• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Chromecast with Google TV Ethernet and USB Hub Questions

Search This thread

BeeJ1109

Sep 26, 2015
Adelaide
Hi all,
I have a 8 in 1 Hub, purchased a month or ago.

1. Firstly works perfectly on my new ACER Laptop via USB C port, using a 60W PD Charger, charges the Laptop fully in same time as the charger supplied, so PD charging works.
2. Next I connected Portable 1TB, 2TB & 3TB HDD, as well as 1TB SSD all Toshiba brand. So these are ALL recognized, can both Read and Write to & from Internal Laptop SSD. Also whilst charging as well. Can connect 2 external HDD, plugged into 2 USB3 ports of the Hub.
Working Perfectly thru the Thunderbolt 3 PD port with my 60W PD and Hub's USB C Cable plugged into the Acer Laptop USB PD port.
Therefore. Hub can provide Power and Transfer Data simultaneously.
Great so far.
3. Next I tried USB Flash Drives various capacity 8, 16, 32, & 128GB. Formatted as NTFS, FAT32, EXFat. USB 2 or 3. ALL Work successfully Transferring R/W data in any combination, HDD, SSD and any Flash Drive connected to Hub.
4. Next tried SD and microSD ports, again working perfectly.
5. Then tried Hub's HDMI connected to a TV and played videos stored on HDD, SSD, or Flash Drives. ALL Work.
6. Last test was Ethernet connection in Hub. Transferred D/L @ 50Mb/S, U/L @ 20Mb/s. Direct connected to Router using cat 6 cable.
Similar results compared to PC DATA Transfer rates Direct to Laptop's Ethernet port.

Conclusion this USB C HUB WORKS.

7. Next Test I repeated Same Tests connecting Hub to my Samsung S8 phone. ALL Passed.
8. Repeated Same Tests connected to Samsung S4 TABLET, both have USB C port. ALL Successful. Charging and Data Transfer.

After ALL these Tests:- Conclusion this "8 in 1" Hub Works Perfectly. NO Issues.
Another Bonus stays COOL, due to Aluminium case.

9. After this extensive testing. I connected the Hub to my ChromeCast Google TV device.
Just using a couple of Flash Drives connected. 32 GB FAT32 in USB3 port. Another 128 GB ExFAT in the other USB3 port of the Hub.
Powered by Supplied CCGTV PS or 60 W PD PS. via Hub's PD port.
No issues at first.
10. Played videos stored on either Flash Drive using VLC app. Transferred apps to CCGTV internal memory.
11. Installed X-Plore File Manager app. Flash Drives Recognized.
12. Installed Kodi app setup working.
Installed a mobile app "Ampere Pro", so I could read Current used for both Hub and CCGTV.
Reading 1100mA.
Also installed OTG Viewer app which recognized the Flash Drives originally. MTX Device,

Problem I am having is that either CCGTV or the Hub is NOT ALWAYS recognising the USB Flash Drives inserted.
Very Intermittent, to say the least.
I think the CCGTV needs a Firmware update, I have the Latest Version March 2021 Release.
Maybe Google will get round to it in the Next Year. "Ha Ha Ha Pigs Might Fly".

Using either CCGTV PS or 60W PD PS makes little difference, as Total Current measured is 1.1A, lots less than 1.5A PS Requirement.

Do Other Users, whom are saying their Hubs purchased from Ebay or Amazon Work OK, but I wish to know, if USB Flash Drives are ALWAYS RECOGNISED EVERY POWER UP, or is Intermittently Failing, similar to what I have experienced.

IF NO ISSUES - HOW DO YOU CONNECT HUBs TO CCGTV.
When do You Insert Flash Drive into Hub. ie Before Power Up or After The CCGTV has completely finished Booting Up, with Home Screen appearing on TV , Ready for Use.

I have tried ALL the Different Methods, TRYING TO GET FLASH DRIVE RECOGNIZED.
Most of Time FAILING.

By the Way I have checked ALL Permissions for ALL APPS are Correct.

Any Ideas would be useful. Suggestions Much Appreciated.

Cheers
BeeJ1105.
CCGTV Ampere app.jpg
CCGTV VLC app.jpg
CCWGTV Firmware.jpg
USB C Hub 8in1 Box Front.jpg
USB C Hub 8in1 Box Rear.jpg
USB C Hub 8in1 X-PloreApp.jpg
USB C HUB 8in1.jpg
USB C HUB 8in1_1Ebay.jpg
USB C HUB 8in1_2Ebay.jpg
USB C HUB 8in1_3Ebay.jpg
USB C Hub CCWGTV-Flash Drive1.jpg

Reactions: seanp25

urly2

Jul 8, 2012
1. I used the original charger and it worked very well, an generic 3.0 hub with power delivery, like anker etc...;
2. If I directly connect the micro SD (in the Micro SD slot) it's not recognized only if I connect with a USB card reader adapter; 3. Unfortunately after the April update it seems that Google has been tweaking the system and it is difficult to recognize the EXTERNAL memory. It just doesn't recognize it anymore, you need to change the USB port several times and restart the Chromecast and pray for the external memory to appear. Likewise keyboards, mouse, external cameras only appear available when they want but never work (never shows any images), most of the time it doesn't work.
4. I tested different cell phone chargers, including the Samsung S20 ultra, but with the original chromecast charger the hub works. You must make all connections first (including your home's electrical network) and only then plug the Chromecast into the TV.

rabbit1908

Aug 8, 2021
Hi all,

1. Firstly works perfectly on my new ACER Laptop via USB C port, using a 60W PD Charger, charges the Laptop fully in same time as the charger supplied, so PD charging works.
2. Next I connected Portable 1TB, 2TB & 3TB HDD, as well as 1TB SSD all Toshiba brand. So these are ALL recognized, can both Read and Write to & from Internal Laptop SSD. Also whilst charging as well. Can connect 2 external HDD, plugged into 2 USB3 ports of the Hub.
Working Perfectly thru the Thunderbolt 3 PD port with my 60W PD and Hub's USB C Cable plugged into the Acer Laptop USB PD port.
Great so far.
3. Next I tried USB Flash Drives various capacity 8, 16, 32, & 128GB. Formatted as NTFS, FAT32, EXFat. USB 2 or 3. ALL Work successfully Transferring R/W data in any combination, HDD, SSD and any Flash Drive connected to Hub.
5. Then tried Hub's HDMI connected to a TV and played videos stored on HDD, SSD, or Flash Drives. ALL Work.
6. Last test was Ethernet connection in Hub. Transferred D/L @ 50Mb/S, U/L @ 20Mb/s. Direct connected to Router using cat 6 cable.
Similar results compared to PC DATA Transfer rates Direct to Laptop's Ethernet port.

7. Next Test I repeated Same Tests connecting Hub to my Samsung S8 phone. ALL Passed.
8. Repeated Same Tests connected to Samsung S4 TABLET, both have USB C port. ALL Successful. Charging and Data Transfer.

After ALL these Tests:- Conclusion this "8 in 1" Hub Works Perfectly. NO Issues.

9. After this extensive testing. I connected the Hub to my ChromeCast Google TV device.
Just using a couple of Flash Drives connected. 32 GB FAT32 in USB3 port. Another 128 GB ExFAT in the other USB3 port of the Hub.
No issues at first.
10. Played videos stored on either Flash Drive using VLC app. Transferred apps to CCGTV internal memory.
Installed a mobile app "Ampere Pro", so I could read Current used for both Hub and CCGTV.
Reading 1100mA.
Also installed OTG Viewer app which recognized the Flash Drives originally. MTX Device,

Problem I am having is that either CCGTV or the Hub is NOT ALWAYS recognising the USB Flash Drives inserted.
I think the CCGTV needs a Firmware update, I have the Latest Version March 2021 Release.

Using either CCGTV PS or 60W PD PS makes little difference, as Total Current measured is 1.1A, lots less than 1.5A PS Requirement.

Do Other Users, whom are saying their Hubs purchased from Ebay or Amazon Work OK, but I wish to know, if USB Flash Drives are ALWAYS RECOGNISED EVERY POWER UP, or is Intermittently Failing, similar to what I have experienced.

When do You Insert Flash Drive into Hub. ie Before Power Up or After The CCGTV has completely finished Booting Up, with Home Screen appearing on TV , Ready for Use.

Most of Time FAILING.

Cheers
BeeJ1105.View attachment 5374261View attachment 5374263View attachment 5374265View attachment 5374267View attachment 5374269View attachment 5374271View attachment 5374273View attachment 5374275View attachment 5374277View attachment 5374279View attachment 5374281
Hi all,

Great so far.

No issues at first.
Reading 1100mA.

Most of Time FAILING.

Cheers
BeeJ1105.View attachment 5374261View attachment 5374263View attachment 5374265View attachment 5374267View attachment 5374269View attachment 5374271View attachment 5374273View attachment 5374275View attachment 5374277View attachment 5374279View attachment 5374281
Hi,
I am new here first post and still trying to work out things..but i saw your post while browsing the internet looking for a solution to my problem which is almost identical to yours.

I have the same usbc hub as you do, which also showed the usb's intermittently. (well used to, it doesn't show them at all now), I bought a more expensive 13in1 hub that isn't working well either.

In settings i see the hub connected as if all is ok.. but when i go into Xplore, i don't see them at all (i used to on the hub like yours but no more) On the new hub i have yet to see it show in Xplore or any other app at all. Which made me think it might be Xplore at fault..so looked for other similar apps but nothing seems to show.

Curious.. on your hub there seems like there is a small dot for a light to show on. mine never has come on has yours?

I have a higher power brick and 100w cable so all is there to work properly. My main reason for having this is to put kodi apps on a usb as my internal is always at 4.4? and full. even downloading new apps Ive had to go through every apps cache and delete away over and over.

However now with the new usb hub it sometimes shows my apps all being on the usb and any new ones i download go straight to the usb which is good..but then next time it only shows i have about 5 or 6 apps and i have to do try over and over to get it to show the apps from my usb or delete cache again.
Basically i'm having the same issue.

Which leads me to a question.. on reading this thread last night... i noticed on the right side of this text there was another list of responses (that arn't there as i write now so i can't tell who it was)..but they said along the lines of just getting this certain connection that worked with CCGTV. it was just a cheap usb c connection with a usb and another usb c connection coming from it... which said in its details it actually WORKS with CCGTV, Would this be the solution instead of a hub?
Just plugging that into the google tv and putting a usb drive in the slot and maybe even then we could put the other hub into the usb c port as well and see if that works?

Hope that was understandable in some way?

Reactions: BeeJ1109

BeeJ1109

Sep 26, 2015
Adelaide
Curious.. on your hub there seems like there is a small dot for a light to show on. mine never has come on has yours?
Hi rabbit1908,
I have also purchased another similar Hub, but this time, a "6 in 1" version, same package as my original "8 in 1" version.
Both have the same hole near the 2nd USB C Port, with same markings, that indicates Port is another to plug in flash drives, similar to USB3 A ports.
I found I could connect a PD PS into either Port, still provides power to CCGTV or Flash Drives, as well as Hub's, Power Requirements.
Almost maybe both have parallel power connections, different to info provided by manufacturers, that only USB C PD port will provide power to other connected devices.
Anyway both Hubs have this hole in case, but No LED is lit when using the Hub.
Suspect a fault, or LED is missing on PCB to save costs. There are photos showing it lit up. But being Chinese, it would be impossible to contact the manufacturer to ask the question.
These Hubs are generic, no branding, sellers would not know either.
We can only rely on other users feedback.

I have a higher power brick and 100w cable so all is there to work .

I have a 60W PD High Power Supply as well, but found the Supplied CCGTV PS works, just as well as, the 15W unit. To power up Hub , 2 Flash Drives, and CCGTV devices, ALL Work Successfully, possibly may need extra power, when using ext HDDs connected to Hub. Not tested , as ALL my HDDs are Formatted as NTFS. That will not work with CCGTV, needing FAT32, to be Recognised.
Although my 128GB Flash is ExFAT, and that works perfectly.

I have the same usbc hub as you do, which also showed the usb's intermittently.

In settings i see the hub connected as if all is ok.. but when i go into Xplore, i don't see them at all (i used to on the hub like yours but no more) On the new hub i have yet to see it show in Xplore or any other app at all. Which made me think it might be Xplore at fault..so looked for other similar apps but nothing seems to show .

1. On X-Plore app. I found that USB Flash Drives not being Recognised.
a. So I removed Flash and connected to my PC.
Windows told me, Flash needed to be reformatted. WRONG.
b. So I ran under Command application, type in Run cmd "as administrator" prompt >
chkdsk x: /x /r /f "substitute X for actual drive letter ie G (for Flash Drive)"
[That will repair the corrupted Flash Drive].
c. Restored fixed Flash Drive into Hub.
(Not sure how it got corrupted in CCWGTV, maybe using OTG viewer or power down incorrectly. )
d. Powered up CCWGTV, Hub with 2 Flash Drives, connected to TV HDMI as before.
CCGTV Home Screen appears after bootup completed.
e. Restarted X-plore app. Success Flash drives Recognised. Able to watch Movies again.

Now I have for days using New "6 in 1" Hub, everytime, I use CCGTV with Flash Drives always available. Power down and up recycling, ALL RECOGNISED, WORKS OK. Maybe connecting everything before power on is the FIX. or Not using OTG Viewer app installed on CCGTV, not using it is the Solution.
Future tests will be done on my "8 in 1" Hub, but expect same results.

2. But X-PLORE app works. Only issue now is to get External Flash Drive "Write Access" to work. "Read Only" at the moment on CCGTV device, needs Firmware fix by GOOGLE.

3. Have NOT tried expanding CCGTV 4.4 GB internal memory, by Formatting Flash Drive as Internal. Instead of Portable. Causes problem with not recognised in Windows PC, if not Portable format.
Adding extra Movies, apps, files, will require Transferring them, via X-plore Wireless Sharing to move or copy, or remove on Flash Drive, if Internal memory option is applied.

4. I am sure you can cascade 1 USB C Hub into another USB C Hub via USB C port of the Hub, directly connected to CCWGTV device.
Power supplied into Last HUB's USB C PD port. More experiments required whether either PD port on each Hub, Works Best. Expecting, it will not matter.

That's it for now.
Hope that helps you, with my answers to your comments.

Cheers
Beej1109

Last edited:

beeend3r

Aug 26, 2021
Got this one from my local online store in the Philippines
Vention TGDHB 5-in-1 Type-C To USB 3.0 3 RJ45 Power Delivery Hub 0.15M | Shopee Philippines

View attachment 5170581

3 USB 3.0 & 1 Gigabit Ethernet Port works flawlessly!

I've attached 3 USB devices like USB Generic Camera (For Google Duo), 16gb USB 3.0 Flash Storage & an ISDB-T TV Tuner (to be used by the Live Channels app). And so far, I am satisfied.

View attachment 5170583
View attachment 5170585
View attachment 5170587
Any reason to a 6 in 1 Hub from this same brand Vention didn't worked with a 87w PD Charger ? Canno't connect any device and the RJ45 Cable. CCwGTV don't recognize anything.

Also, tested the HUB in another devices like laptop and computers and worked all ports like a charm. Only in CCwGTV don't worked.

Edit: Just to confirm, I bought another Vention Hub, now the 5-in-1 model and it worked like a charm. Loved it!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your guys' options are spendy. I got it done with this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C5FWQND/

You can plug any old hub into it you have laying around and it'll (probably) work.
    Hi all,

Great so far.