Chrome HTC HD2 Battery Cover Tutorial

ephestione

Mar 23, 2008
Rome
www.ephestione.it
The result is really astonishing. It fascinates me indeed, and now it looks like the phone a Harley rider would proudly use. Not that I own a harley, that I wish I did :D

Wouldn't using one of these

make the job easier anyway? ;)
Now, if only I could bring myself to do it for real, that's a sure warranty void for you.

BTW, how much did the cover become thinner after you polished it? Does it lose much thickness or is it less resistant in any way?

Last edited:

D4rkSoRRoW

Dec 8, 2009
St. Gallen
omg awsome! the paint is already away on my cover.. already posted this some months ago, when there were big dots where the painting was away.. it looked very ugly, so i thought i should scratch everything away xD did it, and it looks better now.. now i see this^.^ i think im going to do this, it looks amazing

Kalavere

Feb 12, 2010
Ouch, Scotch Brite? I'd recommend using 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 grain sandpaper. I use them for lapping my CPU's and heatsinks. It looks flawless if you do it properly. :)

D4rkSoRRoW

Dec 8, 2009
St. Gallen
got one important question.. does it maybe rust after some time? im using my phone very much in the rain.. and maybe an important coating is away after the sanding? :3

WhiteSites

May 22, 2010
Pearland
blog.whitesites.com
The only thickness you loose is really the painted layer, Not sure if it would void my warranty as I didn't really have to take the phone apart to do this. To the manufacturer its no different than some scratches on the screen, so I think the warranty would still be in tact. Also if you do yours be very careful using a dremel tool, its pretty easy to ruin a phone with a dremel. I learned this the hard way about 4 phones ago.

The result is really astonishing. It fascinates me indeed, and now it looks like the phone a Harley rider would proudly use. Not that I own a harley, that I wish I did :D

Wouldn't using one of these
make the job easier anyway? ;)
Now, if only I could bring myself to do it for real, that's a sure warranty void for you.

BTW, how much did the cover become thinner after you polished it? Does it lose much thickness or is it less resistant in any way?

ephestione

Mar 23, 2008
Rome
www.ephestione.it
The only thickness you loose is really the painted layer, Not sure if it would void my warranty as I didn't really have to take the phone apart to do this. To the manufacturer its no different than some scratches on the screen, so I think the warranty would still be in tact. Also if you do yours be very careful using a dremel tool, its pretty easy to ruin a phone with a dremel. I learned this the hard way about 4 phones ago.
regarding the warranty, I plainly asked htc support for their opinion about this.
The idea of having a mirror battery cover tingles my fantasy ;)

an123

Jan 30, 2008
awesome idea!
the paint is peeling off on my battery cover (only in one place), and i was thinking about getting it plated or something....your idea is much better, tho a bit difficult to do by oneself :)

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone