Check your display manufacturer

What display manufacturer does your device use?

• Total voters
Search This thread

jackal25

Mar 9, 2013
Is it greyish-white if you look it head on or does it only change if you tilt it to the angle like the pic? The only thing I can think of is, that they used a different kind of sharp panel. I could talk BS though, 'cause I'm no expert. Could you post the link to that pic? I'd like to compare it with my own eyes.

Yea sure: imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/cf5440380cd79123333b3d5bac345982b3b7801e.jpg

It is not grey/white head on. Only when I tilt it to about the level seen in the pic. At 100% brightness, head-on it's still nice and blue, though the blue is a lot lighter than at my normal brightness of course.

Ape187

Nov 1, 2009
Anime World
Yea sure: imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/cf5440380cd79123333b3d5bac345982b3b7801e.jpg

It is not grey/white head on. Only when I tilt it to about the level seen in the pic. At 100% brightness, head-on it's still nice and blue, though the blue is a lot lighter than at my normal brightness of course.

Okay, mine's like that too. I compared it with that pic and was kinda like the bottom left screen, but then again it looks different. It's like it's between the bottom two. Can't really compre it though, 'cause I don't know to which brightness they set the screens.

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
Stock you say.. You have a black bar for on-screen buttons?

Sim-free stock meaning it is from a batch of stock sim free phones. This thread has nothing to do with stock vs custom roms so not relevant to that.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Just compared my JDC screen and it doesn't look like the JDC in the photo looks more sharp like, even at full brightness?

Sent from my C6603

Ape187

Nov 1, 2009
Anime World
Sim-free stock meaning it is from a batch of stock sim free phones. This thread has nothing to do with stock vs custom roms so not relevant to that.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Just compared my JDC screen and it doesn't look like the JDC in the photo looks more sharp like, even at full brightness?

Sent from my C6603

The same is with mine. I can't really compare them. It's so confusing. :confused:

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
The same is with mine. I can't really compare them. It's so confusing. :confused:

Just compared my JDC properly next to the image and its definately more like the sharp one. At 100% brightness the screen isn't "lit" up like the JDC on the left and the flower is blue like the right one. Having the screen at 100% makes me realise how beautiful the screen is lol

Ape187

Nov 1, 2009
Anime World
Just compared my JDC properly next to the image and its definately more like the sharp one. At 100% brightness the screen isn't "lit" up like the JDC on the left and the flower is blue like the right one. Having the screen at 100% makes me realise how beautiful the screen is lol

That's what I think too. It's gorgeous and bright as hell. :) I'm perfectly fine with it. I don't care about viewing angles.

Last edited:

subcode

Aug 4, 2006
Mine is 13W07 AAC (SIM Unlocked/Bought from Greek Sony Center)

I don't want to unlock my phone's bootloader so i don't know which screen is. From the pictures i think i have a sharp panel.
I took some photos but i think we cannot judge by photos because of the camera's exposure and white balance changes.

Some photos at various angles at 100% brightness: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o9fy6cte163odlr/Wsa4WKv9xD

Apr 6, 2011
Mine is 13W07 AAC (SIM Unlocked/Bought from Greek Sony Center)

I don't want to unlock my phone's bootloader so i don't know which screen is. From the pictures i think i have a sharp panel.
I took some photos but i think we cannot judge by photos because of the camera's exposure and white balance changes.

Some photos at various angles at 100% brightness: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o9fy6cte163odlr/Wsa4WKv9xD

I saw your photos and find out your phone have excellent viewing angle, nice color saturation and constrast too.
Guess you have the Sharp panel as the below right of the photo from baidu.
:good: nice ~

Last edited:

Supersaiyan.IV

May 26, 2011
Helsingborg, Sweden

Agent_Llama

Mar 3, 2013
I sent my first S back due to the poor display. My new one is a vast improvement: colours are more vivid, contrast is markedly better, and on full brightness the screen dazzles. My display is now the same as on my other half's Z. Much happier with it. Not rooted thought so can't say which display has been used.

Roflnova

Oct 4, 2008
does anyone else have a slight yellowish tinge near the bottom of the screen or when you view it from an angle? mine is marked 13W06 AAC. I'm thinking of bringing it in at the end of the month since the sony service centre told me xperia z parts only arrive at the end of the month.

i'm not sure if i have a sharp or JDC panel, as I only wish to root and unlock my bootloader when i've settled this screen issue.

let me know if anyone wants to see pictures.

EDIT: on a side note i'm suffering from very poor battery life - 2 hours screen on time at maximum. I have LTE on; my brightness is 30% with "adapt to light conditions" checked. is LTE the issue?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    App for checking your display manufacturer

Big thanks to inventor of this simple method :)

To make things simpler, and avoid to mess around with error prone Terminal Emulator commands, here's attached a simple app I just developed for sorting out your panel manufacturer details :D

daz
    It would be interesting to see if Sony does indeed use two display manufacturers, so i'm making this thread so people can actually see this. I posted this in the "Clearing up.. blah" thread, but it'll be more effective having a stand alone thread for it.

Now, let's get down to business. You have to be rooted, install a terminal from the Play Store and type this into the terminal:

- su
    - dmesg|grep -i panel

Look for "Found panel: mipi_video_********_Full_HD_******"

Some report that a reboot helps if you aren't getting a proper result.

This far we've gotten these results (from the Clearing up.. blahh thread)

JDC panel: 1
    - Found panel: mipi_video_jdc_Full_HD_mdy70

Sharp panel: 2
    - Found panel: mipi_video_sharp_Full_HD_ls050t3sx01_id_dlogo

Update: You can use _daz_'s app instead so you don't have to use the terminal. Download the app here.
    Hello guys, the screen types compare post in Chinese is writen by me, orignal post is here: http://bbs.gfan.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=5899499

This post is based on the existing information, main idea is:

1. SHARP LS050T3SX01 is a CG-Silicon panel with New Mode2 wide angle technology confirmed here: http://www.panelook.com/LS050T1SX01_SHARP_5.0_LCM_parameter_17692.html

This type of CGS New Mode2 panel also used in ZTE niubia Z5 and this bulk has a very good viewing angle according to the Chinese media reviews.

2. JDC which stands for Japan Display Central Inc, actually was just formerly know as Toshiba Mobile Display. TMD is good at LTPS but not good at wide angle technology, so many of TMD made panel is not wide angle, for example the Sony LT26i and ZTE Honor. But as we know almost all of Sharp's cell phone panel come with ASV, New Mode2 is a replacement to ASV, but Sharp didn't say much about it.

So my idea is Sharp LS050T3SX01 is a wide angle panel but JDC's not. Of course this is based on concluding, not sure if the according information is totally wrong.

PS: on the photo "暖" means “warm color”, "冷" means "cold color", “广角” means "wide angle" opposite to "非广角"

XZ-ABC.jpg
    JDC: "mdy70"

All right, so it's confirmed. No need to root anymore ;)
    Brief recap:

From Terminal emulator (or ADB shell) type:

Code:
    cd /sys/devices/platform/mipi_dsi_panel.0
    cat panel_id

If you get back "ls050t3sx01" you have a Sharp display.
    If you get "mdy70" you have JDC one.
    This excellent exercise has gained traction among Asian Xperia Z users and they have their conclusions:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2201713306

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2200839451?pn=1

Google Translate is your friend.

According to them Sharp has the best panel. Let's see what we conclude here.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone