chromecast and netflix outside the us (HELP)

Search This thread

danielbr14

Apr 26, 2013
hey ,i live outside the us and i have recently started using netflix. i own a chromecast but netflix isnt allowing me to use it because of my ip.
i would like to know if there is a way to pass it without a dd-wrtrouter(cant install one on mine ) and using a routing ip beacuse my router doesnt support that either .
thanks in advanced for anyone who helps ;)

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
This has been pretty extensively discussed in other threads, so the best advice is probably just use the forum search function and do some reading. You haven't really provided enough information for anyone to help you (e.g., type of router? are you trying to access your own Netflix region or another? if another then how are you changing regions? does your Chromecast have North American or European firmware? etc.)

danielbr14

Apr 26, 2013
This has been pretty extensively discussed in other threads, so the best advice is probably just use the forum search function and do some reading. You haven't really provided enough information for anyone to help you (e.g., type of router? are you trying to access your own Netflix region or another? if another then how are you changing regions? does your Chromecast have North American or European firmware? etc.)
i have searched online for it but i couldnt find anything helpfull .
the router i am currently using is a technicolor tg588v and the chromecast i have is from the us but i am in eurpe right now and i dont know how to check wich softwere version i am using. and i am trying to access a US netflix .
on my computer i am using media hint and on my phone unblock us ..
hopefully thats enought information for you to help me .

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Read this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2435579

You need to make sure that both your phone and the Chromecast are using the unblockus DNS. If your router has U.S. firmware, it defaults to using Google DNS unless you block Google DNS and make it fall back to using the DHCP DNS addresses from your router. To do that you will need to try either static routing Google DNS to nowhere or blocking the Google DNS addresses in your router. You could also redirect Google DNS lookups to unblockus in your router using iptables commands, but that's not available in standard consumer routers - you would need something like DD-WRT router firmware. Apparently the European Chromecast firmware does not default to Google DNS, so you might want to check whether your Chromecast has updated to European firmware at some point, in which case you don't need to block or redirect Google DNS - but you still need to give the Chromecast your unblockus DNS address via DHCP.