• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Chrome browser - custom search engine possible?

Search This thread

omohat

Dec 28, 2010
At the moment when I do a search in Chrome, because I am based in Qatar, it defaults to the Google Qatar site even though I am an english speaker. Is it possible to edit the search engine configuration anywhere to have it default to google.co.uk or google.com?

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
It may be possible by modifying the something in the settings files. I was poking around in there the other day looking to see if I could change the user agent and I think I saw something about default county/search but I'm not for sure.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

omohat

Dec 28, 2010
Any chance you can tell me where to find the setting file? Is it in the apk or somewhere else?

omohat

Dec 28, 2010
Found it myself!

In case any one is wondering you can, force Chrome to always use a certain Google site (rather than the one for the region you are currently residing in) by editing the /data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/Local State file

You need to change the "last known google URL" and "last prompted google URL" to whichever one you prefer.

Obviously you're going to need root access to be able to do this.

s1ck82

Mar 5, 2012
Oporto
In case any one is wondering you can, force Chrome to always use a certain Google site (rather than the one for the region you are currently residing in) by editing the /data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/Local State file

You need to change the "last known google URL" and "last prompted google URL" to whichever one you prefer.

Could you please explaind this to a noob language?? :(

omohat

Dec 28, 2010

Sure thing. In Chrome, when you do a search from the address bar (on both desktop and mobile) it defaults to using the country specific google site for whichever country you're accessing the net from. In my case I live in Qatar, but as an english speaker I don't want to use google.com.qa (in arabic). You can change this behaviour by editing a file called "Local State" (on both desktop and mobile). The process for doing this on your mobile is:

1 - Root your phone

2 - Using a file explorer browse to the directory "/data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/"

3 - Using a text editor, edit the file "Local State" in this directory by changing the strings "last known google URL" and "last prompted google URL". In my case I edited them ass follows:

{ "last known google url": "http://www.google.com.qa/"
"last prompted google url": "http://www.google.com.qa" }

to:
{ "last known google url": "http://www.google.co.uk/"
"last prompted google url": "http://www.google.co.uk" }

4 - Restart Chrome and now when you do a search from the address bar, it will use the Google site you specified.

Hope that helps.

stijn1976

Oct 25, 2006
Hong Kong
Noob way

There is a Noob way too.

Translate your preferred language on Google Translate to the language defaulted in Chrome due to your location so you can match it later on. In my case I have translated English into Traditional Chinese which is "英文".

Start Chrome Android
Login with your Google account (should give you the option first time)
Search for "test" or something else. You get your default location language (in my case Traditional Chinese) and search results for "test".

On the page with search results for "test" scroll all the way down to the bottom. You will see your google user name in black.

Just below there are 3 links in blue. Click on the most left, this is "settings".

In settings you will see radio buttons and the foreign language text.
Scroll down until there is no more radio buttons but drop down scroll lists. These are for "language" settings.

The first drop down list is for "Language in Google Products". Scroll down till you find your translation, in my case "英文".

Do the same for the second scroll down list.

Scroll to the complete bottom and click the blue button, this is "Save". You are all set. Google should now show everything in your preferred language, without rooting your phone.

Good luck!

Looloup

Apr 10, 2011

Thanks - I tried updating /data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/Default/Preferences file - but it didn't have any affect .... I will be trying this instead

There is a Noob way too.

Translate your preferred language on Google Translate to the language defaulted in Chrome due to your location so you can match it later on. In my case I have translated English into Traditional Chinese which is "英文".

Start Chrome Android
Search for "test" or something else. You get your default location language (in my case Traditional Chinese) and search results for "test".

On the page with search results for "test" scroll all the way down to the bottom. You will see your google user name in black.

Just below there are 3 links in blue. Click on the most left, this is "settings".

Scroll down until there is no more radio buttons but drop down scroll lists. These are for "language" settings.

The first drop down list is for "Language in Google Products". Scroll down till you find your translation, in my case "英文".

Scroll to the complete bottom and click the blue button, this is "Save". You are all set. Google should now show everything in your preferred language, without rooting your phone.

Good luck!

.... if this quick'n'easy method doesn't work

yakir

Aug 14, 2009
does not change site

The non-rooted settings approach changes the display language, it does not change the site.

andao79

May 26, 2011
Shenzhen
Great thread, I also would like to be able to do this, but still haven't found a way that works. As mentioned above, changing "settings" on the search page only changes the language of the results, not the actual search website.

I have root access and also tried editing the local state file as described above. The first time I launched Chrome after the change, it defaulted to google.com as planned, with a popup at the bottom that asked me if I wanted to continue using google.com, or use google.com.hk instead. I chose "google.com", yet when i launched the browser a second time, it defaulted to google.com.hk.

Phone out of battery now but i'll try editing the local state file with "google.com/ncr" when I get home. Any other suggestions? Forcing it to use google.com every time would be very useful!

Chrome version is 18.0.1025123, and Android version is 4.1

Reactions: leoriver42

Astrum

Nov 14, 2011
I have the same question. How come google locked default search engines, without any possibility to manage them?!

I've tried editing preferences file using root explorer (changing one of the strings there from google.fi to google.com, but it does not actually save it. If I open it again seconds later it still shows google.fi inside of the file. Even though root explorer is given root permissions, as notification states.

Has someone found a way to solve this?
Thanks.

nobodyknows

Mar 18, 2009
Qatar
search

hi. tnx for ur explain.. idid as u said. in the settings it still shows com.qa (im in doha also) but search goes in .com

Sure thing. In Chrome, when you do a search from the address bar (on both desktop and mobile) it defaults to using the country specific google site for whichever country you're accessing the net from. In my case I live in Qatar, but as an english speaker I don't want to use google.com.qa (in arabic). You can change this behaviour by editing a file called "Local State" (on both desktop and mobile). The process for doing this on your mobile is:

1 - Root your phone

2 - Using a file explorer browse to the directory "/data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/"

3 - Using a text editor, edit the file "Local State" in this directory by changing the strings "last known google URL" and "last prompted google URL". In my case I edited them ass follows:

to:

4 - Restart Chrome and now when you do a search from the address bar, it will use the Google site you specified.

Hope that helps.

Droidem

Aug 28, 2010
Tacoma
Sure thing. In Chrome, when you do a search from the address bar (on both desktop and mobile) it defaults to using the country specific google site for whichever country you're accessing the net from. In my case I live in Qatar, but as an english speaker I don't want to use (in arabic). You can change this behaviour by editing a file called "Local State" (on both desktop and mobile). The process for doing this on your mobile is:

1 - Root your phone

Hope that helps.

Just wanted to say my thanks.

Reactions: eatsleeplaxsoccer
Nov 24, 2007

Just a follow up, you will need a root-capable system explorer. I looked around for a good free one but didn't find one.
I bought root explorer, mounted as r/w (an option at the top when you first open) and just navigated to that data file and opened it. root explorer has a built in text editor (it doesn't show the cursor which is a bit strange). make the changes (I change from google.nl to google.com because I only just moved to Amsterdam and don't speak dutch yet, so all my searches are in english) then save and exit. it worked well.

Flav106

Jun 5, 2012
Paris

Thanks dude, this is working flawlessly. :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Found it myself!

1 - Root your phone

to:

Hope that helps.
    Noob way

There is a Noob way too.

Start Chrome Android

Good luck!
    Great thread, I also would like to be able to do this, but still haven't found a way that works. As mentioned above, changing "settings" on the search page only changes the language of the results, not the actual search website.

I have root access and also tried editing the local state file as described above. The first time I launched Chrome after the change, it defaulted to google.com as planned, with a popup at the bottom that asked me if I wanted to continue using google.com, or use google.com.hk instead. I chose "google.com", yet when i launched the browser a second time, it defaulted to google.com.hk.

Phone out of battery now but i'll try editing the local state file with "google.com/ncr" when I get home. Any other suggestions? Forcing it to use google.com every time would be very useful!

Chrome version is 18.0.1025123, and Android version is 4.1
    Sure thing. In Chrome, when you do a search from the address bar (on both desktop and mobile) it defaults to using the country specific google site for whichever country you're accessing the net from. In my case I live in Qatar, but as an english speaker I don't want to use (in arabic). You can change this behaviour by editing a file called "Local State" (on both desktop and mobile). The process for doing this on your mobile is:

1 - Root your phone

Hope that helps.

Just wanted to say my thanks.