyShark3xodus.png
With this collection of jank no wonder this app reaches ~100MB (installed size) :oops:

Instead, you could have provided a Progressive Web App, saving you time and dependence on Play Store, App Store and Expo.io. According to the XenForo forum setting it up is as easy as following three steps: Upload two sizes of your logo and set an app name -> Profit ;)
No hassle, just a function of XenForo.

I won't use the new app, at least on my tablet. I have only free (as in freedom) apps on my tablet, with up to now the prominent exception being XDA Labs. But this app bears too much for my taste.
I would rather prefer the PWA, as then this stuff would run inside of the browser sandbox, preventing access to hardware identifiers and certainly would not contain third-party libraries for "analytics" and similar stuff.

Again, your website contains resources from your domains, fonts and JS libraries from commonly used CDNs and some resources form Cloudflare and Google. I am fine with that and understand the inclusion of this stuff. Compare this to your shiny new app and realize that you spy far more on your app users than with your website.

Don't get me wrong, I like this place and people here and I understand you bundle some of that stuff for ad revenue. But Amplitude and Segment seem to be here for analytics purposes only, and only Facebook Ads is needed. Why do you bundle Facebook Login if you don't use it?

Bonoboo

Dec 30, 2012
Ukraine
Redmi Note 10 Pro
App can't be used (at least) in Ukrаinе due Cloudflare protection.

Preamble: opening XDA in browser constantly shows that "Checking your browser before accessing..." page by CloudFlare: my country in some blacklist. Same on three different ISP, mobile and wired.

After splash new app shows just blank white screen. But once I enable VPN (Germany for example) it shows on-boarding and I can log-in.
After disabling VPN app shows same CF page, two popup errors and then it can't load any content, "Watched" empty and so on. Check attached screenshots.

So problem definitively caused by CloudFlare protection "redirect", app just can't handle that.

This issue was present in old app, I reported it here and XDA administrator successfully fixed it.

It's not just me: previously user @Muxeu from Ukraine confirmed old bug, now he says, that facing blank white screen too. Also there are two other Ukrainians that "liked" this post.

Debug info (useless in this case): latest XDA 2.15.11, Android 9

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.png
    2.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.png
    3.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

jlcogar

Apr 20, 2009
I've just installed the Android XDA App yesterday. Saw message about old login credentials not migrated. Now logged in via Samsung Internet browser. I've selected Reset Password via email, and changed password. I've also logged in via browser, and changed password. Neither have allowed me to login using Android XDA App.

Also, using My Device in Android XDA App it identifies my phone as AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and my phone is actually Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G (AT&T).

Thank you.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I've just installed the Android XDA App yesterday. Saw message about old login credentials not migrated. Now logged in via Samsung Internet browser. I've selected Reset Password via email, and changed password. I've also logged in via browser, and changed password. Neither have allowed me to login using Android XDA App.

Also, using My Device in Android XDA App it identifies my phone as AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and my phone is actually Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G (AT&T).

Thank you.
Update app, to the new version, has only been available for a few mins.

Reactions: plegdroid

simeoni

Mar 27, 2014
I would like to have "Threads with your posts" in same level as "Watching" just like in the old app there was "Participated threads".

try to Sign out of browser, open app, select guest, select account, select sign in, sign in when prompted.
It may take a few tries.
Nope, didnt work.
Logged out of the website in the browser, opened the app on my phone, but after 2 minutes of trying to log in I still get "Wrong Username/Password"

EDIT:
Wait, I think I know the problem. Seems like the app hasnt been updated in my country?
If I open the playstore in my browser, it says that the XDA app has been updated today. If I open it on my phone, it says last updated in 2018. (And yes, it definitely is the same app).
The newest version I can install is 1.1.6b-play.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Publish to GPlay store ? No we didn't talk with any mod about publishing this to Google play store.

Well, TBH I know a LOT about reverse Engineering 😏 and @waterpolo can even prove that !

(y)
    Hope he approves our request. :) :) :)
    Obviously I don't speak in any official capacity here but I wouldn't have thought it was likely to have the request approved.
    There was already a lot of public conversation (and most likely even more in private and behind the scenes) to even get to the stage where this app was allowed to be modified in the first place and be given the permission and needed access.

There's already 3 options available to use. The 2 in this thread and then ReLabs. That's more than was available pre-Zenforo switch over. Plus even just using the website from mobile is more than good enough.
    Best option is to either use one of the available options or, do as you started, carry on with making your own version
    Dear moderation team/Committee.
    Take this as caveat, I want to say something about my fixed official version of app before it get nods for further cosmetic changes.
    I am travelling, give me little time (not more than 24 hrs) to make some concern.
    Regards
    Dr.Ketan
    Publish to GPlay store ? No we didn't talk with any mod about publishing this to Google play store.
    Because I remembered you said something about publishing in Play Store.
    What exactly you wanna to do? Take the "ownership" of the modded app from dr.?
    Well, TBH I know a LOT about reverse Engineering 😏 and @waterpolo can even prove that !
    Yeah yeah ok..
    (y)
    Hope he approves our request. :) :) :)
    Hope not. I prefer real developers handle that app and do not create 10000 xda modded apps.
    You should stick to improve your applix, I thought you didn't liked the official xda app at all and that was the reason you made your applix app as you write in your intro.
    I'm not entitled to give any permission. My changes was granted with specific note as : @dr.ketan 's minor modifications that only allow the app to communicate with the servers following the domain change. here is the reference
    Raise your concern to moderation team and they will contact me if they requires.
    We have contact the XDA moderators and also the developer of the app Audentio. They give us green light.
    We want to work together on this app to give it new life. The app has a lot of features and work faster the alternative XDA Labs.
    So to understand, you got green light from admins to take the modded app from dr. do some colour changes and publish it to Play Store?

Because we waited for months for admins to even give dr. green light to share the apk here inside the xda and requirement was to not change anything other than fix login and do not share it anywhere else other than inside xda.

Also @ZG089▼ doesn't seem knowledgeable enough to do reverse engineering. He barely do some colours changes in his applix app. Don't take it bad this is the truth

Perhaps @willverduzco can enlighten us.
    XDA Forum Android Apps

I am presenting here two apps for android for XDA Forums.

1.Original Fixed App

Intro
    : As you might know, official XDA app is stopped working since migration of the domain. We've long waited to get official app to get fix for same as it was much convenient to many users to get access to XDA forum with an android app instead web.
    Discussion was started from page #77 regarding alternate to this app. We have got some reverse engineering and find solution to get app working back with new domain. After silence of couple of month, @Retrial have initiated movement and finally got nod from @willverduzco (Big Thanks to him and whole moderation team) to release special fixed version only to XDA platform and I believe this will help lots of users to get easy access to forum. Here below is link to download fixed app.

Credits : All credit goes to original developer of XDA app & XDA community

2.Unofficial XDA App

This app is seamless web version of XDA forums for conveniently explore forum right from your device.

T & C
    • App is unofficial and made for community with good will and have no affiliation with XDA forums.
    • This Project is started for community help and can be close anytime without prior notice.
    • App have no any revenue generation from app with ad. Same time it won't stop any ad showing by XDA forum itself. Ad policy will be followed as you exploring it from web.
    • App development may affect in future by google, XDA forum or by code sharing policy and we don't give any warranty about continuing of further development. Changing policy in any manner that may affect app development, we may stop development without any prior notice.
    • Application is free for XDA users.

Donation
    Application if free for XDA users but it cost us, If you want to encourage with little donation, you are welcome. Again We humbly request, donation shouldn't be with expectation of something in return. As we said above, development of app in future may get stopped, There won't be any refund for same.

App features

Side Navigation Panel
    (swype to Left from device edge)
    • Home : Forum main page (Trending etc)
    • T&C & App info : XDA discussion page
    • Forum Settings
    • Donate : Donate to dev

Bottom Navigation Panel
    • Threads : Thread you are watching
    • Forums : Forums you are watching
    • New : Latest XDa forum Post
    • Alerts : Alert List
    Notification : Push notification from developer working. (Notification for update/changes etc), Not working for forum notivfication

Downloads

1.Download Official App with Fix

2.Download Un-Official XDA App

Originally thread started by svetius

The new app is just an upgrade to the current XDA app, so you should be able to just go into Play and hit "Update"

The app is rolling out now, and will take hours to get to everyone. For safety, we are doing a staged rollout at first at about 50%.

Update 12/8: App is now at 100% rollout so everyone should get it soon. Thanks for testing and using it! :)
    Update 1/13/21: We are aware that for some, the app isn't working. We plan to release a fix ASAP.

Fun things to try:

- Login explore the app settings and gesture controls (hit the third button on the bottom).
    - Read the Tips and Tricks thread
    https://xdaforums.com/t/index-xda-2021-navigating-the-new-forum-app.4199143/
    XDA app (Minor modified for Forum domain change fix)

As we know, since changing of forum domain, original XDA app no more working. Here is little modified version of app that differ from original by
    • Fix for Domain changes
    • Fixed New post tab (not working on original app) (settings - default feed - New Post)
    • App version lable edited info about not complete official version to differentiated from official app.
    In reference to this by @willverduzco here attached a mod version. My humble request to all XDA members to kindly follow what suggested by mod team and don't share this to outside XDA forum

Also here with this, I am agree to remove this app anytime if I have been asked by any mods or any authorized person ask me to do so.
    All credit goes to oiginal developer of app who bears ownership/right of app/part of app
    Intention of mod version is just a good will as original app doesn't serve any purpose after change in domain for XDA forum, and app just modified to use it's original functionality.
    My sincere thanks to all mod team @willverduzco @V0latyle @Clark Joseph Kent @woodman @theimpulson @Oswald Boelcke @the_scotsman @Whiskey103 @Badger50 @mrjuniork and all other mods I may have forgot to mention and everyone who made efforts to make this happen, specially @Retrial

Installaion note : Please uninstall if any similar app version installed. Download attached apk and install as regular apk.

Regards

Dr.Ketan

ChnageLog :

1.Initial Release 10Oct23
    : XDA_Developers2.15.41_Mod_DrK_10Oct23.apk

2.First Update 15March24 : Some workaround to load bit faster. XDA_Developers2.15.41_Mod_DrK_15March24.apk
    XDA Unofficial App

Read OP for more details

Hint : To be best viewed with App layout

To change layout : From App - swype left edge - Select settings - Style
    Select XDA App theme for light theme
    Select Community App Dark for dark theme

Kindly post your review.

ChangeLog :
    • 1.2_19102024 - Initial Release
    • 1.3_14032024 - Bottom navigation now only have New Post, Watched Thread & Watched Forums. All other tab moved to Side panel. Should be fix issue opening external links. Here same 1.3 with Dard Bottom bar
    • 1.4_16042024 - Same as 1.3 + White/Dark BottomBar + Showing Title

Screenshots :

XDA1.jpg XDA2.jpg

Screenshot_20240314_231644.jpg Screenshot_20240314_231639.jpg
    I am taking this opportunity to write few words about XDA app.
    As I have stated, Current fixed app is just nothing but simply re-engineered app without source to get fix for new domain as well one small bug fix, As we don't have source code and chances of getting further development of this app without original dev is almost nil. I don't know how long this will going to work.
    We should encourage development of similar app with open source. One project (ReLab) already started by @theimpulson and that will be the future if original app not going to develop from source. My sincere request to @theimpulson to keep continue support and further development for his app & we should support him whatever way he may needs as XDA test users.
    This is need of hour to keep away developer to move to some social media platform (like TG) to provide better support to end users with amazing moderation support.

Regards
    Dr.Ketan
    Hey guys!

About the xda app, here is what a representative of xda replied to the moderation team internally when we told them we had concerns about the future of the app (among other topics):

"The truth is the app development team was an outside source that we worked with, and they were never able to deliver on a bug-free experience. If we focus on an app in the future, I'd assume that we would come up with a different solution. For now, <... > we are aware of the bugs, but further updates will not be made to the app. Chances are we will have something better in the future."

Then, we told them we'd love to have an in-house development of the app, like it used to be the case with xda labs, they replied this:

"I am 100% on board with this. I think XDA Labs was the best mobile app we ever got and we need to go back to a solution like that. <... > We are working on sorting out so many things behind the scenes, and as soon as we can make the forums a priority again, I will pitch this idea to the new leadership."

The" new leadership" being Valnet Inc.

I am also very disappointed by the xda app, I don't use it except for push notifications.

So I guess we just need to be patient...