China to UK swap?

Search This thread
OK, having taken the brave (for me) step of ordering a phone from China, I'm now starting to understand the downsides - a whole range of options that don't work here... Celia, Docs, Video, and more every day.
Now I find me thinking the unthinkable (again for me) of trying to make it a UK phone - but is it easy, simple and foolproof?
One issue straight off though - it's a Mate 40 RS which is of course not available in the UK - is it even possible??
Thanks.

Lagann888

Nov 5, 2020
OK, having taken the brave (for me) step of ordering a phone from China, I'm now starting to understand the downsides - a whole range of options that don't work here... Celia, Docs, Video, and more every day.
Now I find me thinking the unthinkable (again for me) of trying to make it a UK phone - but is it easy, simple and foolproof?
One issue straight off though - it's a Mate 40 RS which is of course not available in the UK - is it even possible??
Thanks.

I'm starting to have the same thoughts!! I ordered a Chinese M40 Pro Plus and its currently on its way. The good thing is that I dont really use google services too much and i know the chinese versions of these phones much easier to install google services. We will see how it goes!! We'll figure it out together.

I'm starting to have the same thoughts!! I ordered a Chinese M40 Pro Plus and its currently on its way. The good thing is that I dont really use google services too much and i know the chinese versions of these phones much easier to install google services. We will see how it goes!! We'll figure it out together.
yes, I was ready for no Google but didn't realise no Huawei stuff too 🤪

Lagann888

Nov 5, 2020
Yeh, great. Managed to get Huawei Video to download & work, and finally Petal Maps but still no Celia or Huawei Docs. How about you... missing anything?

using Waze for my maps, like it better than google maps anyways, banking apps all working, transferred from phone clone. used App gallery for social media apps. Default mail app links to my gmail. Chrome for browser. Not using any voice assistant at this time.

using Waze for my maps, like it better than google maps anyways, banking apps all working, transferred from phone clone. used App gallery for social media apps. Same Default mail app links to my gmail. Chrome for browser. Not using any voice assistant at this time.
Can I ask if voice assistant works even if you don't use it? Same for Huawei Docs. Is this your first phone from China or are you an experienced old hand 😉

Lagann888

Nov 5, 2020
Can I ask if voice assistant works even if you don't use it? Same for Huawei Docs. Is this your first phone from China or are you an experienced old hand 😉

No problem. Currently at work. Will let you know when I get home. This is my second Chinese phone. First one was Oppo Find X2 pro earlier this year, that was a disaster, couldnt replace a lot of default apps including the messaging app, some of the text was stuck in chinese. Even after I root it to replace the apps, kept getting error messages. I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to Chinese phones.

Currently on my Pro +, besides no google services which I would not have anyways even if I bought global, I don't notice any difference, coming from a global P30 pro. I'm glad I got the pro+ for the OIS, 10x telephoto, and freeform UW lens. Definitely worth it.

Update:
Huawei docs is not working, says not available in region.
Huawei assistant I have disabled on the homescreen, but it looks like its chinese only

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts