• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Chromecast in Canada!

Search This thread

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I am probably going to have one of the first Chromecast dongles in Canada unless someone ordered it with 1-day shipping or got it from a Best Buy across the border. I ordered it from Amazon with 2-day shipping to pick up in Point Roberts. I should have it by Friday or Saturday. I can report back as to how many region-related obstacles it throws up.

The first is getting the Chromecast setup apk as it's not available on CDN Play Store. Thanks to the helpful Dropbox link in this forum, I've got that covered.

If there is anything to note that CDN Chromecast users should be aware of, I will edit this first post on an ongoing basis.

EDIT: I have posted the Chromecast apk as of 2013/07/31 to the top post.

Summary:
- Everything works.
- If you have cloud music enabled on your Google Play Music it works.
- CDN Netflix works.
- YouTube works.
- Google Cast from Chrome desktop works. I do not have a powerful enough desktop to stream video but that is unrelated to region.
- If you connect your Android to a VPN or a DNS-changing service to try and access non-CDN Netflix, it will not cast titles unavailable in Canada to Chromecast successfully. Workarounds include either connecting your router itself to the VPN, or entering custom scripts into your router to redirect its hard-coded reliance on Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4).

Attachments

• com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app-1.apk
    2.9 MB · Views: 10,136
Last edited:

Mac_33

Jun 14, 2010
Toronto
Cool, so I guess I'm not the only one in Canada looking to get one. I got someone to order one for me, but I won't have it in my hands any time soon (10-20 days).

Looking forward to hear about any region issues. Hopefully there aren't many.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Cool, so I guess I'm not the only one in Canada looking to get one. I got someone to order one for me, but I won't have it in my hands any time soon (10-20 days).

Looking forward to hear about any region issues. Hopefully there aren't many.

Welcome! I will keep you and the rest of Canada updated. It should arrive in Point Roberts sometime tomorrow. If it arrives before 1PM or so I'll go get it tomorrow, and otherwise Saturday morning.

kuri22

Feb 20, 2013
Yes, do let us fellow Canucks know how it works here. Eagerly waiting for its release here in Canada or otherwise re-stock in the US... :)

OP, can you also link to the thread/post where the apk is posted to make it easier for all the non-US users?

ibike2much

Aug 11, 2010
I'll have mine today (Friday) since I live in a border town and purchased one for pick up in store. I will also update with issues.

Sent from my Super Fast Over-Clocked Galaxy S4 with XDA Premium HD

wingjames

Mar 14, 2008
I'll have mine today (Friday) since I live in a border town and purchased one for pick up in store. I will also update with issues.

I installed the Chromecast app and am wondering now if the nexflix / youtube etc apps for chromecast to work are also region specific. Please let us know! I ordered but a little too slowly so I'll have to wait.

ibike2much

Aug 11, 2010
Fort Erie. 15 - 20 mins to the Bestbuy from my house. LOL

umesswitme

Feb 12, 2012
I'm going to Buffalo tomorrow hopefully I can snag one for myself.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ibike2much

Aug 11, 2010
Already hooked up. Literally maybe 3 mins to setup. That's nuts! Netflix site having an issue though...

Boys and girls, the Chromecast rocks do far.

Last edited:

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Just got mine too! Been playing with it for an hour.

Setup worked via Nexus 7 using the apk posted upthread.

No problems with Netflix, YouTube or Google Play Music, casting from phone or tablet.

My old netbook on Windows XP was still willing to let me attempt to cast a Chrome tab but the results were lousy. From my dual-core desktop I had acceptable results casting a non-HD MP4 file direct, casting static web tabs and casting YouTube videos which would already be optimized. Attempted to cast a Collegehumor video and it was too laggy. I guess I need to get myself a Core i5 or better one of these days!

But yes, no trouble in Canada at all. Out of interest I tried connecting my tab to a VPN and launching a Netflix video only available in the US. The Chromecast just errors out. Perhaps a service like Unblock-Us would be useful since you can set the DNS at the router level and then get US Netflix.

kuri22

Feb 20, 2013
Thanks for the initial feedback guys. Keep them coming.

My old netbook on Windows XP was still willing to let me attempt to cast a Chrome tab but the results were lousy. From my dual-core desktop I had acceptable results casting a non-HD MP4 file direct, casting static web tabs and casting YouTube videos which would already be optimized. Attempted to cast a Collegehumor video and it was too laggy. I guess I need to get myself a Core i5 or better one of these days!
What dual-core processor specifically does your desktop ? I plan to do quite a bit of casting from Chrome and my computers aren't exactly the latest spec. :(

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Thanks for the initial feedback guys. Keep them coming.

What dual-core processor specifically does your desktop ? I plan to do quite a bit of casting from Chrome and my computers aren't exactly the latest spec. :(

Pentium Dual Core E5300, 2.6 GHz.

I can add this: I set up my router with a free trial of Unblock-Us, and then tried to cast a Netflix show that is only available in the USA. Again I got an error. So whatever stream Chromecast is using, it's not intercepted by this service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
The Chromecast app is now appearing as available on all devices in my Play Store. Did Google remove the region lock?

EDIT: Nevermind, Google's web interface seems to think I'm in the USA now but Play Store on-device still thinks of me as CDN. Probably for unrelated reasons - a combination of a US billing credit card and Unblock-Us.

Last edited:

wingjames

Mar 14, 2008
Great news! I've got mine on order probably be a month it so before I get it, glad to know it will work.

Stealthz

Aug 16, 2012
I'm considering getting Chromecast for my mother and sister. Both have android phones but are not the most tech savvy people.

My big question is, are they going to be able to set this up to work with Netflix Canada reasonably easily? Does it even work with Netflix Canada?

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I'm considering getting Chromecast for my mother and sister. Both have android phones but are not the most tech savvy people.

My big question is, are they going to be able to set this up to work with Netflix Canada reasonably easily? Does it even work with Netflix Canada?

It does work with Netflix Canada. I can attest to that. The only thing is, the Chromecast setup app is not available on the CDN Play Store. That can be obtained from alternate sources.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am probably going to have one of the first Chromecast dongles in Canada unless someone ordered it with 1-day shipping or got it from a Best Buy across the border. I ordered it from Amazon with 2-day shipping to pick up in Point Roberts. I should have it by Friday or Saturday. I can report back as to how many region-related obstacles it throws up.

The first is getting the Chromecast setup apk as it's not available on CDN Play Store. Thanks to the helpful Dropbox link in this forum, I've got that covered.

If there is anything to note that CDN Chromecast users should be aware of, I will edit this first post on an ongoing basis.

EDIT: I have posted the Chromecast apk as of 2013/07/31 to the top post.

Summary:
    - Everything works.
    - If you have cloud music enabled on your Google Play Music it works.
    - CDN Netflix works.
    - YouTube works.
    - Google Cast from Chrome desktop works. I do not have a powerful enough desktop to stream video but that is unrelated to region.
    - If you connect your Android to a VPN or a DNS-changing service to try and access non-CDN Netflix, it will not cast titles unavailable in Canada to Chromecast successfully. Workarounds include either connecting your router itself to the VPN, or entering custom scripts into your router to redirect its hard-coded reliance on Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4).
    Finally got my Chromecast here to do some actual setup and testing.

After much trial and error, and many PMs back and forth with comminus, I finally got U.S. Netflix to stream through the Chromecast. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work with the free service tunlr.net -- they work fine for setting up and watching US content on your PCs/tablets but for whatever reason I couldn't for the life of me get it to work with the Chromecast and IPTables. It *should* in principal be the same as Unblock-us (which I finally did test using the free 1 week trial), but for whatever reason the Chromecast would hang when I had the tunlr.net DNS servers in the IPTables.

Anyway, I'm using DD-WRT on my Netgear router. Here is how I set it up:

Step 1:
    Under Services tab for DD-WRT set up a static IP for your Chromecast. This is to ensure it always has the same IP on your network so that your IPTables script will always reference it:

3PV4OeT.jpg

Step 2:
    Go to Adminstration tab -> Commands subtab and run the following IPTables script (one at a time, for some reason when I try to run both commands at once it doesn't work. Note in my script the IP is the static IP I gave to my Chromecast, yours may be different.
    The IPs of 208.122.23.22 and 208.122.23.23 are the Unblock-us DNS servers.

Enter each of the lines below and hit "Run Commands". I also optionally saved it as a Custom Script so I can go and manipulate it later

Code:
    iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.149 -d 8.8.4.4 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.23
    Code:
    iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.149 -d 8.8.8.8 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.22

QA5CjUE.jpg

Step 3: (Optional)
    Since Chromecast requires a phone/tablet or PC to be the remote, that device also has to have access to the same region of Netflix that the Chromecast content is coming from (in this case U.S.) You can either enter another IPTables rule like above, but change the IP address after -s to match whichever device you want to use OR you can use DNSMasq feature right in the router. This allows all your devices to use the unblock-us DNS servers for netflix.com only. Note in my screenshot I'm specifically saying "netflix.com" which means all my other devices will still use my normal DNS servers except when they go to netflix.com

This is located under Services tab, DNSMasq box:
    dgZy1Dv.jpg
    So I guess I have 1 question and 1 request.

Q1. So I assume that the script entries from post #38 (the iptables ones) were the ones that won the day that allowed you to view US Netflix content through you Chromecast Device?

R1. Could we bother you CM to update your first post with the exact iptables commands that you added to your router so all the info is in one concise spot please?

Followup Q.
    I suppose I just want to be clear that the only DNS traffic that gets re-routed are requests sent from the Chromecast device and not every DNS request made from every device on my LAN. Can we confirm this?

The final lesser Q is my personal situation. My home router is that new Asus RT-AC66U (beast of a router from all I can tell). I'm running the latest stock firmware. I was considering using custom firmware like Merlin however I haven't made the jump just yet. Still have a lot more reading to do.

Does anyone happen to know if this router supports entering these iptables commands/scripts?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Simple question first.

The ASUS RT-AC66U does use iptables. You can configure additional rules without going to custom firmware (i.e. Merlin, DD-WRT) but the custom firmware is required to have the rules survive a reboot. As a side note, Merlin is the simpler of the two. You can enable telnet in the stock firmware on the Administration > System page (Advanced_System_Content.asp). You can then telnet to your router and authenticate using the same credentials as the web login.

In terms of how to set up the RT-AC66U (also the RT-N66U), the settings are entirely dependent on the result you wish to achieve. There are many ways to handle this so I'll describe a few scenarios. Note: the iptables rules below assume you're using the router's default 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

1. Configure iptables to redirect all DNS queries on the LAN through the router.
    2. Configure iptables to redirect DNS queries from a specific LAN IP address to a specific DNS server.
    3. Configure iptables to redirect DNS queries from a specific LAN IP address, destined for a specific DNS server, to a specific DNS server.

Scenario 1:
    Code:
    iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 ! -d 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.1
    The idea here is that you would manually configure your router to use the DNS provided by unblock-us, unotelly, tunlr, or other. All DNS requests , regardless of destination IP are handled by the router. This is the easiest to configure, but also the most heavy-handed imho.

Scenario 2:
    Code:
    iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.200 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.22
    In this example, we're only re-routing DNS requests from a specific IP. To make this work, you'll need to assign a static IP in the router using the device's MAC address.

Scenario 3:
    Code:
    iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.200 -d 8.8.8.8 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.22
    iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.200 -d 8.8.4.4 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.23
    This is almost exactly like scenario 2. The variation here is being explicit about re-routing traffic destined for one IP (one of Google's in this case) to another.

You can try any of these out on the stock firmware and test using your computer. Just set your computer to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS. Keep in mind that modern browsers perform some DNS caching so you may need to flush the cache to see the DNS re-routing work when testing on your computer.
    Worked first try

Got mine up and running on the first try. Here are some instructions that I put together.

1,-Navigate to the DD-WRT website and download and install the firmware for you router. All the information to do this is on their website.
    2,-Open router settings and set the Network Address Server Setings (DHCP) to the Unblockus DNS servers.(208.122.23.22, 208.122.23.23)
    3,-Click on the administration tab and then the commands tab. Cut and paste the following commands into the window. Be sure to hit the save startup and save firewall buttons.

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.22
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.23

Cheers
    Figured this out using comminus's nice steps. I'm using http://tunlr.net/ as my DNS provider.

I chose step 2 "Configure iptables to redirect DNS queries from a specific LAN IP address to a specific DNS server."

Code:
    iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.102 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 69.197.169.9

I am using DD-WRT, so I put this in "Administration->Commands" and saved it as a custom script. Only thing I need to do is to press "Run Commands" one time to activate it. Also to test it out on my PC, I had to clear the browser's DNS cache, so in Chrome you go to Settings->History and clear it.

Tested on the PC accessing Netflix, got U.S. content, then went to another PC with Netflix and saw only Canadian content. This works great! All I need to do now when I get my chromecast is alter the script to use the Chromecast IP that gets assigned on my network and I'll be good to go!!

Oh, should also mention, as per comminus's instructions I also set the IP I was using as a static IP so it would never change for the PC I'm testing from, I'll also do this for the Chromecast so it's always assigned the same IP.

Thanks guys!