Chrome: sandboxed processes are killing my battery

Search This thread

maxpower7

May 2, 2011
Does anyone know what these battery-murdering processes are for? They just sort of popped up out of nowhere on my phone and are separate from the main Chrome listing under battery stats.

qu5aru8u.jpg

EDIT: a quick Google search shows that it's related to security. Still not finding any info about why it would be running rampant on my phone like this.

Last edited:

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
you won't get rid of it is part of chrome since recently

don't use chrome it murders your battery

DGpro

Apr 23, 2013
I had this exact same problem! At times there would be 3 different sandboxed processes that would appear on my battery stats and boy did they drain my battery.

As to a fix, I tried everything from clearing chromes cache/data, rebooting, uninstalling chrome updates and even a fresh ROM install but the sandboxed processes still came back. I eventually gave up on chrome and just installed the aosp browser which imho is one of the smoothest/fastest browsers out there! My battery has lasted so much longer now that I stopped using chrome. I suggest you just find an alternative browser :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

maxpower7

May 2, 2011
I had this exact same problem! At times there would be 3 different sandboxed processes that would appear on my battery stats and boy did they drain my battery.

As to a fix, I tried everything from clearing chromes cache/data, rebooting, uninstalling chrome updates and even a fresh ROM install but the sandboxed processes still came back. I eventually gave up on chrome and just installed the aosp browser which imho is one of the smoothest/fastest browsers out there! My battery has lasted so much longer now that I stopped using chrome. I suggest you just find an alternative browser :)

I'm giving Dolphin a spin for the first time in about 2 years. Already I'm blown away by how much faster it is than either Chrome or the AOSP browser. I've never cared for the AOSP browser, to be honest.

Reactions: DGpro

DGpro

Apr 23, 2013
Whatever floats your boat man :). Still curious as to why these sandboxed processes started popping up out of nowhere though. I went a long time with no such issues using chrome and I believe after upgrading to 4.4.2 is when it began happening. Wonder if there is a screwup somewhere. So strange...

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
Just checked and I got one as well today. First time I have ever seen it. Mine used next to no battery though, but still 5 minutes of CPU time.

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
same here! like look at the stats I'm getting with it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-21-18-50-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-21-18-50-51.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1,386

waallen

Aug 7, 2012
Turin
I started having the same from one day to the other. I guess there is no user fix, so it's just up to Chrome devs to manage the memory hog. Is there a fully working (bookmark sync, incognito mode) flashable AOSP browser working with 4.4.2 at this time?

unit3890

Jan 21, 2007
I started having the same from one day to the other. I guess there is no user fix, so it's just up to Chrome devs to manage the memory hog. Is there a fully working (bookmark sync, incognito mode) flashable AOSP browser working with 4.4.2 at this time?

I am having this same issue as well. You would think it would have been fixed by now especially for my nexus 5.... Is the only solution to not use chrome?

CitizenLee

Aug 21, 2009
Aberdeen
I get it too but it doesn't seem ton have too much detrimental affect on the battery, well no more so than you would expect from actually using Chrome.

Are you guys with heavy drain using Chrome Beta?

Akr706

Apr 14, 2014
These sandboxed processes are killing my phone's battery so much. Was looking for a solution and found this thread. So no solution for this issue ? :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-14-15-39-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-14-15-39-44.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 499

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Just a wild guess but does this happen after leaving Chrome running in the background (multi tasking)? Or even when Chrome is closed.

mwrobe1

Dec 12, 2012
Chicagoland
Samsung Galaxy S22
I wont say that this is killing the battery on my Nexus 7; but I realized the chrome.sandbox entries today(2)...had four tabs open in my Chrome browser fresh from a charge..2 happened to have flash content in them. Don't know if that is relevant to the thread or not, but perhaps it might be a useful observation in order to test/diagnose. i.e. maybe its normal and mobile chrome sandboxes threads from pages that contain certain "content". Perhaps this actually makes chrome more secure and stable (anyone ever been on a flash laiden webpage that crashed before?)

Interesting that this is the only thread I've found re: this issue.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm giving Dolphin a spin for the first time in about 2 years. Already I'm blown away by how much faster it is than either Chrome or the AOSP browser. I've never cared for the AOSP browser, to be honest.